= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #11,446 of 21,171
I think a tube hybrid like Lyr mellows the highs on the 560

I do use the lyr 2 with y he-560. dont have any problem w/ the treble. my personal experience. as always ymmv.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #11,447 of 21,171
HE-560+Lyr Amp?

I currently have an Emotiva a-100x, which I was usedto powered a pair of HE-4 (Great headphones, but time to upgrade).  I would like a little bit wider soundstage.  The HE-4 was great for music in some ways, but the smaller soundstage was lacking for PC gaming.

Just wondering if anybody can offer their opinion.  I do realize that one is tube and the other is solid state, but...I don't particulary like "harsh" highs.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #11,448 of 21,171
  HE-560+Lyr Amp?

I currently have an Emotiva a-100x, which I was usedto powered a pair of HE-4 (Great headphones, but time to upgrade).  I would like a little bit wider soundstage.  The HE-4 was great for music in some ways, but the smaller soundstage was lacking for PC gaming.

Just wondering if anybody can offer their opinion.  I do realize that one is tube and the other is solid state, but...I don't particulary like "harsh" highs.

You always have the option of using a parametric EQ to tame any frequency bloom that is bothering you. A parametric EQ allows you to narrowly focus on a frequency with less affect on adjacent frequencies. It is the impact of typical EQing on adjacent frequencies that makes many purist recoil at the thought of inadvertent adjusting of the sound.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #11,449 of 21,171
  HE-560+Lyr Amp?

A good trick to ever so slightly increase soundstage was to simply flip the L <-> R connectors and wear the headphone so the thicker part was facing the front. Provided more distance from the driver to your ear.  I tested using "Virtual Barber Shop" and it seemed to increase width by a few inches (4-5in)

Didnt seem to affect imaging too much if at all 

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #11,450 of 21,171

A good trick to ever so slightly increase soundstage was to simply flip the L <-> R connectors and wear the headphone so the thicker part was facing the front. Provided more distance from the driver to your ear.  I tested using "Virtual Barber Shop" and it seemed to increase width by a few inches (4-5in)

Didnt seem to affect imaging too much if at all 

It made the treble less harsh and distant, which meant I could put up the volume for smoother vocals and powerful bass.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #11,451 of 21,171
Well I just picked up my second pair and I'm having exactly the same problem. Vibration from the diaphragm. It's just as pronounced as the last pair.

Can someone with Tidal play Jonz In My Bonez by D'Angelo at a mid volume, I'm not listening to them particularly loudly, and tell me if you can hear the diaphragm flapping about? Surely I can't be that unlucky to get two defective pairs in a row?

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #11,452 of 21,171
  Well I just picked up my second pair and I'm having exactly the same problem. Vibration from the diaphragm. It's just as pronounced as the last pair.

Can someone with Tidal play Jonz In My Bonez by D'Angelo at a mid volume, I'm not listening to them particularly loudly, and tell me if you can hear the diaphragm flapping about? Surely I can't be that unlucky to get two defective pairs in a row?

Sorry mate, just tried that track and it sounds fine on my HE-560s.

Btw, I see you're based in Cambridge.  Check out my sig 
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #11,455 of 21,171
I e-mailed Hifiman about the current stock of Focus-A pads and when they would be available again, got this as a response.

Dear Customer,  
Yes, they are out of stock now, we are not sure when it will be available, because it is the end of year.

But we surely will have them in stock some time later.

Please pay attention to our listings.

Best regards,

Alvin

So just wait a while and hopefully they will be back in stock before the end of this month. (Chinese new year is february 19th)

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #11,456 of 21,171

Sorry mate, just tried that track and it sounds fine on my HE-560s.

Btw, I see you're based in Cambridge.  Check out my sig 
wink.gif

I just got back from my local dealer in Biggleswade; Highend Headphones and myself and the lovely lady there, Wendy, managed to hear distortion on my replacment HE-560's, their display HE-560's, a pair of HE-6's, Audez'e LCD-2's, HD 700's and some Sennheiser Momentum's. Using Tidal & Spotify and the Oppo HA-1 and McIntosh MHA100. It seems to be an issue with the recording.

Which is a relief, as I thought it was the headphones. I guess a decent set of headphones can't hide a bad recording, it's very strange, I've been listening to that same album on CD, MP3 & FLAC on various speakers and headphones for over a decade and never noticed the distortion before. 

Oh wow, good shout with the sig! Thanks. =)

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #11,457 of 21,171
  http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=203

I e-mailed Hifiman about the current stock of Focus-A pads and when they would be available again, got this as a response.

So just wait a while and hopefully they will be back in stock before the end of this month. (Chinese new year is february 19th)

Fair enough. I'll just be patient and wait... 

Thanks guys, 

--Jeff

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #11,459 of 21,171
Oh no! My HE560 enhancement mod v1.5 (write-up coming in a few days) is gonna require Focus A pads.

:frowning2:  

Great to hear, Jerg. Can't wait.
A couple of quick questions, if you don't mind:
On your v 1.5 mod, is the driver cover cloth on the inside of the Focus A pads cut out?
Are you using silicone glue instead of double-sided tape?
And finally,
I know this may have been covered before, but does the metal baffle rings make any sonic difference over the older plastic ones?
The ones I obtained have the plastic baffle ring.
Thanks Jerg.

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #11,460 of 21,171
  Oh no! My HE560 enhancement mod v1.5 (write-up coming in a few days) is gonna require Focus A pads.

frown.gif

hahah chinese new year is a big deal over here. expect a bit of delay for them to get the stock back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back