= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #11,521 of 21,171

I couldn't agree more. I find it curious when some folks say that a headphone "makes" *some* recordings sound bad.  I keep going back to thinking that some headphones just reveal how bad a recording actually is. Some mask it. Doesn't that mean that those are masking some of the defects? If faithful reproduction is what we want, those are not doing it.

Having said that, I find the 560 with the sources that I have tried  and amps that I have used to be a bit hot in the upper midrange. I don't find them sibilant per se. But they really do reveal any microphone or recording information that highlights things like S sounds. It is not like the kind of harsh sound that I usually assign to sibilance... it is not painful or aggravating... to me. But if it is there, you definitely hear it.

I have got around 100 hours on my set. I typically do not really hear much change in most headphones from out of the box to several hundreds hours of use. I am going through the exercise in any case..
just as a new data point.

I picked up a Modi Uber just to try. It is definitely a bit more laid back than the ESS DAC in the NFB 11... this driving the Polaris.

I plan to play some more with speaker taps and some of my hybrid amps... I am also strongly considering the Jerg 1.5 mods..
He claims that the shelf liner disk with the hole in the center brings some, in his terms, "Welcome"  treble reduction!

It's the same difference whether a headphone reveals imperfections accurately (making the song sound bad) or a headphone glosses over imperfections (making the song sound good).  At the end of the day, taking pride in the fact that your music sounds like **** because your headphones are so good is a little counterproductive, no?  
biggrin.gif

The real point to take away is that there are headphone setups that can be revealing without being harsh in the trebles.  As you eluded, it's a combination of factors in the chain, but the headphone has the largest effect and it's the easiest to change.  You can't do much about a bad recording.

I tried chasing the elusive perfect treble with my HE-4 with pad swaps and gear swaps and such.  Eventually I realized it was a lot easier to just get a headphone that performed better in the trebles.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #11,523 of 21,171

I couldn't agree more. I find it curious when some folks say that a headphone "makes" *some* recordings sound bad.  I keep going back to thinking that some headphones just reveal how bad a recording actually is. Some mask it. Doesn't that mean that those are masking some of the defects? If faithful reproduction is what we want, those are not doing it.

Having said that, I find the 560 with the sources that I have tried  and amps that I have used to be a bit hot in the upper midrange. I don't find them sibilant per se. But they really do reveal any microphone or recording information that highlights things like S sounds. It is not like the kind of harsh sound that I usually assign to sibilance... it is not painful or aggravating... to me. But if it is there, you definitely hear it.

I have got around 100 hours on my set. I typically do not really hear much change in most headphones from out of the box to several hundreds hours of use. I am going through the exercise in any case..
just as a new data point.

I picked up a Modi Uber just to try. It is definitely a bit more laid back than the ESS DAC in the NFB 11... this driving the Polaris.

I plan to play some more with speaker taps and some of my hybrid amps... I am also strongly considering the Jerg 1.5 mods..
He claims that the shelf liner disk with the hole in the center brings some, in his terms, "Welcome"  treble reduction!

Nice let us now if you do try the mod. The Modi is a great lt DAC isn't it?

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #11,524 of 21,171

I've found that I've been getting tinnitus since owning the HE560s and I wonder whether it's a treble spike issue.  They don't have an apparent spike to me, but certain recordings can 'bite' a bit up there.  Maybe I've been pumping the volume a little too much as well, just because I love these cans so much!  But, I still find a little fatigue with them more than my other cans, say HD598, HP50 etc..

HP50 are fairly smooth, I owned a set for about 3 months before selling them. Liked them, but overall they were slightly more flat then I could adjust to, much like the HD 650 which I also sold for that reason. Never heard the 598. If you have been pumping out the volume steady, that is more likely the cause and you should really back off on it for a while. Give the ears a break. I also listen quite loud, but for me the saving grace is that I often can go a week or more without using headphones for more than say 15 or 20 minutes, sometimes not at all for days at a time. Be careful.

Thanks, I know and I have been taking it easy since.  I'm sire my tinnitus has actuallu lessened over the past couple of weeks but it's still there so that's a worry and enough for me to be exercising more caution.  I know I can easily acclimatise to a lower volume, which I have been doing but headphones like my MA900 and HP50 cause me no aggravation at all, whereas the HE560 and HE400 I tend to be more sensitive to.  I'm doing a lot more listening on my Yamaha HS80M monitors at the moment.  Thanks for the reply mate.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #11,525 of 21,171
Can i get some advise on amp.. I am currently using a NFB-15.32 for my HE-560, but it seems that there is peaky highs in some recordings. Would it smooths the highs to no-peak-at-all if i get another amp. I am thinking about either EF-100 or Lyr 2. Both seem to be good pairing, arent they? Or any other suggestions?

