= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 2, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #11,941 of 21,171
  One question that is particularly personal to me is how does this sound with Radiohead's Rainbows compared to the HE-560's competition? If I had it narrow it down even further I'd pick 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place'. Pretty much any headphone that does that song superbly or the best is a winner in my book. Can't wait to test this with the 560 for myself but thought I'd ask the community first.

If anyone can answer this, it would mean a lot 
biggrin.gif

I've never heard this album before.  It sounds fantastic on my setup.  

The treble is pretty hot, but these headphones do a great job of presenting the treble without it getting too harsh.  It's one of the things I like about the HE-560, actually: it gives about as much treble as you can without crossing that line into harshness.  At least to my imperfect ears.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #11,942 of 21,171
  I'd like to find a meet!  What is your rig? Mine is Oppo BDP-105D Universal player/DAC to Rane DEQ60L 30 Band Pro EQ to either a  2007 A/VYamaha V657 or today- a 1992 Denon Stereo DRA 635R-which surprisingly, I think has more dynamic range-and sweeter treble-go figure! I am now unsure if I "need" a dedicated HP Amp.  I am EQing my ears more than anything else btw.

I think the "Audeze sound" is quite different from the Hifiman 560. It is very good-but I think less detailed. The best way I can describe it-is as if I am either sitting fairly close to the stage with live acoustic music (such as symphony) or way back in a large hall where I am hearing more indirect sound. Both are good-just different. I am comparing the LCD-X and LCD-2 (both with "Fazor.:)
They are considerably heavier-but I wore them for no more than an hour with a lot of swapping.
Note: I've worn the HE 560 for most of a day without any discomfort.

Sounds like a nice rig there! My rig is in my signature line. I also was able to hear a LCD 2 with Fazor and yes, as with the LCD 3, I would agree with your assessment. Less focused on detail and more toward lush, but ultimately still plenty of detail, just less treble extension, but very smooth delivery in everything. I was hosting the meet so I didn't get long enough with either LCD, but I can say with certainty that I was not at all feeling envy as to my ears the 560s keeps right up with the LCD 3 and I like the detail retrieval ability. Sure, it can punish you with poor recordings, but as I always say risk and reward as good recordings are just a treat. I think that is the same Oppo player my brother has in his home system and it sounds fantastic.While I didn't find the LCDs uncomfortable, I also didn't wear them for long either. The owner of the LCD 3 did say he couldn't wear them for hours without getting a hot spot at the top of his head so yes on that front the 560 slays.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #11,943 of 21,171
To bend the spring steel band slightly, push the cups all the way down such that the most amount of the steel is exposed, then put your thumbs on either side of where the steel makes its natural bend, and slowly but firmly bend out. Repeat on the other side. Test your work. If still too tight, repeat. If too loose (after a while; the steel may want to return to its original position slightly), just reverse the process.

I've done it quite a few times in both directions, and the band is fine (i.e., no breaking :wink:

HTH.

hiya, i'm not native, so while your instruction is as clear as it gets, i couldn't really understand them as it is...
i'm terribly sorry but, my english language ability in regards to mathematical terms are severely limited so, horizontal, vertical, perpendicular, bend, stretch, inwards, outwards confuses me.

by the way, i know mine is he-400i, but on he-400i thread, but on he-400i thread, i searched "strong clamp force" and i came with very little result, while on he-560, the result is abundant.
I never have any issue with hd 6x0, audeze headphones, oppo headphones, or grado headphones. but my he-400i is quite figuratively trying to kill me with it's clamp force.

That's why i ask here. Strong clamp force doesn't even begin to describe how this feels in my head. This is figuratively a death grip for me. And i had no problem with Audeze weights.
The metal headband on my he-400i is horizontal (if not bends inward), instead of outward. I'm guessing based on the difference between promotional photos and my own he400i, that's where the death grip came from.

my issue with this is that the some of the earpad push that part of the head that is right behind your ear, because clamp is so strong, so it pushes. That really gives me headache, literally.

so... any help on this would be appreciated...

