= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #4,622 of 21,171
  Monkeysixtysix, just curiousity, when you order the 560 using the 20% off coupon, was the headphone in stock?  I know it's only a few more hours till Monday, any way of ordering when it's out of stock? 

Yes, it was in stock. I can speak here because I tested it out. No way of doing an order when it's out unless you call.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4,623 of 21,171

First, just a few words about what I think the gaming experience is going to be like on the 400i (because you mentioned MLE's thread and you have a X-Fi, like what I'm using in my gaming computer). I agree that most people should be more than satisfied with the 400i when gaming. You're going to lose some of that immersion factor because the soundstage isn't as large as something like the AKG 70x series or the Sennheiser HD598, but it'll more than make up for that with its imaging performance. And also, the bass that the 400i can produce will be absolutely fantastic for gaming and movies - somewhat making up for the immersion factor lost with the smaller soundstage.

I pretty much agree with you in assessing how good a of deal are these headphones in relation to each other. Though I will say this - as it stands, I feel that the HE-400i is a better deal. However, if the 560's price ever dropped down to something like $700, then I think that would be the better deal - hell, it'd be a killer deal at that price. Then again, like you said, if the 400i's price were to drop down to like $400 or even $300, then that's a no-brainer. But if the 560 dropped down to $720 and the 400i dropped down to $400 (both 20% discounts), then I would probably spend the extra money to go directly for the 560 to get an end-game setup, rather than buying the 400i first and then upgrading to the 560.  Also, you have to keep in mind that both the 400i and 560 are extremely comfortable - to me, that's definitely worth some money right there.

There's also one more thing I have to mention - I think your preferences in how you want a headphone to sound will also affect which one you think is the better buy. Do I think the 560's are better than the 400i overall? Yes. But do I think that the 560 is better than the 400i in terms of vocals? No - I prefer the more intimate feeling of someone singing almost right in front of me that the 400i provides, and I would gladly trade that off for some more details in the vocals considering my budget.

EDIT: Oh man, now that I think about it, considering we can get 20% off for the 560, should I instead go for those headphones rather than the 400i's myself? I'd love to, but I'd have to see if my budget really allows it...

Well, according to you, the soundstage is larger in depth, but not width. Oh I know the bass of the 400i will be favorable. That's one of the main reasons I'm considering it over the 560.

Even with the discount, I feel the HE-400i is the better deal. Why? Possible future revisions of the HE-560 coupled with an inevitable price drop, as well as being able to spend that extra money on a quality amp. Not to mention it could come with different pads. Oh, also more efficient as well (although not by a really significant amount I don't think). As far as the amp, no need for a DAC when my H/K receiver, future X-Fi Card (owned one last year), and future Galaxy S5 already have quality DAC's. Speaking of the S5, I'm not going to be running full-size headphones out of that. The Senn IE800's are strictly for that. Anywho, gotta throw in the possibility that by going end-game with the 560's you rule out possible better headphones by either HFM later down the road or another company. Going with the 400i is the safe bet.

I prefer a linear and neutral sound with some emphasis in bass (quality just as much as quantity is important to me) with a large enough soundstage and precise imaging (like the AKG/HD800) to pinpoint people in games as well as have a live/out of head experience with music. I also LOVE mids. How would you describe the feeling of the 560s then? As far as treble goes, I don't even know how I feel about it totally yet.

Up to you. The saved money can be spent elsewhere :p

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4,624 of 21,171
  this thread has become substantially less enjoyable.

Would you rather hear people bickering about the pads? lol. I find that this thread has become better, especially recently.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4,625 of 21,171
Will definitely call in the morning and use that coupon.  Don't know whether it's hype or combination of all that was read up to this point in this thread, I have to get this!  Thanks guys.  

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #4,626 of 21,171
  Will definitely call in the morning and use that coupon.  Don't know whether it's hype or combination of all that was read up to this point in this thread, I have to get this!  Thanks guys.  

Well, wait till 2am EST and check on their website to see what happens. If it still says out of stock, wait until they open at 11am EST to see if the website has updated their stock yet. If not, I mean, the day did just start for them, so you could either wait again a couple hours or call then to place your order explaining how others have ordered with the coupon as well as the fact that the coupon expires that day and the product arrives that day.

