= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #6,721 of 21,175
Measured the resistance of my HE-560s this morning.  49.8 and 50.1.

Now that I've created the perfect pads, I really don't want to take these off my head.  And they're less ugly.  Actually, they look pretty good.  Companies should seriously look into using microsuede.  Makes velour feel like sandpaper.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6,723 of 21,175
  They should also look into using grills that don't hinder SQ...

Indeed.  Fortunately, making new grills is child's play compared to making pads.  It's good that most people are happy with one of the two production pads.  Sadly, my big ears and crazy brain crave more space inside.  It's good to be a Lab rat 
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6,725 of 21,175
I found no hardness or harshness, nor sibilance. Just a slight tizz/shimmer. And I am convinced it is a trait of the headphone. Seen in measurements too and reported by others, even a long time ago with the pre-prods.
Edit: with production pads

I heard this characteristic at times, but most certainly only brought out by the recording/mastering of the source material. I have wonderful full recordings with plenty of cymbal work that are just dead on live and natural sounding (I am a drummer so quite familiar with cymbals). However, there were a few instances where some material would exhibit this shimmer around cymbals (most noticeable with cymbal work of course). Again, that is as we know the risk and reward of revealing/detailed headphones; on occasion you aren't going to like everything you hear. Fortunately this is not a common occurrence at all, and frankly rather predictable for me - I know what material I have that is hot mastered or poor in general so if I elect to listen to it, I know what I may get and typically I turn the volume down. So yes, I would also agree there can be the "shimmer" or extra energy around the edges of the treble at times. Still, I wouldn't give up the glorious capability of the 560 to be shielded from some poor recordings, those recording are poor whatever you play them through. If I opt for a headphone that smooth's some of those edges away, it also means that on nice recordings some of what I want will also be smoothed away so I guess you pick your battle.   

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6,726 of 21,175
  Measured the resistance of my HE-560s this morning.  49.8 and 50.1.

Now that I've created the perfect pads, I really don't want to take these off my head.  And they're less ugly.  Actually, they look pretty good.  Companies should seriously look into using microsuede.  Makes velour feel like sandpaper.

Like the material on my M80s, really nice hand to it. Not sure if they are real leather pads or not, but super comfortable material.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,727 of 21,175

Very nice review grizzlybeast! You really manage to portrait the diversified SQ and feeling this phone can deliver. This must be the most difficult can (I ever heard) to describe.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #6,728 of 21,175
Been using them for couple of days. Extremely impressed and couldn't take them off my ears but the right side cable fell off the connector LOL. I tried twisting it back in, but it falls off after a slight nudge. What a shame 
frown.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #6,729 of 21,175
  Been using them for couple of days. Extremely impressed and couldn't take them off my ears but the right side cable fell off the connector LOL. I tried twisting it back in, but it falls off after a slight nudge. What a shame 
frown.gif

Try pre-winding the cable up before screwing it on, so that the torsion in the cable itself locks it in.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #6,730 of 21,175
  They should also look into using grills that don't hinder SQ...

Not to defend HifiMan but even though these grills hinder sound quality I wonder if they pick something else would they be scared of damage issues. Also compared to the other open headphones I have had these grills seem like an easy target because they are easily removable. 

I found no hardness or harshness, nor sibilance. Just a slight tizz/shimmer. And I am convinced it is a trait of the headphone. Seen in measurements too and reported by others, even a long time ago with the pre-prods.
Edit: with production pads

I heard this characteristic at times, but most certainly only brought out by the recording/mastering of the source material. I have wonderful full recordings with plenty of cymbal work that are just dead on live and natural sounding (I am a drummer so quite familiar with cymbals). However, there were a few instances where some material would exhibit this shimmer around cymbals (most noticeable with cymbal work of course). Again, that is as we know the risk and reward of revealing/detailed headphones; on occasion you aren't going to like everything you hear. Fortunately this is not a common occurrence at all, and frankly rather predictable for me - I know what material I have that is hot mastered or poor in general so if I elect to listen to it, I know what I may get and typically I turn the volume down. So yes, I would also agree there can be the "shimmer" or extra energy around the edges of the treble at times. Still, I wouldn't give up the glorious capability of the 560 to be shielded from some poor recordings, those recording are poor whatever you play them through. If I opt for a headphone that smooth's some of those edges away, it also means that on nice recordings some of what I want will also be smoothed away so I guess you pick your battle.   

Blaming it on the recording makes a little bit of sense but let me mention this... Most professional gear is less hard in the treble than this headphone so the mixes of song with brighter instruments will mostly sound like @davidsh mentioned. Ie, From the adam f7's, 7x's, Focal Monitors to many others I recall arent as hard in the treble. It makes me wonder if they tune these with studio monitors. 

There will ALWAYS be a disconnect between the audiophile and professional musician realms where the dark hd650 was a staple (go figure). 

Very nice review grizzlybeast! You really manage to portrait the diversified SQ and feeling this phone can deliver. This must be the most difficult can (I ever heard) to describe.

Thanks! and it is a doozy of a headphone.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #6,731 of 21,175
Been using them for couple of days. Extremely impressed and couldn't take them off my ears but the right side cable fell off the connector LOL. I tried twisting it back in, but it falls off after a slight nudge. What a shame :frowning2:
If the black plastic is falling from the screw-in portion it's time to send the cable back. This usually results from installing and removing the cable by the plastic.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #6,732 of 21,175
Haha thanks, but i meant the connector of the cable fell off the cable.

http://imgur.com/NzyU38p

Sound comes on if i twist it to the right position, but it falls off after a slight nudge so I'll probably have to send these back. Don't really want to try any DIY fix for a 2 day old product lol 

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #6,733 of 21,175
Yeah, the black plastic fell off the connector lol. I uploaded a picture but apparently I don't have picture permissions so it went to forum moderators 
blink.gif

I doubt it's from installing the cable using the plastic bit tho, only touched the cable once - when i was connecting it, and it's either been on my head or on a stand for 2 days straight. 

Still weekend so i can't do anything for now.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #6,735 of 21,175
I think it says a lot about the 560 when almost all the cans they are being compared to are much more expensive

Not only about the he560..when the he500 came out (for 899usd..later the price was lowered to 699 as it was affecting the sales of the he6, some rumours said) and far far after that it was considered a steal of what it delivered soundwise...some even sold their he6 to get a he500.. And until now people still compare the he500 to much more expensive headphones and some prefer the he500 over them. Still do...so its nothing new a he headphone in that price range being compared to much more expensive headphones of other brands..that happened to almost all hifiman headphones..also in the past..from the rare woody he5 up until his latest models....as they make phones with an excellent price-performance ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back