= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #11,686 of 21,171
So I recently purchased a pair of HE-560's.  Previously I had been using a Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 to power my HD650's, which worked well.  I'm afraid the TubeMagic just isn't powerful enough for the HE-560's.  I'm trying to determine what the best sub $500 amp would be for the HE-560's.  Below are the amps i'm considering (in no particular order), but am open to any suggestions.

-Schiit Lyr
-Schiit Lyr2
-Emotiva Mini-X a-100
-Hifiman EF-5
-Garage1217 Polaris
-Garage 1217 Ember

What does everyone suggest? 

i think ur list is solid. specwise if u want very powerful tube hybrid amp, lyr 2 fpr 4w. feature wise, if u want the best tube hybrid for tube rolling, project ember (2.4w). i havent rly researched ur other options as well.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #11,687 of 21,171
i think ur list is solid. specwise if u want very powerful tube hybrid amp, lyr 2 fpr 4w. feature wise, if u want the best tube hybrid for tube rolling, project ember (2.4w). i havent rly researched ur other options as well.

I have heard that the Ember is good with the 560. Have you heard it?

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #11,688 of 21,171
Also keep in mind that tube amps typically cost more than the retail price if you want to tube roll so that is something to consider.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #11,689 of 21,171
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I think originally I was leaning toward the LYR2 or maybe the Emotiva mini, but now i'm seriously considering one of the Garage1217's after reading all the positive feedback.  Is anyone using the Emotiva with the HE-560?  There are plenty of reports of people using the Emotiva speaker amp with the HE-500, but I can't find much with the HE-560.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #11,690 of 21,171

You might want to consider the Gustard H10, its meant to be great with the HE-560's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier

This does look like an interesting amp as well......going to be a difficult decision without actually being able to listen to all of these amps.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #11,691 of 21,171
  This does look like an interesting amp as well......going to be a difficult decision without actually being able to listen to all of these amps.

If you're looking for single-ended solid state, the Gustard seems to be a really good value pick.  I was definitely considering it before I got my NFB-28.

What are you using for a DAC?

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #11,692 of 21,171
  So I recently purchased a pair of HE-560's.  Previously I had been using a Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 to power my HD650's, which worked well.  I'm afraid the TubeMagic just isn't powerful enough for the HE-560's.  I'm trying to determine what the best sub $500 amp would be for the HE-560's.  Below are the amps i'm considering (in no particular order), but am open to any suggestions.

-Schiit Lyr
-Schiit Lyr2
-Emotiva Mini-X a-100
-Hifiman EF-5
-Garage1217 Polaris
-Garage 1217 Ember

What does everyone suggest? 

I am curious to hear what you end up with!
I tried the HiFiman EF-5 with the HE-560's- and it was great-more than enough power. I have been listening via the head phone amp in my Oppo BDP-105D (driven by a Sabre 9018 32 bit DAC and it also seems to have more than enough power. When I was A/Bing I also listened to a Burson Soloist ($599) which I thought sounded brighter than the HiFiMan EF5. If any BDP-105 or 105D owners are reading this-the caveat is that I seem to get more output listening either to CD's or SACD Stereo layer than the SACD multi Channel layer (where on some recordings there is not enough power I suppose because the rear ambience channels are averaged with the L/R/C). Once my phones are broken in -at around 60 hours of the suggested 150-I'll probably go A/B again. I have a feeling I'll be comparing the hybrid tube EF5 with the Shiit!

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #11,693 of 21,171
Gorgeous!!
Quote:
  I've remade the cups from yesterday out of teak wood to match the original prototype cases. I've also ordered SMC connectors to mount in the cups and when I get those in they're pretty much done.Here are the results so far.

With vs without oil.

Both oiled with grill installed.

With the stock cups for reference.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #11,694 of 21,171

If you're looking for single-ended solid state, the Gustard seems to be a really good value pick.  I was definitely considering it before I got my NFB-28.

What are you using for a DAC?

I was looking at the specs on the NFB-28- fantastic! Same as my Sabre 9018 in the BDP-105D- with vastly more power. I really wonder if all that extra current will change the sound. I get way more than enough (to hearing loss) volume now-I just wonder if the extra will "control" the sound in better ways.
Please excuse any silly questions-I am new to the head phone world! 

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #11,696 of 21,171
  I was looking at the specs on the NFB-28- fantastic! Same as my Sabre 9018 in the BDP-105D- with vastly more power. I really wonder if all that extra current will change the sound. I get way more than enough (to hearing loss) volume now-I just wonder if the extra will "control" the sound in better ways.
Please excuse any silly questions-I am new to the head phone world! 

Last night I compared the NFB-15 DAC with the built-in amp vs the amp in the NFB-28.  The soundstage was quite noticeably (almost dramatically) improved both in side-to-side and front-to-back dimensions.  I felt like the it was a bit fuller sounding as well, though that was a slight difference.

And yes, it's WAY more power than I'll need with the HE-560 and that's only using the SE output, which has less than half the power of the balanced.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #11,697 of 21,171
  Right now I'm using it with the a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1.  I also have an Emotiva XDA-2, but I haven't tried the HE-560's with that yet.

Your D1 should be giving you some of that "tube sound" on the DAC side of things as it's a tube DAC.  So maybe pairing with a SS amp might be better?  Personally, I'd be concerned about too much tube if you have DAC and Amp.  YMMV of course.  I've never heard a tube DAC plus tube amp combo so I'm just theorizing.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #11,698 of 21,171
  Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I think originally I was leaning toward the LYR2 or maybe the Emotiva mini, but now i'm seriously considering one of the Garage1217's after reading all the positive feedback.  Is anyone using the Emotiva with the HE-560?  There are plenty of reports of people using the Emotiva speaker amp with the HE-500, but I can't find much with the HE-560.

It would be equally nice with the 560 I'm sure. If you have need of a decent speaker amp anyway and think you might spring for one consider simply having a speaker tap cable made and be done with it. Headphones and speakers in one package. If that isn't for you others are making great suggestions here, but I certainly am a strong proponent of using the speaker tap route.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #11,700 of 21,171

It would be equally nice with the 560 I'm sure. If you have need of a decent speaker amp anyway and think you might spring for one consider simply having a speaker tap cable made and be done with it. Headphones and speakers in one package. If that isn't for you others are making great suggestions here, but I certainly am a strong proponent of using the speaker tap route.

I was using the Emotiva with the HE-4 for awhile.  Worked very well and I still have the Emotiva amp lying around.  I currently do not have it set up for the HE-560.  I have not had any time to look for tge speaker taps I made for the HE-4.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back