= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #6,781 of 21,171
That is indeed a bad ass looking re-grill, very nicely done. So did you find a difference in sound after the mod? I have read posts where some feel the change is very slight to un-noticeable while others find it very noticeable.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Compared to the stock grills, I definitely hear a difference.  I kinda figured I would, since I used the same on my HE-500s, where they also make a difference.  For me, the difference between these new grills with and without dust shields is more subtle, but ultimately I prefer them with.  Soundstage is still plenty big for me, and imaging seems a little better.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #6,782 of 21,171
I've got a bit of an odd setup right now with my HiFiMan HE-560, something that I didn't originally think would make a good combo, but it works very well...  

Macbook Pro -> V-Moda Vamp Verza -> SilverStone Ensemble EB-03 Amplifier -> HiFiMan HE-560

For some reason, the Vamp Verza flattens out the EB-03, turning it from a bassy, v-shaped amp to something that's more linear.  Which took me by shock as the Vamp Verza has a slight bass bias to it :p  These two seem to mix very well and create a very smooth sounding 560 that sounds opened up a bit with a little more midrange bite to it.  Absolutely enjoying this setup :D  

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #6,783 of 21,171
  20 hours burn in he560 update

I think my mind has been burned in moreso than the headphones themselves. I also turned both my he560 and lcd-2 on loud and listened to their predominant resonance side by side without actually putting them on - this isn't an indicator of how they should sound when worn properly, but I was just curious. On the outside, it sounds like lcd-2 is actually more airy and open than the he560. 

onto listening:

The treble is still very much defined in the he560, and is probably the most pervasive feature I can note. This means electronic music like skrillex - bangarang really stands out. Also, fast paced music is mostly done well with these. It has been well established that the mids of both he500/560 are very pronounced, and I would agree. As long as the track has vocals, they will make themselves known, despite at times sounding forced and somewhat colored by treble.

Same thing goes for the bass. I now understand why there are many people who appreciate the bass response, as it is clean, and kicks in on music with rhythmic beats.

If I were to personify the bass response in the he560/LCD-2, a conversation with them would go something like this:

Me: Drop the bass!!!
He560: No worries, I got you son. Going to drop it right here yo
LCD-2: Been doing it since before you were born, boirefish.

Overall with the he560, the bass, mids and treble all have a way of distinguishing themselves, but together they sound a little try-hard, like three teenagers in a small room trying to one up each other, with each subsequent story told being more grandiose than the previous, so someone splits them up into different rooms.

The LCD-2 is them 40 years down the track - an engineer who married a 10/10 and has the perfect family, a CEO who could have retired 20 years ago but enjoys his lifework and lives frugally, and the warmest gastroenterologist you'd ever meet, always with a story to tell. Now these three are just reminiscing together, the room is overflowing with modesty, and it just feels like they haven't had a good drink together for too long. 

It's been a month since the He-560 has arrived. They have definitely grown on me. I am by no means trying to advocate these headphones to justify the purchase, as I had a friend who would happily pay what I did for them if I did not want to keep them. 

The bottom line is these he560's are just so clear. At first, I felt like it was not providing as much oomph as my lcd-2's, but the more time I spend with them, the more messy and unclear my lcd-2's sound. This is a big call for me, considering the lcd-2 is by no means unclear compared to same tier headphones.

For music, the he560 is now my go-to for all vocals, whilst for movies where the audio recording isn't flac, I prefer using my LCD-2's, as they do still provide a greater soundstage and bass. Basshunter is also still a favorite with the lcd's.

All in all, the he-560 is definitely staying, and as much as I did not want to admit, head-fi was exactly right - these headphones have grown on me hard.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #6,784 of 21,171
Glad to hear you are starting to really hear them. Great sound signature and lucky for you that you have a second great headphone in your LCD 2.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #6,786 of 21,171
To anyone interested in the 560 travel case, they are now shipping again. I just received my tracking info and will write a review of the case when it arrives in a few days.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,787 of 21,171
  To anyone interested in the 560 travel case, they are now shipping again. I just received my tracking info and will write a review of the case when it arrives in a few days.

I have a vague excuse to buy one, so I'm interested in your review.

Anyone wonder about the logo orientation?

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #6,788 of 21,171
I'm trying to pick an amp to pair with the HE-560, so far I've narrowed it down to the Yulong A18 and A28. The A18 is a warm sounding amp with both SE and balanced outputs while the A28 is a neutral balanced amp. Would the HE-560 use some more warmth? I only have the neutral D100 so there's nothing I could compare it with.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6,789 of 21,171
Great things! The D100 after A/B with amps really is short changing the 560.

It's a matter of taste, both will be have its strengths with the 560. I say play into the 560s great ability to be transparent and go with neutrality but that's my current FOT. Warmth will be good as well, as long as it keeps its transparency.

I'm trying to pick an amp to pair with the HE-560, so far I've narrowed it down to the Yulong A18 and A28. The A18 is a warm sounding amp with both SE and balanced outputs while the A28 is a neutral balanced amp. Would the HE-560 use some more warmth? I only have the neutral D100 so there's nothing I could compare it with.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #6,790 of 21,171

It depends on your listening preferences. The A18 is not a very warm amp at all. It is slightly warm with a very detailed sound and black background. The HE-560 is pretty transparent, and so will have great bass, large soundstage, excellent imaging, smooth treble and a detailed sound without sounding harsh when paired with the A18. It should sound harsh/bright with the D100, based on my recollection of the D100's lean and bright sound (i had demoed the D100 a long time back and hadn't liked it's voicing at all. It needs to be paired with a warm pair of headphones to shine).

I think the A18 would be a better match with the HE-560 than the A28, as the A18 will complement it's voicing better. The A28 is said to have a slight mid-range emphasis, which would probably make the mid-range of the HE-560 too prominent IMHO. The HE-560 has a perfectly balanced sound, and would need an amp to complement it strengths and not make an aspect of it's sound to overshadow everything else.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #6,791 of 21,171

The A18 isn't actually balanced, it just has a convenience connector so you won't get a balanced signal. I love the A18 myself, balanced feature missing or not.  

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #6,794 of 21,171
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes I know the A18 is not a balance amp, but I've heard that the balanced output+XLR connection to dac sounds different from SE+RCA connection.

You must have red the great review from project86 (as I did before deciding to buy the A18). I have only used the SE+RCA as the balanced out from my DAC goes to my integrated amp which  typically use the most.Anyway, the SE/RCA sound fantastic. I might test the other  option, but I would be surprised if the sound is that different, but who knows?

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,795 of 21,171
  It's been a month since the He-560 has arrived. They have definitely grown on me. I am by no means trying to advocate these headphones to justify the purchase, as I had a friend who would happily pay what I did for them if I did not want to keep them. 

The bottom line is these he560's are just so clear. At first, I felt like it was not providing as much oomph as my lcd-2's, but the more time I spend with them, the more messy and unclear my lcd-2's sound. This is a big call for me, considering the lcd-2 is by no means unclear compared to same tier headphones.

For music, the he560 is now my go-to for all vocals, whilst for movies where the audio recording isn't flac, I prefer using my LCD-2's, as they do still provide a greater soundstage and bass. Basshunter is also still a favorite with the lcd's.

All in all, the he-560 is definitely staying, and as much as I did not want to admit, head-fi was exactly right - these headphones have grown on me hard.

I don't think, for me, there is much comparison. The 560's are not just somewhat better, they are different and portray the music so much cleaner, dimensional and the 560's are faster with a cleaner decay and more transparency. The 560 even bring some of my flat sounding older recordings to life and that makes them much more enjoyable to listen to, which is what this is all about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back