= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 22, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #8,326 of 21,175
With my HE-560 curious about Lyr 2 with Telef E88CC, can someone tell me how these Telef tubes affect bass and soundstage?
Thanks.

The Telefunken E88CC tubes , in my lyr 2, really added texture and depth to the bass on the HE-400i's. Furthermore these tubes opened up the soundstage on the HE-400i, the holographic imagery and the level of detail shocked me. With those tubes, in my lyr2, I really wanted to keep my HE-400I'S,, so those tubes should make your HE-560'S sing like a Greek muse of old. I would type some more but my hands hurt too much to type anymore. Fair theme well, May the music always make yea smile.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #8,327 of 21,175
Well said sir. I agree the lyr2 is a great amp, that allows one to change the flavour of the sound by tube rolling. I do need to try the voskkhod tubes sometime.

Reddog, thanks, just don't follow my lead of chronically misspelling, Voskhod, they are fantastic tubes. Enjoy the Tele's!!!

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #8,328 of 21,175
OK, reading back, I believe we both read a bit more into his post than he probably intended. Plus, my response too him, through a response to your post, was really garbled. My apologies, you are correct, he should avoid Audiophilia Nervosa if possible. Though not in defense, our disease is indefensible, my little system, IMOO, is equal to the HD800/ HE-6 rigs I have heard, at significantly lower price. Though that is only too me. Your questioning on the "most off" comment though was a bit of a red herring.

I always love reading opinions & impressions from people extremely passionate about their gear here. It is pretty exciting and I feel like I'm living vicariously hearing about these xyz audio upgrades for xyz sonic differences.

However, it is true that a lot of recommendations made around here are simply unreasonable for me (and I imagine most normal people) to pursue. A $900 pair of headphones is already extremely excessive spending. An additional $400+ amp is another very significant investment... I can't even begin to imagine having to go buy a pair of tubes that are $100-$200+ each or cables that are $250+ a pop, let alone experimenting with multiple tubes. 

If recommendations are being made on non-stock gear, I think it would be extremely helpful for the poster to state that very clearly. It is unfair to endorse a product that has been modded or upgraded without saying that as people will get the wrong ideas/expectations & end up disappointed/frustrated. If X headphones actually does not match well with the Lyr stock, but the lyr is still being recommended, then I think it would be helpful to also state that the impressions/recommendations are being made with the additional investment of $X for X tubes or whatever else.

Just my 2 cents :)

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #8,329 of 21,175
I always love reading opinions & impressions from people extremely passionate about their gear here. It is pretty exciting and I feel like I'm living vicariously hearing about these xyz audio upgrades for xyz sonic differences.

However, it is true that a lot of recommendations made around here are simply unreasonable for me (and I imagine most normal people) to pursue. A $900 pair of headphones is already extremely excessive spending. An additional $400+ amp is another very significant investment... I can't even begin to imagine having to go buy a pair of tubes that are $100-$200+ each or cables that are $250+ a pop, let alone experimenting with multiple tubes. 

If recommendations are being made on non-stock gear, I think it would be extremely helpful for the poster to state that very clearly. It is unfair to endorse a product that has been modded or upgraded without saying that as people will get the wrong ideas/expectations & end up disappointed/frustrated. If X headphones actually does not match well with the Lyr stock, but the lyr is still being recommended, then I think it would be helpful to also state that the impressions/recommendations are being made with the additional investment of $X for X tubes or whatever else.

Your are right. I try to remember to add "modded", state the mods and brands of anything that isn't stock. Though, I debate doing this at times because I don't have anything close to the knowledge/experience of the Jerg's, TMRavens, etc. of this site.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #8,331 of 21,175
If you expecting that you can spend $900 on headphones then spend just $200 on dac/amp to get the sound you will enjoy and be happy with it will not happen .

Considering that different amps/dacs makes minimal sonic difference compared to different headphones.  It's far more cost effective to spend most of your money on headphones instead of investing more evenly in your rig.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #8,332 of 21,175
  Considering that different amps/dacs makes minimal sonic difference compared to different headphones.  It's far more cost effective to spend most of your money on headphones instead of investing more evenly in your rig.

Agree assuming that the AMP is providing enough power for the headphone.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #8,333 of 21,175
It's not just money gear costs it's the senergy is what most important. For example I heard HD650 with many amps most costing more than headphones and just two of them were great pairing while with the others HD650 were lacking bass

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #8,334 of 21,175

When I researched getting the lyr2, it was stated, it would sound better with better tubes. That fact was never hidden. I agree tubes rolling can be costly, but I found gold lion tubes can sound just as good as the more expensive nos tubes. However if you do not like the cost of tube rolling then get yourself a solid state amp. Furthermore the cost of creating a good headphone system is far cheaper than getting a good home theatre system. I have had friends spend thousands of dollars on modifying there car or thousands going. on vacation, to the land of the mouse / Disneyworld. It's all relative, people dance to there own drummer and that is fair. What is not fair is harping on people for spending money on gear that makes them happy. Six months ago I would have never thought I would spend so much money on a headphone system, But to me the proof is in the pudding, my blood pressure was dangerously high, even after losing 100 pounds, and now it's so low, I know longer take medication. I feel listening to the music has helped reduce my blood pressure and helps me cope with the pain I am in. I agree a lot of audio gear is way to expensive for my meager budget, and people have this irrational fetish, that the more expensive a item is the better it is and that is not always the case..

