= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4,382 of 21,171
I'm getting the HE-560 Mondayyy. The coupon code I have expires that same day too, so 20% off $899 for me :D

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #4,383 of 21,171
Well guys, some interesting news.  After Jerg brought up the idea of swapping the preorder pads with the production pads on the production 560, a few of us said that it sounded warmer and more akin to the preorder 560.

I personally prefer the sound of the preorder 560 to the production 560, and here is what the production 560 looks like with the preorder pads.

For comparison's sake, here's the preorder one:

And here's the production 560 with the production pads:

The lowest bass rolloff and distortion on the pad-swapped production 560 could be a slight seal issue from the measurements, nothing you should be worried about.  Same goes for the extreme treble above 10khz again.

The preorder pads bring down the 4khz bump a little bit, to make the 560 sound more even throughout that region.  I speculate that it could be an issue with the use of pleather along the inside and bottom of the newest pads, the older pads have velour mesh-type material, which probably functions as better damping.  There could also be some differences in sound due to smaller opening, but as can be seen from my previous picture in this thread, the difference in opening is very minimal.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4,385 of 21,171
  Went to HeadRoom but the HE-560  is now marked "out of stock".

Yeah, mm, that's my fault actually. I was correspoding with the CEO of Headroom, and he said that actually wasn't suppose to be that way. Earlier you could buy it right then and there. Have to wait till Monday though.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #4,386 of 21,171
The preorder pads bring down the 4khz bump a little bit, to make the 560 sound more even throughout that region.  I speculate that it could be an issue with the use of pleather along the inside and bottom of the newest pads, the older pads have velour mesh-type material, which probably functions as better damping.

Just checked under the pads of the production pads. Solid pleather underneath with perforated pleather on the inner canal wall. There will be a definite treble loss with that.. the original jerg calls for openings on the inside, not solid pleather. I'm tempted to tAke a needle to make perforations on the inside...

Btw with velour pads, there's striking similarity to my modded he4.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #4,387 of 21,171
Just checked under the pads of the production pads. Solid pleather underneath with perforated pleather on the inner canal wall. There will be a definite treble loss with that.. the original jerg calls for openings on the inside, not solid pleather. I'm tempted to tAke a needle to make perforations on the inside...

Btw with velour pads, there's striking similarity to my modded he4.

Well it's not really the treble-loss or whatever that matters here, more the proper tuning in the upper midrange. I think the measurements there speak for themselves which pads tune the sound to be more neutral.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #4,388 of 21,171
  Well guys, some interesting news.  After Jerg brought up the idea of swapping the preorder pads with the production pads on the production 560, a few of us said that it sounded warmer and more akin to the preorder 560.

I personally prefer the sound of the preorder 560 to the production 560, and here is what the production 560 looks like with the preorder pads.

For comparison's sake, here's the preorder one:

And here's the production 560 with the production pads:

The lowest bass rolloff and distortion on the pad-swapped production 560 could be a slight seal issue from the measurements, nothing you should be worried about.  Same goes for the extreme treble above 10khz again.

The preorder pads bring down the 4khz bump a little bit, to make the 560 sound more even throughout that region.  I speculate that it could be an issue with the use of pleather along the inside and bottom of the newest pads, the older pads have velour mesh-type material, which probably functions as better damping.  There could also be some differences in sound due to smaller opening, but as can be seen from my previous picture in this thread, the difference in opening is very minimal.

Thanks for the measurements.  Something I wanted to see. 

I wonder if anything changes if the pads break in :p  LOL.  Compressed foam can have different characteristics than uncompressed :p  Also changes distance to the mic as well...  Slightly :p 

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #4,389 of 21,171
Do the pre production pads have velour on the bottom and inner canal wall?
Well it's not really the treble-loss or whatever that matters here, more the proper tuning in the upper midrange. I think the measurements there speak for themselves which pads tune the sound to be more neutral.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4,390 of 21,171
Do the pre production pads have velour on the bottom and inner canal wall?

Not velour, the underside lining is a continuous weave of a permeable mesh fabric, sorta kinda like a very coarse stocking material.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #4,391 of 21,171
  Not velour, the underside lining is a continuous weave of a permeable mesh fabric, sorta kinda like a very coarse stocking material.

Ooooh, so it's like UBER jerg technology. Methinks the pseudo-jerg pin size holes of the production pads aren't sufficiently big enough to do the job properly.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #4,393 of 21,171

Ooooh, so it's like UBER jerg technology. Methinks the pseudo-jerg pin size holes of the production pads aren't sufficiently big enough to do the job properly.

Haha yep, that's a way of putting it.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4,394 of 21,171
Oh, well. I'll try first and hear

Both pads should be offered IMO. I'd gladly buy the smaller pads separately to test.:xf_eek:[/quote]

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #4,395 of 21,171
I sincerely hope HFM still has the old pads around...

Minus 1 for the bitchy Headfi community for bitching about something that was more than likely a non-issue for the vast majority of people to begin with.

That will teach you all to actually try a product before hopping on the 'change' bandwagon.

Now people will probably have to resort to modding the new pads to get them to sound like the old ones.

Old pads will become a rare commodity, exclusive to those who preordered early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back