= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 29, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #10,501 of 21,176
Here recently I was asking about a case for the HE-560's that would allow you to keep the cables connected. After researching the entire know universe, I think I have found the best value and best protection case.

Amazon is offering the Geekria EJB-0035-02 case, regularly about $55, for about $32. I have one on order and will report back when it arrives.

Did u also find the alternative: the beyer dynamic bag? I use one for 8 years..just perfect....i got it when i bought my mmx300 8 years ago..but have been using him to transport my hifiman headphones with their thick cables:)

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #10,502 of 21,176
I did. I just wondered what ALL of my alternatives were. The Geekria seems to be a great value offering massive protection. Of everything I've seen, only stepping up to a Pelican case would protect better.

If it doesn't work out, I have a few SigSauers that will have a new, lightweight home!

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #10,503 of 21,176
I did. I just wondered what ALL of my alternatives were. The Geekria seems to be a great value offering massive protection. Of everything I've seen, only stepping up to a Pelican case would protect better.

If it doesn't work out, I have a few SigSauers that will have a new, lightweight home!

let us know how it works out with pixs! i am nterestd :)

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #10,504 of 21,176
I have the Cayin, but haven't used it for the560, usually at my computer and use Geek Out Special Edition. Also have used Ray Samuels HR-2 on occasion. Can compare those later when I finish work and ongoing Thanksgiving family stuff.
As for the grain/crispness, it is there, as I said, sometimes bothersome, sometimes don't notice it. I sometimes wonder if there is more unit to unit variability then we think there is...hey, mass produced things like cars can drive differently even though they are the same model and you'd expect them to be identical.

Thanks, doctorjazz. I look forward to your comments.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #10,505 of 21,176

The FocusPads have a perforated pleather interior ring, whereas the FocusPad-As do not.  Yes, the FocusPads are thicker (use a thicker piece of foam).  I was shipped a mismatched pair with my HE-560s, but I haven't heard about that happening with a separate order for just the pads.

There's a "proper" alignment that should keep them from rotating.  It might take a couple of tries before you get them locked correctly.

HTH.

1.  thanks all, got all 4 tabs of the Focus pads locked in properly now.  no pad turning happening now.

2. indeed, my 2 Focus-A pads don't have the perforated pleather inside ring, but don't seem very symmetric in width areas that differ around the circumference of the circle.
guess this is just the less stringent QA process on these... but I'll get to listening on them once past this OCD issue.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #10,506 of 21,176
Here recently I was asking about a case for the HE-560's that would allow you to keep the cables connected. After researching the entire know universe, I think I have found the best value and best protection case.

Amazon is offering the Geekria EJB-0035-02 case, regularly about $55, for about $32. I have one on order and will report back when it arrives.

Thanks for this! Ordered one as well!

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #10,507 of 21,176
I have the Cayin, but haven't used it for the560, usually at my computer and use Geek Out Special Edition. Also have used Ray Samuels HR-2 on occasion. Can compare those later when I finish work and ongoing Thanksgiving family stuff.
As for the grain/crispness, it is there, as I said, sometimes bothersome, sometimes don't notice it. I sometimes wonder if there is more unit to unit variability then we think there is...hey, mass produced things like cars can drive differently even though they are the same model and you'd expect them to be identical.

Thanks, doctorjazz. I look forward to your comments.

Well, just did a quick listen, try to do more when I have a bit of time to spare. Used my DX90, some hi rez flac, from The Band's Stage Fright and Grateful Dead's Americal Beauty (2 albums I know quite well), and, for fun, All Time Low's "Somewhere in Neverland". To cut to the chase, the Cayin is prefectly capable of driving the 560, lots of juice, bass has cojunas, good impact. It does tend to run a bit bright, though, so if you find the 560 already a bit bright, harsh in the highs as some say, you may find yourself not likeing it as a combination. My initial reaction hearing "The Shape I'm In" was, "too much sibilance, cymbals seem to smear". But, as I listened a while, likely "brain burn" set in, and I still heard it slightly, but less aggressive and offensive, and enjoyed listening through them. The Ray Samuels HR-2 is a much darker beast, gives more body, cymbals less present, but there. Both do good stage (have to listen more to quantify). I didn't listen head to head, but they both seem to power the 560 better then the Geek Out (I have both the 1K and Special Edition, which I thought would have adequate juice).
So there you are, definitely can manage with the Cayin, but if you are very sensitive to aggressive highs (which, as I said, did seem less noticeable to me over time), you may prefer other amplification.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #10,508 of 21,176
Hopefully you saw that better cases are out there, but the price ramps up sharply. I'm counting on this being a great value.

