= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6,676 of 21,171
So funny, I feel shame admitting I own that album! Of course I only play some of the tracks and sparingly. I love Art Blakey as well. I think I will spin some of that up tonight. I am a musical omnivore and I listen to a little of everything. I always say there are two kinds of music, good and bad, an both can occur in any genre. I know what you mean, even if you once found Happy at all catchy, kids play things into the ground. Just be glad you have headphones and the Helm of the ship.

Amen, hand tightly of the wheel, I am the Captain of this ship!!! When my wife gives me permission of course :flushed:..... Though, presently she is at work, Night Nurse, so I am the Captain damn it!!!!

On thread, how do you like your Yulong Amp...spinning Richard Thompson presently, "When the Spell is Broken" is weaving a spell through the 560's, beautiful!!!!

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #6,677 of 21,171
Amen, hand tightly of the wheel, I am the Captain of this ship!!! When my wife gives me permission of course :flushed:..... Though, presently she is at work, Night Nurse, so I am the Captain damn it!!!!

On thread, how do you like your Yulong Amp...spinning Richard Thompson presently, "When the Spell is Broken" is weaving a spell through the 560's, beautiful!!!!

Isn't it nice when the women are away? You know it is hard to say when you change two things at once as the 560s were like 5 hours at best in when I added the A18. I LOVE the combination, and as far as I can tell the A18 is stupidly good. Currently playing some Deadmau5 (love electronic music with the 560s!). Next up is some Bill Evans. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #6,678 of 21,171
Just played a You Tube of When the Spell is Broken, very nice. I think I will get that album this weekend so I can hear it properly. I think based on that song that you would love Mark Knopfler's Album, Sailing To Phillidelphia, in particular the song Silvertown Blues. Try to find a you tube video to hear what I mean.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #6,679 of 21,171
  An amp that surprised my was the Graham Slee Novo. I was very impressed with it. Quite musical and it drove my DT 880 (600ohm) quite well. I assume you have been reading about the Soloist so does it sound like a fit? Normally I think the DAC is more important than the amp, but on a tighter budget and driving the 560s is not that easy, so I think a stronger amp is not a bad thing. The higher the current the better for the 560 I would think. Again, take that as a highly subjective piece of advice as many, many users seem to feel the O2 or the Asgard 2 are quite enough amp. I think most capable DACs are going to do well enough so I wonder if the DAC is the least important gear here for you to consider. If it were an easier to drive headphone I would certainly feel different, but while it is not the slam dunk consensus, I think more amplifier strength is a good thing. Hell Schiit has a $99 DAC that is surprisingly competent.

I did read about the Graham Slee Novo.  I believe Headfonia believed that both the Soloist SL and Slee were quite good; unfortunately the Slee Novo is not on AMZ for Prime shipping, so it's out of consideration right now.

I've read that my Soundblaster Omni's Cirrus Logic CS439 DAC chip is comparable to Schiit Modi.  Is DAC really more important than Amp?  I do feel that Soloist might be overkill for HE-400i and 560... I guess getting Asgard 2 + Uberfrost would be better for the money but they are not available with AMZ Prime shipping :frowning2:

I'm considering getting the Soloist SL now (especially for the fact that it accepts both 110v and 230v) and then get Uberfrost later when I have more money.  Decent plan?

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #6,682 of 21,171
Haven't been here for a long time. Just measured my drivers: 46.9 and 47.7. Now that's nowhere close to the 35 from the specs.
Have other measured theirs?

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #6,683 of 21,171
  Hi all, my can is having rattling sound come from the right cup. Any idea how to fix it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Don't fix it yourself unless you know exactly what it is and what you are doing as you can easily damage things and your warranty would be voided perhaps. Not sure though how that would play out as all of the modding that goes on I would think might also be grounds for a warranty void, but seemingly that isn't the case. I hope somebody who is more a DIY head-fier chimes in and perhaps tell you what might be rattling around there. Good luck, and sorry to hear about that.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #6,684 of 21,171
Haven't been here for a long time. Just measured my drivers: 46.9 and 47.7. Now that's nowhere close to the 35 from the specs.
Have other measured theirs?

The pair I had on visit measured around 50, and was significantly less sensitive than HE-500.
Regarding amp/DAC I'd just point out that we are some who don't believe in spending lots of money. Just another perspective.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #6,685 of 21,171
The pair I had on visit measured around 50, and was significantly less sensitive than HE-500.
Regarding amp/DAC I'd just point out that we are some who don't believe in spending lots of money. Just another perspective.

