= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #6,211 of 21,171
  Extremely upset by what just happened. My first set of HE-560s came in the mail a few weeks ago. It was scratched up pretty bad, so I requested a return and sent it back. Today, I received my replacements scratched up EVEN WORSE than last time and here's the kicker... The headphone cable wasn't included in the package.

Don't really know what to say, haven't ever dealt with quality control issues like this before. Very disappointed by how long it took to get the replacements shipped and the fact that the headphones came in worse shape than last time is extremely surprising. I was legitimately shocked , had my mouth open for like 5 minutes then took pictures and emailed them back. ****, really really pissed.

I think that with some burn-in headphones will open up and the scratches will disappear. And they removed the cable to protect the driver from air pressure fluctuations in package.

I wonder what HFM rep. will tell us this time.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #6,212 of 21,171
  Extremely upset by what just happened. My first set of HE-560s came in the mail a few weeks ago. It was scratched up pretty bad, so I requested a return and sent it back. Today, I received my replacements scratched up EVEN WORSE than last time and here's the kicker... The headphone cable wasn't included in the package.

Don't really know what to say, haven't ever dealt with quality control issues like this before. Very disappointed by how long it took to get the replacements shipped and the fact that the headphones came in worse shape than last time is extremely surprising. I was legitimately shocked , had my mouth open for like 5 minutes then took pictures and emailed them back. ****, really really pissed.

Make em take comprehensive photos of the replacement unit and email them to you before sending you another replacement 
tongue.gif

I do know though that when people send the headphones back for replacement or whatever, they should ideally just send the naked headphone without any accessories (that includes cable and earpads AFAIK).

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #6,213 of 21,171
I'm pretty surprised, I've been waiting for two weeks now and it's just one mistake after another. I don't want to have to deal with getting a refund but at this point I've never seen such lack of attention with something at that price point. The fact that your paying 1000 USD for something that's scratched is unacceptable imo. No excuses, you can't argue much when you're paying a premium for anything.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #6,214 of 21,171

Any pics of the scratched HP? I don't see how that can happen in the HF box so it must've happened BEFORE shipment or placement in the box.

+1 on Jerg's suggestion of a picture of the replacement being sent out before it's sent out. As well as no accessories being sent back for warranty (I made the same mistake but they were good enough to send the tips for my replacement RE400.

Also +1 that there's no argument when paying for a luxury item like +$500 phones to have scratches or damages.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #6,215 of 21,171
  I'm pretty surprised, I've been waiting for two weeks now and it's just one mistake after another. I don't want to have to deal with getting a refund but at this point I've never seen such lack of attention with something at that price point. The fact that your paying 1000 USD for something that's scratched is unacceptable imo. No excuses, you can't argue much when you're paying a premium for anything.

Each one direct shipped from China or from the Chicago "office"?

Regardless of price, if you're buying a new product, it shouldn't come to you scratched up.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #6,216 of 21,171

So it looks like this on both sides. On the left and right it's very noticeable. The first pair of HE-560s had scratches identical to this AND on the hand band as well as the wooden cups. I touched the scratches, it's definitely not fixable. Looks like it bumped along during the shipment. This is from their "Chicago office." One of their associates assured me that it wouldn't happen again and that they would take all precautions pre-shipment to look for any flaws in the packaging. The package box was scratched up, had no cable, and just had another extra layer of bubble wrap which seems like they didn't pay any attention to whatsoever... 

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,217 of 21,171

So it looks like this on both sides. On the left and right it's very noticeable. The first pair of HE-560s had scratches identical to this AND on the hand band as well as the wooden cups. I touched the scratches, it's definitely not fixable. Looks like it bumped along during the shipment. This is from their "Chicago office." One of their associates assured me that it wouldn't happen again and that they would take all precautions pre-shipment to look for any flaws in the packaging. The package box was scratched up, had no cable, and just had another extra layer of bubble wrap which seems like they didn't pay any attention to whatsoever... 

I think most HE560s have that specific scratchmark on the curve of the gimbals there, we all gotta live with it. However scratches on headband/cups haven't been reported by other impressions I've read so far.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #6,218 of 21,171
If that address is on Orchard St in Urbana, IL, you should know that's where they direct their US returns. I hope you're not getting headphones returned by others.

When I returned my order there, I thought it was odd they asked me to ship to an apartment. I looked up the address and discovered it's a building in the Family Housing complex on the U of I campus.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #6,219 of 21,171
  I think most HE560s have that specific scratchmark on the curve of the gimbals there, we all gotta live with it. However scratches on headband/cups haven't been reported by other impressions I've read so far.

Nope, my 560 is perfect. And while I know you are just being reasonable and realistic Jerg, but I can't agree that these type of issues are acceptable. HFM has a golden opportunity to really raise their profile and grow the brand, but if they keep being so sloppy with their quality control they are going to take a step backward. This is especially unacceptable as this is a replacement headphone. If that is my customer not only do I make darn sure he is extremely happy, I give him something very nice for free to show that I take my customers serious, and if I wrong them I make it up to them big time. The real measure of customer service isn't when things are going well, it is how you handle things when they are going wrong. I would expect HFM to really make it up to this very unlucky customer. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #6,220 of 21,171
This is what they emailed me - looks like I did everything I was supposed to (adding the headphone cables in the box) and they didn't fulfill any promises they made me initially. So odd, I don't know why they didn't send the cables in the box even though someone explained that already. Why the hell would you ask to add the accessories in the box and forget to ship the cable. What is going on who is doing this? I don't want to get any more upset over this but it's quite a surprise how they didn't pay attention whatsoever. Now it's been 2 weeks and I'm really considering returning the headphones for a refund. What's the point of keeping this?