I only need enough protection in case I drop the case. Hopefully, I won't sit on it or something. Mine are supposed to be here Wednesday, so pics soon!

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #10,510 of 21,176
Well, just did a quick listen, try to do more when I have a bit of time to spare. Used my DX90, some hi rez flac, from The Band's Stage Fright and Grateful Dead's Americal Beauty (2 albums I know quite well), and, for fun, All Time Low's "Somewhere in Neverland". To cut to the chase, the Cayin is prefectly capable of driving the 560, lots of juice, bass has cojunas, good impact. It does tend to run a bit bright, though, so if you find the 560 already a bit bright, harsh in the highs as some say, you may find yourself not likeing it as a combination. My initial reaction hearing "The Shape I'm In" was, "too much sibilance, cymbals seem to smear". But, as I listened a while, likely "brain burn" set in, and I still heard it slightly, but less aggressive and offensive, and enjoyed listening through them. The Ray Samuels HR-2 is a much darker beast, gives more body, cymbals less present, but there. Both do good stage (have to listen more to quantify). I didn't listen head to head, but they both seem to power the 560 better then the Geek Out (I have both the 1K and Special Edition, which I thought would have adequate juice).
So there you are, definitely can manage with the Cayin, but if you are very sensitive to aggressive highs (which, as I said, did seem less noticeable to me over time), you may prefer other amplification.

How long have you burned in the C5?  Out of the box they are definitely bright and sibilant, but after a week the treble really smoothed out.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #10,511 of 21,176
Hi guys,

i don't know if i really don't have the luck with the folks at head-direct but my experiences with them with regards to hifiman products had been nothing short of nightmarish. 

About a year back i ordered a RE-600 earphone. It arrived on time but some problem caused the drivers inside to burn and almost caused a hearing problem. Fang contacted me and managed to get me a new pair,needless to say, i sold off that pair soon.

Then, a HM901....this gave me so much problems ..charging issues, battery issues...extreme slow downs in firmware...again it was exchanged but i hardly have time to use it these days..

The latest straw, i ordered the HE 560 just about 2 weeks back. I had alerted head-direct that i needed the headphone soon (by this sunday) as i was going to have it as a gift for someone. It arrived soon enough and all was fine until i opened up the box and found some problems....

1) No cables in the box. What is the point of shipping a set of headphones with no cables in the box?? Okay, but not a big issue, i would just email them to get them to ship me one right? We'll talk about that later...

2) The wooden box that was provided was chipped and cracked near the doors where it slid out. The metal portion of the box was facing inwards instead of upwards. The headphone itself wasn't taped or secured to the foam and there was some very minor dents at the base of the wooden portion of the headphone. It all reeks of a refurbished unit...how was i going to give out a seemingly refurbished unit as a gift for someone??? But i had no time and the unit still looked new enough (at least!)

I would proceed to email them (sunday in my country) and expected a prompt reply. I even told them that i expected the cables be shipped first thing on Monday. The reply i got was classic and that they would "email" their shipping manager to find out about the issue and get back to me. It is now Tuesday (over here) and nothing...no news at all. I really wonder who does all this QC and why don't they have all matters done in one country rather than in China and the states. Shouldn't they out of all courtesy be making phone calls instead of awaiting emails. Or could it be that international calls are too expensive for a blunder which might seem to be too minor in their opinion?

Which leads me to a question, do any of you experience such nonsense from them and what kind would you experience? I really like the sound and direction which Hifiman is heading but these lousy administration and lack of quality control is pissing me off.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #10,512 of 21,176

How long have you burned in the C5?  Out of the box they are definitely bright and sibilant, but after a week the treble really smoothed out.