And some others believe in spending enough to get the best out of the harder to drive HE series..being the he500/560/he5/he5le and the he6. I am in this group as i found out Personally it does help to spend on better equipment...if ur just starting n this hobby....dont go bogus and try to buy a multi million dollar amp or something...start with a mjolnir/a18/339 etc. or something and a good dac to go with it...and go from that....and then check audio meets out and shops....i did that..and its a nice road to be on...but..be at ur best to hide things for ur wife/girlfriend :D

Maybe this can help to find u a dac?

http://www.audiostream.com/category/dac-reviews
http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-dacs-to-buy-in-2014

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6,686 of 21,171
(Yes it is not always easy with grilfriend about that. have to restrain me greatly even though I gain correctly and even save money. But in a sense, this is not entirely negative ... )

So, Incredible. I brought my Lehmann Audio Rhinelander last night at home to compare with my Nad C BEE 3556 (which is my reference to date). 
I did not go to bed early ... 
I was expecting a subtle difference in favor of the Nad as often. 
I took a slap, I would not have imagined such a difference, and more in favor of Lehmann! I read somewhere that the soundtage the Nad is not great, but I did not think at this point. 
The soundtage of Lehmann's amazing, with it I realized the incredible possibilities of the HE-560. Before, it's like I took advantage of HE-560 at half ! With Lehmann I almost feel like in front of my speakers, it's really nice. 

By cons there necessarily a compromise. In a sense the Lehmann is ethereal, and the Nad has more punch, detail and above all more accurately. It is more frontal, have more PRAT. 
Both are valuable and good at their style. 
It's not easy, which I hesitate to adopt. 

In a sense both frustrate me! 

I want the qualities of both at the same time, but I guess you can not really have more soundstage without things seem more distant and less accurate, obviously ... no? 

It's probably a matter of taste but I still ask myself the question as to which sounds better objectively. 
Maybe Lehmann is just amazing but it's just that I'm not used to this quality, it is a possibility? 

Note on Lehmann: I tried the higher gain by putting two riders inside. It's amazing, the soundstage down a lot and is almost at the Nad level. I do not think the difference would be such. I returned to minimum gain. 

Note about volume : most of the time I'm about to 12 o'clock on Lehmann and 8 o'clock on the Nad. 

(Note on the Magni : it also has more soundstage than the Nad ​​, but less finesse and body than Lehmann.) 

What do you think about that, friends ?

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #6,687 of 21,171
Does anyone have any experience with the Peachtree DAC-IT (or DAC-IT X)?  They seem to be well regarded... most review it as better than Bifrost but not as good as Bifrost Uber.  They are a fraction of the Uberfrost price though ($299 on AMZ), and the power supply accepts 100v-240v power input, which is important for me.

Any thoughts?  Would this DAC be good enough for 400i/560?

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #6,689 of 21,171
  Does anyone have any experience with the Peachtree DAC-IT (or DAC-IT X)?  They seem to be well regarded... most review it as better than Bifrost but not as good as Bifrost Uber.  They are a fraction of the Uberfrost price though ($299 on AMZ), and the power supply accepts 100v-240v power input, which is important for me.

Any thoughts?  Would this DAC be good enough for 400i/560?

Seriously, DACs have a roll to play, but by most accounts you aren't talking night and day differences when the gear is in the entry/mid-fi level. Many of us in blind testing would be surprised how difficult it is to tell DACs apart. The headphone is the most important part of the chain, you have that covered with the 560 for sure (never heard the 400i myself). Don't get me wrong, a DAC does matter, but you don't need to kill yourself and agonize over it. Read reviews, if the overall sound signature people attribute to the DAC matches well with the synergy you are hoping to build (taking the headphone sound signature as the main determinant) the DAC should be fine. In my mind DACs are much like computer CPUs these days, most are very capable for the vast majority of users. Buy a reasonable DAC and just enjoy the music, you are going to end up like all of us my friend and every year or so you'll get the itch to try a new sound signature so unless you keep things for a long time, consider the gear a rental.

I may be wrong here, and as I have said and will repeat again, I know that there is equally no need to go nuts on an amp, but I would still find a decent amp, and with the 560 I feel the amp may be slightly more important then the DAC. Again, just opinion.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,690 of 21,171
Adding to above. For me the 560 move toward bright, but shy of it. I would likely like an DAC that isn't considered overly detailed and etched. While too much roll-off in high frequencies wouldn't due either, some is likely quite forgivable. My past Audiolab 8200CD had a Sabre DAC that was I found a tad etched and revealing; in contrast I found the Gungnir a little mellow and relaxed which worked quite well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back