= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 8, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #12,871 of 21,179

Apart from the details and resolution, this is the complete opposite of what I heard in the H10 thread of the pairing with the HE-560. I have not heard someone say the sound is neutral.

It's interesting how we hear stuff differently. What's the X12's sound like?

I should note this is in comparison to the Lyr 2 - I find the H10 much 'cooler' sounding, and more towards neutral with the 560. Not that the Lyr is overly un-neutral, mind you. Having owned a bunch of SS amps in the past, I will say the H10 is the only one that I've actually held on to, which is likely due to the fact that I like the dynamic (read non-neutral) sound.

The X12 is really open and spacious, while the Gungnir is more dynamic and punchy. Everything seems more up front on the Gungnir, while it's a lot more airy on the X12. Paired with the Lyr, the X12 was just a tad too dry. While paired with the H10, the Gungnir is too forward - like someone pressed the loudness button.

Ironically, the X12 + H10 and Gungnir + Lyr2 end up being the most synergistic pairings, go figure. Overall I prefer the Lyr and Gungnir as they give me the most out-of-head experience, but I think the Gustard combo is one of the best values out there right now <$1k.

Goes to show sound is very subjective. I had a pair of HE-6s which I really disliked, and swore off Hifiman as a result. Then picked up a pair of HE-400is in a trade which totally changed my mind and lead me to the HE-560s, which in turn caused me to sell my HD600 & HD800.

May 8, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #12,872 of 21,179
  I should note this is in comparison to the Lyr 2 - I find the H10 much 'cooler' sounding, and more towards neutral with the 560. Not that the Lyr is overly un-neutral, mind you. Having owned a bunch of SS amps in the past, I will say the H10 is the only one that I've actually held on to, which is likely due to the fact that I like the dynamic (read non-neutral) sound.

The X12 is really open and spacious, while the Gungnir is more dynamic and punchy. Everything seems more up front on the Gungnir, while it's a lot more airy on the X12. Paired with the Lyr, the X12 was just a tad too dry. While paired with the H10, the Gungnir is too forward - like someone pressed the loudness button.

Ironically, the X12 + H10 and Gungnir + Lyr2 end up being the most synergistic pairings, go figure. Overall I prefer the Lyr and Gungnir as they give me the most out-of-head experience, but I think the Gustard combo is one of the best values out there right now <$1k.

Goes to show sound is very subjective. I had a pair of HE-6s which I really disliked, and swore off Hifiman as a result. Then picked up a pair of HE-400is in a trade which totally changed my mind and lead me to the HE-560s, which in turn caused me to sell my HD600 & HD800.

Thanks for this detailed perspective. My amp+dac combo is really 3D/holographic in sound too, dynamic and on the smooth side of neutral but the amp was just missing juice as far as volume with my stuff with more dynamic range and to push the details and resolution full out on the HE-560. It seems like the H10 has more of an intimate presentation, in your opinion, and not really as expansive in soundstage as the Lyr (or I might be reading that wrong). But I will also use my current amp as a preamp to see what the sound is like, as it's spacious.

I like how you describe how the characteristics of each component just naturally fuse their strengths/weaknesses into different sounds.

This is making me more impatient that the tracking number I was provided for the H10 isn't showing any information with DHL tracking...and it was shipped on sunday (monday in china). I've read that it's not uncommon for them to have scanning issues and stuff but I've never had this happen personally before. 

Hopefully it meets the expected delivery time. Can't wait to try it out.

May 8, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #12,873 of 21,179

You have offered one of the better comparisons i have seen between the combinations. They are both great for planars as well as a variety of impedance loads. I need to try the X12.

Are you using Gen 2 USB for Gungnir?

May 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #12,875 of 21,179
May 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #12,876 of 21,179
Either the Violectric V281 or Auralic Taurus MK2 but I'm leaning 95% towards the latter since I can get it cheaper unless I can get a real good price on the V281 which is unlikely.