I've used the C5 many hours after an official burn in. I agree with you, at first I called it "Cayin pepper", it did definitely smooth out with burn in, but I still hear a brightness to it. It doesn't bother me most of the time, even adds a measure of energy to things, but it's there. When combined with the560, which can also run bright, with some grain/roughness in the treble, this is exacerbated. Then play a poor recording, and it can be unbearableto me, natch). The HR-2 and the Geek Out Special Edition both are much better in this regard. I hadn't listened with the GO when I posted that quick impression, do think it's somewhat underpowered for 560, need to go close to max volume. But,boy, is it smoother, finer, more detail thanks the DX90/C5 combo. Treble is not rolled off, sharp, detailed, just no aggressiveness. None of this is a knock on the C5: the HR-2, which tends to be dark sounding, costs 2-3 times as much as the C5, and the Geek Out Special Edition was about6 times as expensive, and they do show it. But, most casual listening, generally when I go on Dogwalk, I use and enjoy the DX90/C5 combo.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #10,513 of 21,176
Hi guys,

i don't know if i really don't have the luck with the folks at head-direct but my experiences with them with regards to hifiman products had been nothing short of nightmarish. 

About a year back i ordered a RE-600 earphone. It arrived on time but some problem caused the drivers inside to burn and almost caused a hearing problem. Fang contacted me and managed to get me a new pair,needless to say, i sold off that pair soon.

Then, a HM901....this gave me so much problems ..charging issues, battery issues...extreme slow downs in firmware...again it was exchanged but i hardly have time to use it these days..

The latest straw, i ordered the HE 560 just about 2 weeks back. I had alerted head-direct that i needed the headphone soon (by this sunday) as i was going to have it as a gift for someone. It arrived soon enough and all was fine until i opened up the box and found some problems....

1) No cables in the box. What is the point of shipping a set of headphones with no cables in the box?? Okay, but not a big issue, i would just email them to get them to ship me one right? We'll talk about that later...

2) The wooden box that was provided was chipped and cracked near the doors where it slid out. The metal portion of the box was facing inwards instead of upwards. The headphone itself wasn't taped or secured to the foam and there was some very minor dents at the base of the wooden portion of the headphone. It all reeks of a refurbished unit...how was i going to give out a seemingly refurbished unit as a gift for someone??? But i had no time and the unit still looked new enough (at least!)

I would proceed to email them (sunday in my country) and expected a prompt reply. I even told them that i expected the cables be shipped first thing on Monday. The reply i got was classic and that they would "email" their shipping manager to find out about the issue and get back to me. It is now Tuesday (over here) and nothing...no news at all. I really wonder who does all this QC and why don't they have all matters done in one country rather than in China and the states. Shouldn't they out of all courtesy be making phone calls instead of awaiting emails. Or could it be that international calls are too expensive for a blunder which might seem to be too minor in their opinion?

Which leads me to a question, do any of you experience such nonsense from them and what kind would you experience? I really like the sound and direction which Hifiman is heading but these lousy administration and lack of quality control is pissing me off.

Hifiman CS is extremely slow at resolving problems but they usually will get u a satisfactory result. remember they are a chinese company. A lot of Chinese companies dont allow returns or even have a customer service department, so Hifiman actually has invested a lot into providing a good customer experience though they will not match the generous policies and amazing customer service that you may be used to from big brands.

Your specific issue sounds like it calls for a replacement. Unfortunately, it will take a while esp w. the time difference for email responses. You can try to just return and then order from another company (acgears is currently running a 20% off promo so the he560 is like $720 and razordogaudio always has fast shipping & great CS).

For QC & build quality, Hifiman is lagging behind their competitors. however, their products are generally less expensive... so really up2 you what your priorities are.

The Oppo PM1 looks extremely nice, has great QC & BQ, and has a easy to listen to sound. If gifting expensive headphones to normal people, that would be my recommendation. Very pleasing sound that is enjoyable regardless of sonic preferences, great build quality, easy to drive, and pretty looking. Just seems very luxious and high-end. Warmer sound than the he560.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #10,515 of 21,176
Am in europe, and i have to say the european dealer/ importer of hifiman does an excellent job...top service..fast responses in A language i understand, nice guys and fast delivery and good prices....even special deals sometimes....if it wasnt i would for sure go shop with other brands..my last phone is a custom..nothing to do with hifiman itself..but quality is top notch..my code-x looks and feels high class thanks to Luis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back