Hey, thanks abound. It's going to be a tremoundous headphone for sure.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #4,627 of 21,171
How did you get this discount coupons?

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,628 of 21,171
  How did you get this discount coupons?

First off, this is at HeadRoom (headphone.com)

Well, before there was a little part that stuck out on the right hand side in red that said "20% off". When you clicked on it you entered your email to signup for their newsletter, and it gave you a code. Just checked the site. It's not there anymore. It expires on the 7th. Not sure how you'd go about getting it now. Guess you'll have to call and ask when they open.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #4,630 of 21,171
  Thanks mate.

Sure thing, and thanks for the rep. Wish more people did that with me. Although when I did mine, it was a little different. I didn't use the red part on the side. It was an image that they had advertised near the top as far as I remember. That is gone as well.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #4,631 of 21,171

Well, according to you, the soundstage is larger in depth, but not width. Oh I know the bass of the 400i will be favorable. That's one of the main reasons I'm considering it over the 560.

Even with the discount, I feel the HE-400i is the better deal. Why? Possible future revisions of the HE-560 coupled with an inevitable price drop, as well as being able to spend that extra money on a quality amp. Not to mention it could come with different pads. Oh, also more efficient as well (although not by a really significant amount I don't think). As far as the amp, no need for a DAC when my H/K receiver, future X-Fi Card (owned one last year), and future Galaxy S5 already have quality DAC's. Speaking of the S5, I'm not going to be running full-size headphones out of that. The Senn IE800's are strictly for that. Anywho, gotta throw in the possibility that by going end-game with the 560's you rule out possible better headphones by either HFM later down the road or another company. Going with the 400i is the safe bet.

I prefer a linear and neutral sound with some emphasis in bass (quality just as much as quantity is important to me) with a large enough soundstage and precise imaging (like the AKG/HD800) to pinpoint people in games as well as have a live/out of head experience with music. I also LOVE mids. How would you describe the feeling of the 560s then? As far as treble goes, I don't even know how I feel about it totally yet.

Up to you. The saved money can be spent elsewhere :p

True, I hadn't thought about the possible future revisions and other future headphones. And you're right about using the saved money to buy a better amp - one of the reasons why I'm leaning more towards the 400i anyways. As good as I think my current setup is, I think I'll want to get something even better so I know that at least I'm driving the 400i to more of its potential.

Anyways, anybody who's getting the 560 is still getting a good deal, especially with that 20% off.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #4,632 of 21,171

True, I hadn't thought about the possible future revisions and other future headphones. And you're right about using the saved money to buy a better amp - one of the reasons why I'm leaning more towards the 400i anyways. As good as I think my current setup is, I think I'll want to get something even better so I know that at least I'm driving the 400i to more of its potential.

Anyways, anybody who's getting the 560 is still getting a good deal, especially with that 20% off.

Definitely gotta consider them, as awesome as the 560 may sound/be. Yup, considering getting a Schiit Asgard 2 amp myself, probably from here, lol, with the 400i savings. Yup, definitely wanna get all I can out of the phones. Plus, getting an amp will allow me to still use the headphone jack on the front of my receiver so I can get the benefits of Dolby Headphone in my console gaming, all while getting more power.

Oh they're getting a great deal! I'm hoping I can convince them to at least give me 10% off the 400i. If they're letting the 560 go for 20% off, why not the 400i? Maybe the profit margin is lower, idk. I'll use my emails with the CEO as a bargaining tool :p

Hey, you didn't tell me though, how do you describe the feeling of the mids on the 560s?
Also, how's the life-like/out of head experience with the 400i?

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #4,633 of 21,171
  No, that is exactly what one cannot know unless there's specs for it. Usually, a 2 watt rated amp will have lower distortion outputting 2 watts compared to a 1 watt rated amp outputting 2 watts. But that depends..

Besides, one cannot really safeguard oneself from placebo. I rarely trust my ears.

Thanks for the clarification, I understand what you mean now :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #4,634 of 21,171
Update - 560's still out of stock at headphone.com
I thought it may update automatically at midnight, but nope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back