= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 16, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #10,186 of 21,171
My impressions are up for a full Jerg mod on the HE-560 >here<

TLDR version: I agree with TMRaven. Pretty much improved everything, nice decay, although there is also a slightly noticeable loss of lower midrange warmth. But there is a fix for that.

I think... the HE-560 is just perfectly where and how I want it to be now. It's like I'm peeling layers off of my music collection.

The effect is audible even with heavily compressed music on Youtube, too, so it's not subtle at all.

The faster decay gives much better layering of music, too.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #10,187 of 21,171
I am happy with just the grill mod and I won't push my luck further 
biggrin.gif

I'd like to keep things easily reversible.
Anyway, maybe HiFiMAN will take notes or maybe their next headphone won't even need it 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the rest, good job with the mods guys 
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #10,188 of 21,171
I pop in and out of this thread, recently got the 560's, wondering if after market cables were discussed (I'm sure they were, but, man, this thread has gotten to 680 pages...). If someone has quick recommendations/links I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #10,190 of 21,171
Yup, couldn't pass up getting them for so cheap. I guess I'll find out for myself how they sound compared to my current rig.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #10,193 of 21,171
Get Vanquish cable from Norne audio

This response was actually for Doctorjazz sorry olegausany.

I am about to get a Norne cable for my 560, but I am doing so for any possible sound quality improvement, I simply need a custom cable for a speaker tap. I can't make a cable like this myself, not to mention I wouldn't want to, takes way too long. I would ask why you are looking at an aftermarket cable, is it because you believe it will make a significant sound quality improvement? The jury is out on that one, I will be able to do some testing as the cable I am having made will allow me to switch back to the stock 560 cable and compare both cables on my A18 amplifier. I am going to see if I can set up a blind listening test as I can assure you, the cable isn't cheap (what I need anyway) and it is so nice looking that I will have an expectation bias for sure.

I am on the fence in the cable debate and I am keeping an open mind here. I hope there is a difference that in blind listening tests I can hear. If not, doesn't matter to me as I needed the custom cable anyway so no matter what, I will still gain something I value. What is the rest of your audio chain? I can't help wondering if there are other areas that might be more impactful for you to upgrade before considering a cable. Even among cable enthusiast I have noticed they often take the position that cables are the last part of the chain to address, but I'm sure for some the cable is consider as important as the amp or DAC.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #10,194 of 21,171
Get Vanquish cable from Norne audio

This response was actually for Doctorjazz sorry olegausany.

I am about to get a Norne cable for my 560, but I am doing so for any possible sound quality improvement, I simply need a custom cable for a speaker tap. I can't make a cable like this myself, not to mention I wouldn't want to, takes way too long. I would ask why you are looking at an aftermarket cable, is it because you believe it will make a significant sound quality improvement? The jury is out on that one, I will be able to do some testing as the cable I am having made will allow me to switch back to the stock 560 cable and compare both cables on my A18 amplifier. I am going to see if I can set up a blind listening test as I can assure you, the cable isn't cheap (what I need anyway) and it is so nice looking that I will have an expectation bias for sure.

I am on the fence in the cable debate and I am keeping an open mind here. I hope there is a difference that in blind listening tests I can hear. If not, doesn't matter to me as I needed the custom cable anyway so no matter what, I will still gain something I value. What is the rest of your audio chain? I can't help wondering if there are other areas that might be more impactful for you to upgrade before considering a cable. Even among cable enthusiast I have noticed they often take the position that cables are the last part of the chain to address, but I'm sure for some the cable is consider as important as the amp or DAC.

Of course you get your dac and amp first and only then cable but to find the right cable is important cause I prefer Draug 2 for HD800 but Vanquish for HE-560, i also like Vanquish with Alpha Prime

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #10,195 of 21,171
I pop in and out of this thread, recently got the 560's, wondering if after market cables were discussed (I'm sure they were, but, man, this thread has gotten to 680 pages...). If someone has quick recommendations/links I'd appreciate it, thanks.

I too am looking for a decent cable to use with the HE adapter  box and down the road our of the XLR out on a Pulse X, I am not concerned about how a cable sounds, just sturdy construction and lowest possible price. Anyone have some ideas on this?

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #10,196 of 21,171
I too am looking for a decent cable to use with the HE adapter  box and down the road our of the XLT out on a Pulse X, I am not concerned about how a cable sounds, just sturdy construction and lowest possible price. Anyone have some ideas on this?

Check the thread of toxic cables..and their profile here on headfi..they can make u everything u need and quality is topnotch..and price is right....
Ps..their site is not updated..for info check their profile page here on headfi.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #10,197 of 21,171

I too am looking for a decent cable to use with the HE adapter  box and down the road our of the XLR out on a Pulse X, I am not concerned about how a cable sounds, just sturdy construction and lowest possible price. Anyone have some ideas on this?

You gents may want to consider BTG cable:
http://btg-audio.com/

The asking price is more than fair in my opinions. I like the sheathing a lot... because it's soft, light, and very well-done.

Compared to the stock cable, this one... doesn't sound very different. There is just a slight hint of reduction of upper midrange congestion, but it could just be my imagination. I could somewhat detect a 0.5dB rise at 8-9KHz, but I honestly can't tell much of a difference between this one and the stock cable. But the construction and comfort is a lot better compared to stock. Stock cable is too hard, too stiff, and too short.

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #10,198 of 21,171

You gents may want to consider BTG cable:
http://btg-audio.com/

The asking price is more than fair in my opinions. I like the sheathing a lot... because it's soft, light, and very well-done.

Compared to the stock cable, this one... doesn't sound very different. There is just a slight hint of reduction of upper midrange congestion, but it could just be my imagination. I could somewhat detect a 0.5dB rise at 8-9KHz, but I honestly can't tell much of a difference between this one and the stock cable. But the construction and comfort is a lot better compared to stock. Stock cable is too hard, too stiff, and too short.

I bought an interconnect cable form BTG. I just checked his page, but did not see what I am looking for. I can write him and ask ...as I did Frank at Toxic.
Only problem I am having with BTG is the lead time. He claims three weeks. It has been close to 5 weeks and my order still says "new".

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #10,199 of 21,171
Here's one I've got in progress; just waiting on the SMCs I got off eBay.  The colors match the HE-560 veneers pretty well.  I had just enough Litz wire left, so I figured WTH.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #10,200 of 21,171
So my replacement HE-560 has the same rattle in it. When I open Sinegen at 50Hz and below with high gain on the Objective 2 it starts rattling on both sides. It's less obvious on low gain but still there. Not a amp problem since my reciever does the same. Is this a feature or a fault? Can anyone please confirm, please run a 30Hz sine wave at high volume and listen for a rattle. This sucks so much, I hope I won't have to send it back to the states and wait for a replacement.

Removing the grill and pressing slightly on the driver helps a little bit, shaking my head/headphone does also help while I'm doing it bu that makes listening a bit uncomfortable. I'm really starting to doubt the QC of HifiMAN because this one came from the latest batch in the factory and they said that this batch has solved the rattle issue. They said "The replacement you have should be the latest version and have fixed the distortion issue."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back