Hi Peter,

Sincere sorry for the inconvenience we brought to you. We are sure that the headphone send to you is new and those scratches may be caused during transportation. I have communicated with our related official and was told that they have pay attention to this problem and have successfully avoid it. 

We are willing to exchange a new one if you like. Please ship it to our USA address:
Hua Qi
2032 S. Orchard St.  Apt. B
Urbana, IL 61801
USA 
In your package, please include:
1. The item with all accessories/box. 
2. Copy of your receipt
3. Note that you need a new replacement; also include your name, phone number, email address, and the reason you want to replace. 
Please also email me your tracking information after you shipped it. We will arrange the shipment after we received your package. Thank you. 

Sorry again. 

Best Regards
Zhao Zhenyu
HIFIMAN Customer Service Team

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #6,221 of 21,171
  If that address is on Orchard St in Urbana, IL, you should know that's where they direct their US returns. I hope you're not getting headphones returned by others.

When I returned my order there, I thought it was odd they asked me to ship to an apartment. I looked up the address and discovered it's a building in the Family Housing complex on the U of I campus.

Yes, some of the quality control issues might be explained by distributed points of production/packaging with less oversight than is appropriate. Mistakes also happen, but if I am employee X packing a replacement headphone I am being extremely sure of the product going out not only because I have pride in what I do, but because the managers have alerted me to look for the return from customer Y and that I need to be very sure the replacement is perfect. I know I am extrapolating and I don't know what actually happened, but what I am describing isn't exactly unlikely either. Love my 560, but HFM if you are here still, you can do better, and you need to do better. Small issues are never actually small, they grow.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #6,222 of 21,171
I just returned my defective HE-500s to Delaware, per the address provided by HFM's customer service.  I also asked about what they send as replacements for defective returns.  Answer: "we will send another replacement (not brand new but fully tested and refurbished) back to them immediately after the claimed issue is verified."  There are clearly QC issues with, at the very least the shipping dept., if not at the factory.  There are simply too many reports to say otherwise.  Sadly, the only solution is to be the squeaky well and get the grease.

So yeah, return went to Delaware, "new" HE-560s (they could very well be new, since they're technically an upgrade) are coming from Illinois.  OTOH, maybe I'll get your original pair @petezjunior  
wink.gif
  I'll post here on their state after a quick once over.

Sorry for your troubles, @petezjunior 

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #6,223 of 21,171
  This is what they emailed me - looks like I did everything I was supposed to (adding the headphone cables in the box) and they didn't fulfill any promises they made me initially. So odd, I don't know why they didn't send the cables in the box even though someone explained that already. Why the hell would you ask to add the accessories in the box and forget to ship the cable. What is going on who is doing this? I don't want to get any more upset over this but it's quite a surprise how they didn't pay attention whatsoever. Now it's been 2 weeks and I'm really considering returning the headphones for a refund. What's the point of keeping this?

Hi Peter,

Sincere sorry for the inconvenience we brought to you. We are sure that the headphone send to you is new and those scratches may be caused during transportation. I have communicated with our related official and was told that they have pay attention to this problem and have successfully avoid it. 

We are willing to exchange a new one if you like. Please ship it to our USA address:
Hua Qi
2032 S. Orchard St.  Apt. B
Urbana, IL 61801
USA 
In your package, please include:
1. The item with all accessories/box. 
2. Copy of your receipt
3. Note that you need a new replacement; also include your name, phone number, email address, and the reason you want to replace. 
Please also email me your tracking information after you shipped it. We will arrange the shipment after we received your package. Thank you. 

Sorry again. 

Best Regards
Zhao Zhenyu
HIFIMAN Customer Service Team

See what is wrong, here the customer is being put to work. No, no, no, never. The company needs to say we are so sorry, it should not have happened. We are immediately rushing you a replacement headphone with the fastest shipping possible. We would ask you to ship the headphone back to us using our account number, please call courier X at ..... to arrange the return of your product. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and here at HFM the customer is our only priority. See, that is what you do, not ask the customer to face any more delay in enjoying their product.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #6,224 of 21,171
How does one get a hold of the the "warmer" sounding pads? Apparently I have production pads. There should be pics of the two pads.

As it is the he560 is sort of a mixed bag for my preferences. I do believe they are really good headphones but their balance is upward tilted and accompanied by their speed and control makes for a less inviting, sultry sound. It's out to impress rather than be down to earth. It's balance forces me to pay attention to it instead of the music. Quality for quality it's a very faultless headphone. I just find it hard to listen to the music over the headphone. This will take more brain burn in for me or I will let it go. I keep opening and closing my fs add because there is so much to like about it. I just wish for a lot more height in the soundstage because it seems very short and a little more depth. I love the details and am a hair away from building a better rig around it or letting it go.

How is the soundstage depth compared to the Philips Fidelio L2? Both having upward tilted balance to your ears, would the HE-560 have less emphasized or more refined highs than the L2?

Also, any chance you'll be comparing the Fidelio X2 and the HE-560?

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,225 of 21,171
  See what is wrong, here the customer is being put to work. No, no, no, never. The company needs to say we are so sorry, it should not have happened. We are immediately rushing you a replacement headphone with the fastest shipping possible. We would ask you to ship the headphone back to us using our account number, please call courier X at ..... to arrange the return of your product. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and here at HFM the customer is our only priority. See, that is what you do, not ask the customer to face any more delay in enjoying their product.

Indeed, and that lesson is yet to be learned.  While it's annoying, I can live with paying for the first return shipment, but considered what he got as the replacement, HFM ought to deliver a brand new pair to his door... in a limo... wearing white gloves.  Truly unacceptable, and it's making me nervous.  Glad yours were perfect upon delivery, Sonic.  Fingers crossed, breath not held.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back