= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #7,741 of 21,171
I may have missed something in the last couple pages, but the crack is NOT a good amp for the 560. Complete impedance mismatch. Yes I've tried it, and it was terrible as expected.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #7,742 of 21,171

However, even with Focus Pads A, there are still times when the 560 gets close to being sibilant to me. Perhaps having an amp or DAC that can smooth out the treble region by rolling things off by a very tiny amount (like 1.0dB) would fix that.

Just try equing down around 9khz by 1-2dB, it did for me. That's also one of the things that removing grills does according to my measies and I can hear it.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #7,743 of 21,171
Well, I'll be getting a HE-560 too it seems. Got to listen to it finally, and boy the comfort is something else compared to the earlier HiFimen. I couldn't compare them to the HD800 without a longish pause from traveling, but it was a close call between the two. The Sennheisers definitely win in the pseudo-spatial instrument separation area, but I have a bunch of bright-sounding headphones already so...

I think the way the planars seemed to handle the lower frequencies is what ultimately pushed me to the decision.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #7,745 of 21,171
confused_face_2.gif
 ​I just visit Head-Direct and notice that the HE-400i's page looks more professional than its big brother 560. And look at that packaging box, it's much better than the wooden 560 one IMHO

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #7,746 of 21,171
:confused_face_2:  ​I just visit Head-Direct and notice that the HE-400i's page looks more professional than its big brother 560. And look at that packaging box, it's much better than the wooden 560 one IMHO

+ 1. Besides they changed 560 's impedance under specefications. It used to be at 35 , now it is at 50 +/- 8 Ohms Also added a new review http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/hifiman-560-review-new-benchmark/

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #7,747 of 21,171
Ok, the controlled listening for the grill on/off/switch for the 560 was a very mixed result.

I was consistently able to tell when the grills were on and off, without much problems - about 90% - so theoretical difference is there, indeed!
In practice, however, the difference is smaller. I listened to 8 instrumental and one vocal track.
In 6/8, I was mostly guessing and the correct/wrong ratio never really went over 50%, so in these songs, the difference was either too small or it did not affect it to a desirable margin.
In the other two instrumentals, I fared a bit better - somewhere around 70% of success so there seemed to be a distinguishable difference, but I really had to strain my ears hard to hear it. A bit more air to it slightly better imaging, though the stage did not seem much wider... about 5%, probably.
With the vocals, the 8 - 9khz dropped seems to help by reducing slight sibilance from very little to less than very little... and the vocals did sound a bit more open... and with more instruments, they seemed to image a bit better and stretch a bit wider... The consistency was around 80% and the difference might have been a bit more obvious, say 10% with vocals and somewhere north of 5% with instruments.
It's worth mentioning that I chose 30 second segments of each track, which I thought would be desirable for this particular task.

I'll probably modify it next time to longer, like 60 seconds, segments and either with, without or half with/without to give a more reasonable chance to my ears to pick the differences. I'll do more controlled tests this week.

I'll be also doing the grill mod on the 560 and 400i tomorrow [mostly because it is a possibility] and compare it to without the grills and with the modded grills against the stock grills  on the pink-noise track, where the difference is biggest now... Then I'll be using both headphones with modded grills for a week and then switch back to stock.

So far the difference really is very small though and it is easily the least effective modification I've done so far.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #7,748 of 21,171
I don't have any $500 amps to compare to sorry

No problem, that's fine. 

As long as the Creck+SB doesn't have major issues like the Lyr 2 reported by Bill-P, I'll be OK with that 
biggrin.gif

I may have missed something in the last couple pages, but the crack is NOT a good amp for the 560. Complete impedance mismatch. Yes I've tried it, and it was terrible as expected.

Damn, OOPS 
frown.gif

Just as a reference in case I'd want to try something else, any suggestions for a 400 $ amp with the HE-560? (used prices included)

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #7,749 of 21,171
No problem, that's fine. 

As long as the Creck+SB doesn't have major issues like the Lyr 2 reported by Bill-P, I'll be OK with that :D  

Just as a reference in case I'd want to try something else, any suggestions for a 400 $ amp with the HE-560? (used prices included)

I am sorry, one persons report of an unconfirmed problem is a major issue, talk about hyperbole! There are numerous reports of the Lyr 2 being an excellent match for the 560. Please do your research before making claims so far reaching.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #7,750 of 21,171
I am sorry, one persons report of an unconfirmed problem is a major issue, talk about hyperbole! There are numerous reports of the Lyr 2 being an excellent match for the 560. Please do your research before making claims so far reaching.

That's why I quoted the name, haven't had any coffee the morning? No need to be so aggressive. It was clear I had not heard it myself, hardly a huge claim from myself, relax.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #7,751 of 21,171

+1

Just received the Lyr 2 and with only 12 hours on the stock tubes it is a substantial upgrade over me EF-5. Will be keeping it. Using with bifrost uber usb2 and wyrd. Loving the 560s with this combo. Would not at all call this a bright setup. Bass is very much present. An accurate signature if anything.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #7,752 of 21,171
That's why I quoted the name, haven't had any coffee the morning? No need to be so aggressive. It was clear I had not heard it myself, hardly a huge claim from myself, relax.

I seriously doubt he was being aggressive. No hostility was meant I'm sure. Its just frustrating when one claim that few agree with out of many positives completely turn a product off for someone when they have never heard it. Hearing for yourself is the only thing I would trust. Enjoy your morning, I know I can't wait to grab a cup of coffee and fire up the headphones.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #7,753 of 21,171
I seriously doubt he was being aggressive. No hostility was meant I'm sure. Its just frustrating when one claim that few agree with out of many positives completely turn a product off for someone when they have never heard it. Hearing for yourself is the only thing I would trust. Enjoy your morning, I know I can't wait to grab a cup of coffee and fire up the headphones.

Or worse yet, they recall the entire product line, delay for a few more weeks, and redesign it.  Only to have a lack of consensus when the new version appears.

BTW- this is not a stab at anyone.  But it still happens.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #7,754 of 21,171

confused_face_2.gif
 ​I just visit Head-Direct and notice that the HE-400i's page looks more professional than its big brother 560. And look at that packaging box, it's much better than the wooden 560 one IMHO

Maybe they were just in the process of updating the HE-560 page, but had yet to post it.  They look pretty similar to me now....

HE-400i
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=208

HE-560
http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=197

re: the box, different strokes for different folks, I guess, as I like the HE-560's box.

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #7,755 of 21,171

No Kyno, I was not being aggressive, I just know that a few careless words can have a damaging effect on the reputation of people, products and companies. I have had my coffee now, and apologize if my post appeared to aggressive. I am guilty of hyperbole as well, this is a passionate hobby, and I tend to be a passionate person when it comes to my Friends.

So cheers, happy listening :beers::wine_glass:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back