= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #4,516 of 21,179
  Wow. Dropped to to read some impressions on the cans I just ordered and stepped into 'pad-gate' 
confused_face(1).gif
 I feel a bit bad for Fang; his genuine attempt to make a last minute tweak to provide a better product has swamped him with all the negative 'noise' competing with what should be resounding praise for another awesome set of cans. Chill gang, enjoy your production HE-560's. 

All I can say is... yeaahhhh. Lol. Pad-gate.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #4,519 of 21,179
A quick question for you head-fiers, my amp I am currently using tops out at 500 mW per channel at 16 Ohms. Would that be enough to show the true potential of the HE-560? They sound very good tonally, but I noticed a much more spacious sound from the Woo Audio WA6 I listened too in the shop when I demoed the unit. Possibly from more available power?

Thanks for your input all
smily_headphones1.gif

i doubt it was power, or more specifically clean current, that made the wa6 sound more spacious; the stock wa6 puts out approx. 400 mW at 32 ohms.

but if you're looking for good alternatives with some power, i'd recommend the schiit amps like the asgard 2. nice sound with amazing prices.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4,521 of 21,179

i doubt it was power, or more specifically clean current, that made the wa6 sound more spacious; the stock wa6 puts out approx. 400 mW at 32 ohms.

but if you're looking for good alternatives with some power, i'd recommend the schiit amps like the asgard 2. nice sound with amazing prices.

Thanks for your reply mate. :) you're right.. Looking through this thread I do seem to see people saying 1-2 Watt per channel is needed to drive this 'phone to its fullest.

Hmmm.. then what could it be.. The amp I have uses a conventional switching power supply, and I am in the process of building a linear regulated unit from AMB for it. Maybe that'll improve the amp's ability to drive the 560 since the Woo amp has that already built in.

Thanks for the advice and recommendations, I am actually looking at the Lyr 2 and Burson Audio Soloist SL as potential upgrades if this new PSU still doesn't allow the amp to sound as I like it to. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,522 of 21,179
500 mW or 2000 mW is a rather small difference in sound pressure, it matters much more how loud you prefer to listen. Besides, a certain wattage can mean many things depending on the amp and at which distortion the specs are given. Generally, one is 'safe' with 1+ watts

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4,523 of 21,179

Definitely. I'm getting mine Monday for $720 shipped :p That's pretty much the exact same reason I'm getting the 560, no brainer compared to the rest. I agree with that as well, but curious to see how the 400i performs.

$720 shipped is a stupidly good price. That must feel nice to get a solid score like that! I was even a little bit more lucky once back when I purchased my SPL Auditor new. I went all over the Internet searching and everywhere it was basically $899US. Then I stumble across a Canadian seller showing $545 Canadian. Needless to say I hit add to cart very quickly. That was a stunning amp with my dearly departed DT 880 600ohm version and my also departed D7000. I wish I hadn't sold the Auditor as I have a feeling it would be very good with the 560 as it had very strong current swinging ability. I am sure the Asgard 2 will do well. Anyway, it sounds like we will be getting our 560s around the same time so that is very nice to look forward to.

The only current headphone I own is the NAD HP50, but after a little time with the 560 I may compare them. There are I am sure many people with low-mid fi tier headphones (such as my HP50) wondering as I did if the step up in tiers that the 560 represents is really going to "clearly" superior across the board which I suspect it is. To foreshadow the comparison what I most hope to improve on from the NAD is the definition and speed of the low-mids and the high-low notes. I wouldn't call the HP50 congested, but it certainly has a little "thickness" in these regions that feels like there could be more transparency and separation. I am actually looking forward to comparing them and then selling the HP 50 (unless there is a reason to keep them around). For me I find very little time available to use headphones so having two sound signatures just isn't viable. Not to mention I recently upgraded my speaker based system so that will compete for time as well.

On that note for any who also like me enjoy having a regular speaker based rig around I can highly recommend the use of 2 sub woofers over just one. I am not a bass-head at all, I like strong, balanced and articulate bass that feels proportionate in the mix and having two subs at the proper level really makes the entire low/mid frequencies more cohesive. Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming, thanks for indulging me.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4,524 of 21,179
I'll be doing a direct K612 comparison. I know there's a staggering price difference, but I'll focus on the aspects the AKGs do brilliantly, like imaging, staging, detail retrieval and bass linearity... Both will share my current "reference" Compass2 setup, with a possible upgrade down the line, depending on the outcome.

My 560 will be arriving late next week, hopefully...

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4,525 of 21,179
People are cancelling their orders because they think they would have preferred the previous version of the pads that they've never heard over the production version that they've never heard. Ha! More of a Head-fi issue than a pad issue if you ask me. I'm not returning my order even if it comes with no pads!

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #4,526 of 21,179
Been listening to the 560 for a week now. Comparing them to the 800, LCD3, K712 & HE 500. Got about 100 hrs. on em so far. Really a great HP. A lot of fuss over the pads on previous posts, great thing is with the HFM HP pad swapping is a breeze. The new pads are (for me) sonically better than the older pleathers or velour but for my ears at least I could use a bit more room inside, they still feel a bit tight. More experimentation to come on pad rolling.
Bass on the 560 is less for sure than the 500's, tighter but less energy in the sub-bass region, especially compared the LCD3. For the most part these are great all rounders. Micro detail is much better than the 500 as well as soundstage, and as much as I love the 500 this is where I felt they were lacking. The LCD3 is still the better HP for me in SQ, but the comfort is bothersome, can only listen for short periods.
The 560 is a joy to wear!

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #4,527 of 21,179
People are cancelling their orders because they think they would have preferred the previous version of the pads that they've never heard over the production version that they've never heard. Ha! More of a Head-fi issue than a pad issue if you ask me. I'm not returning my order even if it comes with no pads!

I do agree with this...  It seems absurd to cancel an order before even hearing the gosh darn headphone.  Despite the treble, they are a very competent pair of headphones that do very well :) 

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #4,528 of 21,179
^^^shhhhh.....I am hoping their returns don't go through.......and I can poach a pair on the FS Thread:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!!!!!

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #4,530 of 21,179
Has anyone ordered these off of HeadRoom? I attempted to order them today with the 20% off deal, but since they are out of stock, they will not even take orders. Was anyone able to order these with the discount after they went out of stock? If so, could you explain how you were able to get the discount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back