= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,336 of 21,171

Woohoo! Fedex tracking number shows my HE-560s are on the truck and out for delivery by 12noon Mountain time today!! Looks like I get to play with a new toy this weekend!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dale

Now Dale, nobody likes a braggart!

Definitely not trying to brag, but sharing my excitement! Got my soldering iron, tools, cable and connectors ready to build a balanced cable the moment I receive the order (which also contains some HiFiMan connectors so I can build my own cables). In the meantime I'll listen to the HE-560s via the included single-ended cable while I build the balanced cable. So looking forward to it...

Dale

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #4,340 of 21,171

Definitely not trying to brag, but sharing my excitement! Got my soldering iron, tools, cable and connectors ready to build a balanced cable the moment I receive the order (which also contains some HiFiMan connectors so I can build my own cables). In the meantime I'll listen to the HE-560s via the included single-ended cable while I build the balanced cable. So looking forward to it...

Dale

Dude, I was totally joking with you! I know you weren't bragging. Sorry if you thought I was serious. I figured with all that oil money flowing in Alberta you would have a great sense of humour!!

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4,342 of 21,171

Dale

Dude, I was totally joking with you! I know you weren't bragging. Sorry if you thought I was serious. I figured with all that oil money flowing in Alberta you would have a great sense of humour!!

No worries, I knew you weren't serious
smily_headphones1.gif
. And I do have a pretty good sense of humour, but for some reason it doesn't always come across in the forums. The written word just lacks that expression that indicates your mood. Alas I don't really get to share in any of that oil money... I made my career choice to work in the health care system, and like most provinces in Canada, health care doesn't exactly pay us front-line workers like they do our executives. I guess they figure that they have to compete with all the oil business for good upper management so they only pay upper management extremely well.

That's OK... I enjoy my job (repairing and maintaining medical devices) and get a lot of satisfaction knowing that I'm making a difference and helping patients, physicians and other health care providers. And although my salary is no-where near what the oil industry could provide, at least I still make enough to buy new toys like the HE-560 occasionally. Definitely waiting in anticipation... really interested in comparing them with my HD800s, which some say they come very close to in signature.

Dale

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,344 of 21,171
OK, they're here! 
smily_headphones1.gif

After my initial 20 minutes of listening (I know, far less than the recommended 150 hrs of burn-in, but hey!), here are my initial impressions:

PROS:
- overall construction and fit/finish are very nice - my wood veneers match in color and I can't find any defects so far
- definitely reminiscent of my listening sessions with the HE-500, but certainly a more open soundstage (width)
- bass is well defined and certainly seems to have fantastic impact, but need to listen balanced to truly compare with the HD800s
- overall, very comfortable to wear - the lighter weight is certainly a big bonus - my neck would fatigue after 2 hours with the HE-500, but I can tell these will go MUCH longer
- love the cable that it ships with - very light and flexible

CONS:
- the pads seal around my ears much tighter than my HD800s and as such I notice sweating quite quickly - this may change after the pads wear-in
- although the cable is well built, I find it too short for my liking - I'm working on a replacement balanced cable right now, so we'll see how they sound with my OCC cable once done
- definitely not the prettiest to look at when wearing... thankfully the visual esthetics are the least important - sonic qualities are what count!

That's enough for now and obviously are only my initial impressions. So far though, things bode well and I'm pretty pleased with the addition of the 560s to my collection. We'll see how I feel once my balanced cable is put into use and they've had significantly more burn-in time.

Dale

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #4,345 of 21,171
  OK, they're here! 
smily_headphones1.gif

After my initial 20 minutes of listening (I know, far less than the recommended 150 hrs of burn-in, but hey!), here are my initial impressions:

- although the cable is well built, I find it too short for my liking - I'm working on a replacement balanced cable right now, so we'll see how they sound with my OCC cable once done

Roughly how long is the cable?

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #4,346 of 21,171

Woohoo! Fedex tracking number shows my HE-560s are on the truck and out for delivery by 12noon Mountain time today!! Looks like I get to play with a new toy this weekend!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dale

Now Dale, nobody likes a braggart!

Dale

HFM connectors did not come with mine....did anyone receive them with their Rev.2?

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,347 of 21,171

OK, they're here! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Roughly how long is the cable?

6'

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4,349 of 21,171
Cable is much nicer than 560
Not a great believer in breakin after about 48 hrs bot seem to be mellower and larger sound stage at that point

Didn't notice the sound stage, not something I tend to listen for :p  I did notice the treble mellowing out though :p 

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4,350 of 21,171
Well i just ordered the Hybrid Ear Pads for my HE-400.  Hopefully its a noticeable step up from the Velour pads. Since i only paid $260 total for a used HE-400, spending $50 including shipping for pads seems a bit disproportionate haha

Was hoping the new pads would be around $10-$20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back