I just need to wait for my balanced cable to arrive. I ordered a week or 2 ago so hopefully it comes soon.

I may end up upgrading in the future but I do want to wait until I find out what is replacing the HE-6 but that probably is a long way off.

May 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #12,877 of 21,179
Thanks for this detailed perspective. My amp+dac combo is really 3D/holographic in sound too, dynamic and on the smooth side of neutral but the amp was just missing juice as far as volume with my stuff with more dynamic range and to push the details and resolution full out on the HE-560. It seems like the H10 has more of an intimate presentation, in your opinion, and not really as expansive in soundstage as the Lyr (or I might be reading that wrong). But I will also use my current amp as a preamp to see what the sound is like, as it's spacious.

I like how you describe how the characteristics of each component just naturally fuse their strengths/weaknesses into different sounds.

This is making me more impatient that the tracking number I was provided for the H10 isn't showing any information with DHL tracking...and it was shipped on sunday (monday in china). I've read that it's not uncommon for them to have scanning issues and stuff but I've never had this happen personally before. 

Hopefully it meets the expected delivery time. Can't wait to try it out.

You're definitely going to like the H10 if this is what you're expecting. Let us know what you think when you receive it!

You have offered one of the better comparisons i have seen between the combinations. They are both great for planars as well as a variety of impedance loads. I need to try the X12.

Are you using Gen 2 USB for Gungnir?

Cheers! X12 is definitely worth a look. I've spoken with quite a few people who preferred it to the Gungnir, but none was pairing it with a tube amp, and that's where I think it comes into it's own.

I am using a Gen 2 board, input either through an old Sony progressive DVD player via coax, or via my 2014 Macbook Pro using Audirvana + with power of 2 upsampling and custom SRC settings. I'm currently listening to a FLAC of John Coltrane's Love Supreme upsampled to 32/176.4 and the sound is sublime.

If you get the Gungnir, it really comes into it's own with A+ and upsampling. I was using Bitperfect/Pure Music before, and never really happy with the sound - which is why I ended up buying the X12 in the first place. I recently purchased A+ and played extensively with the Izotope SRC settings until I found one that is really synergistic with the Gungnir. I had a rare moment of audio euphoria when the settings finally fell into place - I was listening to a FLAC of BB Kings Live at the Regal, and for the first time ever felt like I was actually in the audience. It was a real 'wow' moment.

May 8, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #12,878 of 21,179
These headphones are 35 ohm correct? I remember there was a different number than what was posted on the hifiman site but could be mistaken.

I just ordered my amp so should arrive next week. It looks to be more powerful SE than balanced so should be interesting how balanced on the headphone will be.

May 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #12,880 of 21,179
Thanks. I couldn't remember what the current value is. They really should update their website to reflect what it is now.

May 8, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #12,881 of 21,179
These headphones are 35 ohm correct? I remember there was a different number than what was posted on the hifiman site but could be mistaken.

I just ordered my amp so should arrive next week. It looks to be more powerful SE than balanced so should be interesting how balanced on the headphone will be.

That is odd, more powerful SE? Do tell.

May 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #12,882 of 21,179
It's only more powerful at 32 ohm from the specs which is near what's on the hifiman website. The rest of the numbers is more typical where balanced is ahead of se in power. The amp is the auralic taurus mk2

May 8, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #12,883 of 21,179
It's only more powerful at 32 ohm from the specs which is near what's on the hifiman website. The rest of the numbers is more typical where balanced is ahead of se in power. The amp is the auralic taurus mk2

Got it, gorgeous amp from what I've read.

May 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #12,884 of 21,179
HiFiman corrected the resistance for the 560 up to 50 ohms.

May 8, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #12,885 of 21,179

Had a chance to listen to 560 through this amp.
It is indeed an excellent pairing.
You get everything you look for in a SS amp: clarity, speed, accuracy. 
Great compliment to any ortho cans, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back