= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5,401 of 21,171
Just signed for my 560! Nice, but it bites that I'm at work. Tonight will be fun.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #5,403 of 21,171
Edited also:blush:

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #5,405 of 21,171
Ur right..my apologies..hope to try a he560 soon though

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5,406 of 21,171
I was having an email discussion with an audio buddy and decided to share my thoughts here regarding the comparison of HE-560 to the HD800:

I have been listening well into the early morning hours last four nights with the Teac HA-501, comparing the HD800 and HE-560 cans. I am extremely impressed with the amp, which seems to be opening up more and more. It find it bizarre that it seems to require a very long break in time.

So far, I have to give the edge to the HD800 and that lead is by a baby's hair. If the HD800 had more deep bass it would be a clear winner. OTOH, the HD800 has a slight rise in that sibilance region that excludes favor with much recorded material. When I go back to the 560, I am floored at how damned neutral it is, and how perfect the bass! It is truly a fantastic headphone. And the HD800 is breathtaking at conveying with precision the recording details - soundstaging, imaging, low level details, lower midrange naturalness, and everything about the "bones" of the recording. It is extremely revealing.

People want to compare these two headphones which is a little unfair to me for the simple reason they are state of the art examples of two operating types: Dynamic (HD800) and Planar Magnetic (HE-560). The HD800 excels at some dynamic "snap" and imaging/soundstaging while the HE-560 excels at neutrality and very wide bandwidth with extremely well controlled and low distortion deep bass.

In short, with the right amp (and I think I found a good match for both in the Teac), they are to me equal.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,407 of 21,171
What - no one wants to point out the hypocricy of my remark (above)? 
biggrin.gif

I too get trapped by the human tendancy to define a winner when it is a question of personal taste. I show my taste and want for a "winner" to emerge just as we all do, to make a choice between the two easier, for many different reasons: status? (I show all "I am a decisive authority"), economics? (I have to sell one of these some day), simplification? (get rid of clutter), etc.

The truth is I think the choice in one phone over the other, in the long run, cannot be determined.

Clear as mud? 
blink.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #5,408 of 21,171
  What - no one wants to point out the hypocricy of my remark (above)? 
biggrin.gif

I too get trapped by the human tendancy to define a winner when it is a question of personal taste. I show my taste and want for a "winner" to emerge just as we all do, to make a choice between the two easier, for many different reasons: status? (I show all "I am a decisive authority"), economics? (I have to sell one of these some day), simplification? (get rid of clutter), etc.

The truth is I think the choice in one phone over the other, in the long run, cannot be determined.

Clear as mud? 
blink.gif

Well of course, we all have different tastes. 
wink.gif
 I myself prefer almost a neutral sound signature- extended but not overly done bass (think neutral bass which may lack to some) that can slam when needed, slightly forward, realistic mids and extended (slightly sparkly) treble.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #5,410 of 21,171
A secondhand WA7? I love mine w the HE560.

That would be interesting, and with the expanse of the head-fi community, there's bound to be one out there

I found this..a bit above ur budget..but a i think it could be a very good pairing... Its a speaker amp :D

http://www.bluecircle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1731

Ah, if only...

I've noticed a few people talking Schiit, what are your guys impressions of the lyr with these headphones?

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #5,411 of 21,171
I ordered the 560 Pads for my 400s a week and a half ago (i believe theyll start shipping today).  What difference in sound can i expect vs the velour pads? I may add a sheet of 1-ply toilet paper between the baffle and the pad...apparently that helps with sibilance? 

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #5,412 of 21,171
Jul 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5,414 of 21,171
  I just pulled the trigger!

Now I'm wondering if they will sound too bright with my Mjolnir ?

If anything it'll be a great match. I find them more pleasing with neutral or north of neutral (bright) DACs.

Anyone try them with a Sabre DAC?

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5,415 of 21,171

Anyone try them with a Sabre DAC?

well, yes.
iMac-->Audirvana+-->Wireworld Starlight USB-->Concero HD-->Wireworld RCA-->Vali-->HE-560.
yet I suppose the tubes in Vali could soften some aspects of the Concero HD Sabre a bit?

Still in day 3 of burn in.  so far can't crank the Vali volume knob much pass 12noon due to supreme loudness.   
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back