= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 21, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #12,407 of 21,176
+1 to that.

Cypher Labs Solo, Theorem or Duet info would be nice too. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #12,408 of 21,176

I need some advice.
I want to get a case for my HE 560. I got one from Hifiman for the 400i. At the time they had two cases. One for th 400/500 series and one for the 400i/560.
Now they only list one for the "HE" series. I can't tell whether it is the correct one with the cutouts for the new headband style.
this is the link:
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207
Has anyone gotten one of these recently? Is it the correct one for the 560?
It seesm I read on this or the 400i thread that somebody got one in the last few weeks that did not fit. So, I thought I would ask before ordering the wrong thing.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #12,409 of 21,176
I have the M8 ,but don't yet have balanced cables for the 560. I'm away for the weekend, but I can give you some impressions when I get home, if you'd like.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #12,411 of 21,176
Actually was considering selling it...good sounding unit, but the configuration doesn't exactly match my needs, and while it does sound good as a usb da/amp for my computer, I like the LH Labs Geek Out SE a bit more (sq wise, more limited options with the GO, though...the GO SE is borderline as far as powering the 560 IMO, but mostly works OK).

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #12,412 of 21,176
It's been over a month now that I received my He560's. I listen to a lot of vinyl on my main sysem on professionaly calibrated Salk speakers. With that I mind, I never feel a need to further EQ the audio on my main system. My ears are calibrated to this accurate sound and when I hear other systems that aren't eq'd to this level, I notice itheir shortcomings immediately.

With that in mind, I feel the same way listening to the He-560's as I do with my main system. These phones are tonally correct! As soon as I put them on, I can tell! None of this "well maybe they need to break in" stuff to justify substandard sound(although they have gotten even better with break in). These things sounded great right out of the box.

I typically listen on my iPad and Fiio E12 diy portable headphone amp or via my Burson Soloist in my main rig. I will occasionally switch to my Akg Q701s and Psb M4U2 phones.
The Q's aren't embarresed by the 560's but they are harder sounding. Not harsh or edgy, just harder hitting with a bit less bass. The Psbs are remarkably pleasant to listen to but don't have that 560 focus and clarity.

I have recently auditioned many headphones at a special Magnolia store and none of those sets can compete with the 560's.
Sennheiser hd700...to hard and bright sounding. Large soundstage though.
McIntosh $2,000. Hard and cold sounding. Maybe serious break in needed.
B&O H6... Not bad, but they have a pronounced peak somewhere in the high end that's somewhat fatiguing within 10-15 minutes of listening.
sennheiser Hd650....yawn! Not bad really and definitely better than the HD 700s.
b&W 7.....obvious coloration and tubby bass. Not too bad overall
The other lower end models were worse than those mentioned above.

And let's not take for granted that the 560's sound great even at low volume and with lower bitrate mp3's compared to any other phone I've heard. Some phones do come to life with louder volume and/or higher bit rate files. The 560's sound great all various volume levels and bitrates.

As you can tell. I'm very happy with these headphones and do not feel the need to further Audition the competition ,however I wouldn't mind hearing Audezes or Mr. Speakers.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #12,413 of 21,176

I need some advice.
I want to get a case for my HE 560. I got one from Hifiman for the 400i. At the time they had two cases. One for th 400/500 series and one for the 400i/560.
Now they only list one for the "HE" series. I can't tell whether it is the correct one with the cutouts for the new headband style.
this is the link:
It seesm I read on this or the 400i thread that somebody got one in the last few weeks that did not fit. So, I thought I would ask before ordering the wrong thing.

judging by the pixs, it looks like the incorrect case. i wld be careful.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #12,414 of 21,176
@Hifi59, you shld at least listen to the hd800 as well. i do personally prefer the he560, but the hd800 is a must-audition (imo) for people interested in flagship headphones.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #12,416 of 21,176
Has anyone tried pairing up the Centrance M8 with the HE-560 using balanced cables? If so, what do you think of the sound/synergy? I am interested in using the m8 to drive these cans. Thanks all.

I have the M8 ,but don't yet have balanced cables for the 560. I'm away for the weekend, but I can give you some impressions when I get home, if you'd like.

I sold mine before I had got my HE-560. No need to wait to get a balanced cable to test HE-560. The M8 only has a balanced output, the amp is still SE regardless of the cable used. So it won't matter.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #12,417 of 21,176
I need some advice.
this is the link:

I have the same issue before, I think the previous case specifically designed for the new hifiman hps were discontinued. The new case is the same as the old case but with a difference of 10cm in height (laying down). I was sent the wrong case if you would back read a couple of pages, and they sent me the new case after contacting them. The headband wont sit on the shape of the mold but you will be able to close the case this time because of the height. What I did is cut off some of the rubber foam and the headband now sits perfectly. I guess they are cost cutting so that they will maintain a single case for the whole hp line up. I can post pics tomorrow since my 560 and the cases are in the office.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #12,418 of 21,176
I have the same issue before, I think the previous case specifically designed for the new hifiman hps were discontinued. The new case is the same as the old case but with a difference of 10cm in height (laying down). I was sent the wrong case if you would back read a couple of pages, and they sent me the new case after contacting them. The headband wont sit on the shape of the mold but you will be able to close the case this time because of the height. What I did is cut off some of the rubber foam and the headband now sits perfectly. I guess they are cost cutting so that they will maintain a single case for the whole hp line up. I can post pics tomorrow since my 560 and the cases are in the office.

That would be great.. and thanks for the reply !!

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #12,419 of 21,176

I listened to the HD800 yesterday-on the Amp made for it- HDVD800(?). Wider soundstage-but somehow thinner sounding. I prefer the bass with the HE-560 and the overall sound. I'd say better or not is mostly up to personal taste. Taste leans towards the HE-560

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #12,420 of 21,176
  I listened to the HD800 yesterday-on the Amp made for it- HDVD800(?). Wider soundstage-but somehow thinner sounding. I prefer the bass with the HE-560 and the overall sound. I'd say better or not is mostly up to personal taste. Taste leans towards the HE-560

Seems to be a fairly consistent refrain. I think we need to consider that with the HD 800 being released for so long now that it has been at least a reference target for those seeking to create new headphones, and as such it should be no surprise that the competition has caught up. I would suggest that even Sennheiser realizes this and has wisely decided to work on another flagship offering if rumours are to be believed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back