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #8,335 of 21,175
My Asgard 2 just arrived. Compared to the Pico DAC/amp, it sounds a little colder, but also more laid back. Highs aren't harsh, details still very audible. Soundstage is wider (I guess this is why it sounds more laid back?) and instrument placement and separation is better! 
From memory (I've sold the Vali), Asgard 2 sounds better in all the aforementioned areas.
So, just as a rudimentary ranking: A2 > Pico > Vali

Curiously, the Asgard 2 ins't that much louder than the Pico--I've got it on 11 o'clock @ high gain, and the Pico was at 12-1 o'clock.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #8,336 of 21,175
If you expecting that you can spend $900 on headphones then spend just $200 on dac/amp to get the sound you will enjoy and be happy with it will not happen .

+1 i totally agree..NO 200 usd worth of amp will make the he560 sound good..if u believe that then its best to get a lower end headphone as for sure the he560 wont get the quality signal it needs to sound as it should..

well..any higher end phone needs that.....no 100-200usd amp will do any higher end headphone justice...yeah they will maybe drive it..maybe...and make it hearable...

As far i know of and in my experience..only the 337/339 and the lyr (the original) can drive a he500/he560 good enough soundwise...Stil not perfect..but for the money they perform admirably good! But yeah..u have to invest in good tubes (especially the 337/339 are very sensitive to the right tubes when used with planars)...but thats life... In life u never get things for free..if u want to have good sound u have to invest...how much is up to u how good u want ur headphone to sound..if u only have a budget of around 100 then its not smart to buy a 900usd worth of he560.. Better get a second hand (extremely good!!!) he500 for around 400usd...and use the rest on a decent amp...if u have a decent dac also already....otherwise u have to use that 600usd for both...in my opinion 300 each for a dac or an amp is still on the low side to give any higher end phone (yes also the wonderful he500) the right quality in signal and quality power ....
my 123 Ofcourse. :wink:

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8,337 of 21,175
+1 i totally agree..NO 200 usd worth of amp will make the he560 sound good..if u believe that then its best to get a lower end headphone as for sure the he560 wont get the quality signal it needs to sound as it should..

well..any higher end phone needs that.....no 100-200usd amp will do any higher end headphone justice...yeah they will maybe drive it..maybe...and make it hearable...

As far i know of and in my experience..only the 337/339 and the lyr (the original) can drive a he500/he560 good enough soundwise...Stil not perfect..but for the money they perform admirably good! But yeah..u have to invest in good tubes (especially the 337/339 are very sensitive to the right tubes when used with planars)...but thats life... In life u never get things for free..if u want to have good sound u have to invest...how much is up to u how good u want ur headphone to sound..if u only have a budget of around 100 then its not smart to buy a 900usd worth of he560.. Better get a second hand (extremely good!!!) he500 for around 400usd...and use the rest on a decent amp...if u have a decent dac also already....otherwise u have to use that 600usd for both...in my opinion 300 each for a dac or an amp is still on the low side to give any higher end phone (yes also the wonderful he500) the right quality in signal and quality power ....
my 123 Ofcourse.
wink.gif

First of all, have you heard the HE-560, especially on a $200 amp?  I have, and just for comparison, my HE-560 is driven quite well by my Yulong D100 which can be found used for $200-$250.  (It even performs admirably with my X3 and Stepdance)  I would take this setup anyday over a HD650 paired with my Yulong A18 (about $550-600 used).  In reality all the stuff said about how much power the HE560 needs to perform competently is grossly exaggerated.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #8,338 of 21,175

my 123 Ofcourse. :wink:

I think 500 is more reasonable... A 500 Compass2 was very good with the 560. A 500 amp and 500 DAC is slightly better... 1000 and 1000 is again slightly better, etc...
But the 500$ Compass2 already allowed the 560 to perform at around 85+% IMO...

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #8,339 of 21,175
First of all, have you heard the HE-560, especially on a $200 amp?  I have, and just for comparison, my HE-560 is driven quite well by my Yulong D100 which can be found used for $200-$250.  (It even performs admirably with my X3 and Stepdance)  I would take this setup anyday over a HD650 paired with my Yulong A18 (about $550-600 used).  In reality all the stuff said about how much power the HE560 needs to perform competently is grossly exaggerated.

For ur info.
I owned almost all he phones of hifiman except the he4 and he6 (but listened many hours to a he6) and owned a modded he500 for more then 2years before i replaced it with the headphone i have now...and i tried many many many amps..and owned amps from low end affordable but still good for the money: matrix mstage, mid tier: the 337.. to high end: PaG

And i found out with the he500 that the better the components around it the better it sounds... the mstage drove the he500 well..but only when i heared a (modded) 337 i knew it actually didnt do the he500 justice...and the 337 drove it almost perfectly..up until i heard a bc speaker amp and read they made custom headphone amps..so i let them make me one...and yep..MUCH MUCH better then the already good 337

..my point...if u take the change and can afford it...and wanna spend..try a better quality amp on ur he500/he560...

But if u think a 200usd amp drives ur headphone to the max already..stick to it then....i found out..the better the amp fits with the phones..the better the soundexperience...but am sure there are better amps out there tben my PaG for a planar.

This sounds like a discussion i once had with a o2 owner...he reacted same way as u...he said it drove the he500 perfectly...and i said same thing..if u believe that..stick with it..and i respect that ofcourse.

Ps..u say it urself..u bought ur yulong second hand...so its more expensive new...but ur right..sometimes u can buy good stuff for cheap...like lyr and ur yulong...

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #8,340 of 21,175
The elitist attitudes here, lol at least we know marketing works.  Check out the speaker amp threads for planars.  There are cost effective ways to power these headphones to their full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back