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #11,526 of 21,171
I read somewhere that the HiFiMan headphones come with and extra set of SMC connectors for making your own cables.  Can anyone confirm if that is still true (if it ever was)?

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #11,527 of 21,171
  Thanks, I know and I have been taking it easy since.  I'm sire my tinnitus has actuallu lessened over the past couple of weeks but it's still there so that's a worry and enough for me to be exercising more caution.  I know I can easily acclimatise to a lower volume, which I have been doing but headphones like my MA900 and HP50 cause me no aggravation at all, whereas the HE560 and HE400 I tend to be more sensitive to.  I'm doing a lot more listening on my Yamaha HS80M monitors at the moment.  Thanks for the reply mate.

Good to hear that your symptoms are getting better. I have heard some horror stories about tinnitus that scare the crap out of me. That is likely a good approach, use cans that are more relaxed for the majority of listening, but when you need that extra special session, indulge in the 560s. Did you say you were using the Focus-A pads, or are you using the stock pads? I have only heard the stock pads, but as I am sure you are aware the Focus-A pads are supposed to be more mellow. Have you tried using a parametric eq to back off some of the frequencies most likely causing the issues?

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #11,528 of 21,171
I read somewhere that the HiFiMan headphones come with and extra set of SMC connectors for making your own cables.  Can anyone confirm if that is still true (if it ever was)?

I've purchased mine in the last few weeks and I didn't receive any with mine. I'm unsure if they ever did supply them. You can buy them for $10 I believe.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #11,529 of 21,171

I've purchased mine in the last few weeks and I didn't receive any with mine. I'm unsure if they ever did supply them. You can buy them for $10 I believe.

Okay, thanks.  I was hoping to avoid buying from Head Direct because I hate when they charge $6 shipping when I KNOW it costs them less than half that.  It's not like shipping prices are a secret and those connectors could fit in an envelope.  >.<

I'll probably just order some from China and then wait and wait and wait...

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #11,530 of 21,171

Okay, thanks.  I was hoping to avoid buying from Head Direct because I hate when they charge $6 shipping when I KNOW it costs them less than half that.  It's not like shipping prices are a secret and those connectors could fit in an envelope.  >.<

I'll probably just order some from China and then wait and wait and wait...

Couldn't you find the connectors closer to home? I know Norne Audio sells some connectors/adapters. Perhaps they might be able to sell these to you? I'm sure there must be quite a few US suppliers as they are standardized connectors used in other applications. The catch may be everybody wants to sell you 500 pieces! Good luck.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #11,531 of 21,171
Yes, HFM used to supply an extra pair of connectors.  I received them with both my HE-500s (all three, if you count the used one I bought first).  I'm not sure if I got them with the HE-560s.  Pity they decided to go cheap 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #11,532 of 21,171
Tah-dah! One tulipwooden cup for the my HE-560 is nearly done. I think mini xlr will be a bit too big for the cases so I'm looking for alternatives, please let me know if you have a suggestion. This wood is pretty soft so easy to work with but also easy to mess up. The first cup shattered while turning the thin wall on my end mill. I have enough tulipwood for one more cup so I can't mess that one up. If I do however, I'll be making them out of maple or teak. Also, the plastic ring doesn't fit perfectly yet but that's for tomorrow.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #11,533 of 21,171

Couldn't you find the connectors closer to home? I know Norne Audio sells some connectors/adapters. Perhaps they might be able to sell these to you? I'm sure there must be quite a few US suppliers as they are standardized connectors used in other applications. The catch may be everybody wants to sell you 500 pieces! Good luck.

Most other places I've seen them besides eBay are actually charging more.  I'm going to keep digging, but if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #11,534 of 21,171
Tah-dah! One tulipwooden cup for the my HE-560 is nearly done. I think mini xlr will be a bit too big for the cases so I'm looking for alternatives, please let me know if you have a suggestion. This wood is pretty soft so easy to work with but also easy to mess up. The first cup shattered while turning the thin wall on my end mill. I have enough tulipwood for one more cup so I can't mess that one up. If I do however, I'll be making them out of maple or teak. Also, the plastic ring doesn't fit perfectly yet but that's for tomorrow.

Wow, very, very nice. I'm impressed (read: jealous!). =)

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #11,535 of 21,171

I got an extra set with my HE-4.  It'll sucks if they didn't supply an extra set for a $900 headphones.  I just pulled the trigger on ordering an HE-560 today.  I still have the rma connectors that I modded to terminate to banana plugs.  I sold the HE-4.  I was using my 2 channel integrated amp to power the HE-4 directly from the speaker terminals.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back