= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #10,486 of 21,179

I don't here sibilance with my HE-560, but I do hear a grainy/tizzy sound in the treble with a lot of vocals!  Is there a mod or something that will get rid of that?  I had the HE-560 several months ago when they were first out, and that was the reason I sold them.

Also, does anyone else have ear ringing after listening?

A good R2R DAC does alleviate that issue significantly.

Both my Sonic Frontiers DAC and Neko DAC are both much less grainy/tizzy/sibilant than my Gamma2, and yet the Gamma 2 is darker. The other 2 DACs have much bigger soundstaging, much smoother sound, with much more air, and the Sonic Frontiers has better extended bass, too.

I get severe ringing after listening to the Gamma2, very minimal ringing after the Neko, and absolutely no ringing after the Sonic Frontiers.

I was reading in the jPlay Forum just this morning about using jPlay Mini in Hibernate mode.  The poster stated that turning Hibernate mode on shuts down all non music services and you can do nothing on the computer until the selected songs end......and he also stated that listening this way makes computer audio sound like you have a $3000 DAC.  He's right, I've never heard my system scale like this without changing anything in my setup!  You will never hear better sound from your system, than jPLay Mini in HIbernate mode!

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #10,487 of 21,179

I was reading in the jPlay Forum just this morning about using jPlay Mini in Hibernate mode.  The poster stated that turning Hibernate mode on shuts down all non music services and you can do nothing on the computer until the selected songs end......and he also stated that listening this way makes computer audio sound like you have a $3000 DAC.  He's right, I've never heard my system scale like this without changing anything in my setup!  You will never hear better sound from your system, than jPLay Mini in HIbernate mode!

Mm, I'd say he's experiencing the effect of reduced jitter due to less timing error from the computer having to handle too many services. It's essentially what some USB transports do.

But still not quite at $3000 DAC level yet. You're still limited by your current DAC chip.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #10,488 of 21,179

Mm, I'd say he's experiencing the effect of reduced jitter due to less timing error from the computer having to handle too many services. It's essentially what some USB transports do.

But still not quite at $3000 DAC level yet. You're still limited by your current DAC chip.

I'm running iFi USB, and iFi ILink with Audioquest Diamond, pretty good USB transport right there, but jPlay Mini in Hibernate mode goes way beyond that, you are right, all jitter is reduced to nil.  You won't believe the diference til you actually hear it.  I certainly didn't expect the sound that this produced, for sure!

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #10,489 of 21,179
I'm running iFi USB, and iFi ILink with Audioquest Diamond, pretty good USB transport right there, but jPlay Mini in Hibernate mode goes way beyond that, you are right, all jitter is reduced to nil.  You won't believe the diference til you actually hear it.  I certainly didn't expect the sound that this produced, for sure!

what does jitter sound like?

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #10,491 of 21,179

Well, it's digital audio. Jitter in the digital domain may be interfering with the music and causing 0's to appear where 1's should be, and vice versa. Essentially altering the signal that the DAC receives.

Even the infamous author of the O2 couldn't refute jitter. It exists, and it is inherent within any audio system. Whether it is audible is an entirely different matter, but depending on its amplitude and where it is present, it can definitely alter the sound signal and cause extra noise to be added, or details to be lost. Even with the insane jitter reduction capabilities of the iLink (I hope that's true, but I haven't tried it yet), jitter or timing issues still seem to be relevant.

On the other end of the spectrum, though, I think the DAC chip will be more audible than jitter in terms of audible difference. Most transports today would be good enough with jitter that the difference.

And of course, I'm also thinking of a USB transport to replace my Gamma2 even though I'm very satisfied with either the Neko or Sonic Frontiers in my system. After long listen, I've determined that the Sonic Frontiers is more tonally dense and smooth, while being simultaneously more detailed than the Neko, whereas the Neko gives a lighter, more ethereal, more separated presentation that's smoother, more euphonic, and somewhat sharper, more incisive with regards to its decay characteristics.

The differences between the 2 are really audible, too, and not just 5% like many have stated.

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #10,492 of 21,179
The Sonic Frontiers is a bit older, which likely means it won't play Hi-Rez formats, correct?

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #10,493 of 21,179

Doesn't JPlay in hibernate mode play havoc with your computer and anti-virus software?

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #10,494 of 21,179
How many posts in a row can we have without a single HE-560 impression?
take the JPlay and jitter elsewhere.

In attempt to get back on topic:
1. In attempting to install my Focus A pads, one seems thicker than the other. Actually wondering if they shipped me a regular Focus?
The Focus-A are supposed to be thinner right?

2. Reattached Focus pads and now each one spins about 1 inch, but still line up properly with seams at bottom of ear cup.
Don't recall the spin of pads before, did I not reattach properly?

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #10,495 of 21,179

1. In attempting to install my Focus A pads, one seems thicker than the other. Actually wondering if they shipped me a regular Focus?

2. Reattached Focus pads and now each one spins about 1 inch, but still line up properly with seams at bottom of ear cup.

Not sure about number 1 - there're tell-tale signs to distinguish the two, check HiFiMAN/head-direct for pics of the two en compare, :} but number 2 is definitely an improper attachment. They rotate slightly to each side if one [or two] tabs are not lined up properly/not attached. When all 4 tabs are in place, the pads rotate no more 
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #10,496 of 21,179
The Sonic Frontiers is a bit older, which likely means it won't play Hi-Rez formats, correct?

Yep. But given its sound signature (smooth, slightly warm, full, and impactful), I wouldn't use it for highly technical music, so hi-res is a bit of waste. It's perfectly happy at 44.1 and 48.

I just think it's a very good value at the $200 I spent ($150 on DAC and $50 on replacement op amps). Much better than the Gamma2 for sure, and it does do wonders to fix the treble issue of the HE-560.

My Neko DAC still handily beats it at technicality (it makes my HE-560 sound Stax-like with its super fast decay), but this gap is not as pronounced as it looks, and the Sonic Frontiers still has qualities that I wish the Neko has, mainly the bass body, the soundstage width (depth and height are better with Neko, and so is center image), and the even more relaxed treble. But I am sure I would be happy with either as a main DAC.

Well, discussion of what gears pair well with the HE-560 would also be good IMO.

Anyway, yeah, it's normal for Focus-A pads to have varying thickness, in my opinions, because quality control is worse with them. In actual use, I don't think you'll notice any difference.

The pads spinning means you didn't get the mounts to lock. There are 4 indents on the mounting ring that's on the enclosure that match with the 4 clips on the mounting ring attached to the ear pads that you need to line up. Once you have that, the pads will stay put and won't move anymore.

As for HE-560 impression, I think I have kept mentioning this, but... the HE-560 is pretty much perfection once paired with the right amp and DAC, and the mods will just make it more Stax-like.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #10,497 of 21,179

I have both and the Focus Pads we thicker....

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #10,498 of 21,179

The FocusPads have a perforated pleather interior ring, whereas the FocusPad-As do not.  Yes, the FocusPads are thicker (use a thicker piece of foam).  I was shipped a mismatched pair with my HE-560s, but I haven't heard about that happening with a separate order for just the pads.

There's a "proper" alignment that should keep them from rotating.  It might take a couple of tries before you get them locked correctly.

HTH.

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #10,499 of 21,179
Here recently I was asking about a case for the HE-560's that would allow you to keep the cables connected. After researching the entire know universe, I think I have found the best value and best protection case.

Amazon is offering the Geekria EJB-0035-02 case, regularly about $55, for about $32. I have one on order and will report back when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back