Anyway, this is my understanding of your clear instruction. I know that you most likely doesn't mean it like this, but this is as much as i could understand...
(i know that this is interpreting your instruction wrong, please kindly advice me on how to properly bend it).

when you said put thumbs on the steel natural bend, and firmly bend out. this is as much as i could understand...

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #11,945 of 21,171
I've noticed some peeling in the wooded veneer. It's not a huge thing, in fact the cracks are so tiny, you need to catch it in a certain light to see it. But it's there, I can feel it and it bugs the heck outta me. I wounder if there's anyway to fix it.

How is the bass on the 560 compared to the HE400, HE500, HE400i, D2000 etc etc? I was put off buying the HE400i due to not having much bass, but what about these?

The bass quality is fantastic, detailed and textured, with a addictive quality only planars have. But if you find the 400i doesn't have enough quantity, the 560s won't satisfy you either. Try the lcd 2 if you want more bass quantity.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #11,946 of 21,171

To bend the spring steel band slightly, push the cups all the way down such that the most amount of the steel is exposed, then put your thumbs on either side of where the steel makes its natural bend, and slowly but firmly bend out. Repeat on the other side. Test your work. If still too tight, repeat. If too loose (after a while; the steel may want to return to its original position slightly), just reverse the process.

I've done it quite a few times in both directions, and the band is fine (i.e., no breaking :wink:

HTH.

hiya, i'm not native, so while your instruction is as clear as it gets, i couldn't really understand them as it is...
i'm terribly sorry but, my english language ability in regards to mathematical terms are severely limited so, horizontal, vertical, perpendicular, bend, stretch, inwards, outwards confuses me.

by the way, i know mine is he-400i, but on he-400i thread, but on he-400i thread, i searched "strong clamp force" and i came with very little result, while on he-560, the result is abundant.
I never have any issue with hd 6x0, audeze headphones, oppo headphones, or grado headphones. but my he-400i is quite figuratively trying to kill me with it's clamp force.

That's why i ask here. Strong clamp force doesn't even begin to describe how this feels in my head. This is figuratively a death grip for me. And i had no problem with Audeze weights.
The metal headband on my he-400i is horizontal (if not bends inward), instead of outward. I'm guessing based on the difference between promotional photos and my own he400i, that's where the death grip came from.

my issue with this is that the some of the earpad push that part of the head that is right behind your ear, because clamp is so strong, so it pushes. That really gives me headache, literally.

so... any help on this would be appreciated...

Anyway, this is my understanding of your clear instruction. I know that you most likely doesn't mean it like this, but this is as much as i could understand...
(i know that this is interpreting your instruction wrong, please kindly advice me on how to properly bend it).

when you said put thumbs on the steel natural bend, and firmly bend out. this is as much as i could understand...

Try this, using two hands.

Put your thumbs on the outside of the band, opposite as what you've pictured... one thumb on either side of the angle (what I call the "bend" - as a noun - not to be confused with the verb "to bend")... then grip the steel with your other fingers and apply even pressure, bending outward.

Your thumbs will provide stability, and focus the outward bending pressure on that angle.  That will lessen the clamping pressure.  If you loosen it too much, you can bend it back, but I've found a certain amount of clamping pressure will return naturally.  Once you get the principle of how to adjust it, you can experiment.

HTH.  Still waking up.

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #11,948 of 21,171
No, you can't stain these as they would have a top-coat. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried, most likely you would ruin them and the finish would be blotchy and cloudy. As these are a thin veneer of wood I'm not even sure if you could gently sand and refinish the cups. I certainly wouldn't try if I were you (unless you are experienced at working with wood veneer).

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #11,954 of 21,171
  I've removed those last off-topic posts.

But I want to read the controversial stuff as well. Where is the fun in removing such posts? Now I'll never know what happened when I was away. Too bad.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #11,955 of 21,171
Nothing much Man, we were continuing our conversation about music and the 560's. Let Jexby know I was digging the Black Angels, and somebody felt left out:disappointed_relieved:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back