= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #4,201 of 21,175
I had a preorder with a dealer cancelled it and had my phones from china via dhl in 4 days I was like a little kid waiting
Haven't AB with 500 yet but weight and fit are probably worth the difference only have about 2 hrs on them and went out of town back tonight for some heavy listening
Quick impression is light and airy sound good placement not as dark but not bright

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #4,203 of 21,175
The graphs look very good. I have felt that they might be lacking a bit in upper mids, but every time I EQ'ed up this region, mids would get a surreal aura. It seems that the only difference in FR of production and preorder model (relating to 1kHz) is that in production there is slightly more (3dB) bass, 4kHz peak is moved further by about 3-5dB, so now lower treble is on the same level as mids, and mid treble is bit smoother. I think the production model is more neutral.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #4,204 of 21,175
This is easy.
The Nad HP50 is a mid level performer, in the mid tier category. ..

While the he560 is an upper perfomer,
In the top tier category. .

+1. These headphones are on a totally new level... I couldn't have possibly comprehended this until I tried them.. So my best advice is try to find a place where you can try on the headphones before buying to make sure they are worth the price for you. I know for me going from my K702 they were well worth it. 
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4,205 of 21,175
  I just bought the HE-560 from AV One in Singapore after auditioning it alongside with the LCD-2.

Both are beautiful!!! This headphone is my upgrade from my K702 and boy... its in a totally different league.. Both the HE-560 and LCD-2 are so so lifelike in the presentation of sound which just obliterates my K702.

I found the LCD-2's vocals to be a lot more up close than the 560 and more comparable to the K702 in that aspect. But the 560 showed a better soundstage and sound separation to my ears which just sounded more right, more "natural".. while keeping the liquid, detailed mids but at a slightly further distance away from in front of me.

I can't wait to be back in Sydney to be able to try them in my system 
L3000.gif

AV One has the HE-560 pre order version and the LCD-3x just got in yesterday. Did you bought the pre order version?

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4,208 of 21,175
+1. These headphones are on a totally new level... I couldn't have possibly comprehended this until I tried them.. So my best advice is try to find a place where you can try on the headphones before buying to make sure they are worth the price for you. I know for me going from my K702 they were well worth it. :wink:

As a current K612 owner, this makes me even more excited :D

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4,209 of 21,175
  I don't think so... The box says HE-560 on it :/

EDIT: The preorder version would be the same as the final production version wouldn't it? :)

they'll both say HE-560 on the box.  The easiest way to tell the difference is the pre-order version has wood cups, the revised version just has a wood veneer strip, links to pictures of each below: 

pre-order version
http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/27/900x900px-LL-2706c61a_Edwood_HifiMan_HE-560_05-Hamster.jpeg

revised (production) version
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/53/900x900px-LL-535372ce_HE560photo1Small.jpeg

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4,210 of 21,175
  they'll both say HE-560 on the box.  The easiest way to tell the difference is the pre-order version has wood cups, the revised version just has a wood veneer strip, links to pictures of each below: 

There is no HE-560 sign on the new box:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/lightbox/post/10658160/id/1135430
  I don't think so... The box says HE-560 on it :/

EDIT: The preorder version would be the same as the final production version wouldn't it? :)

You should ask HiFiMAN if they will allow you to exchange this pair for the new.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4,211 of 21,175

pre-order version
http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/27/900x900px-LL-2706c61a_Edwood_HifiMan_HE-560_05-Hamster.jpeg

revised (production) version
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/53/900x900px-LL-535372ce_HE560photo1Small.jpeg

GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND!!! Yay!! I'm glad to say the ones I tried were the revisions :D Now tomorrow to open the box and make sure the ones I bought are also revisions before leaving Singapore :wink:

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #4,213 of 21,175
Thank you to everyone who provided some perspective of where the sound goes on the 560 from the HP50 (which I now is a basic mid-tier can with a generally well balanced sound). What I would most like to see from a move to the 560 is more articulated bass and separation between the low mids and upper bass frequencies where I feel the HP50 needs some help. A return to open back design will also be nice. My departed D7000 was the wonderful exception in sounding more open than a closed back design had a right to. I am also wondering if there is any reason not to order from head-direct. Would they not be the most likely to have stock or is that not the case as I notice others seem to have ordered elsewhere?

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4,214 of 21,175
Thank you to everyone who provided some perspective of where the sound goes on the 560 from the HP50 (which I now is a basic mid-tier can with a generally well balanced sound). What I would most like to see from a move to the 560 is more articulated bass and separation between the low mids and upper bass frequencies where I feel the HP50 needs some help. A return to open back design will also be nice. My departed D7000 was the wonderful exception in sounding more open than a closed back design had a right to. I am also wondering if there is any reason not to order from head-direct. Would they not be the most likely to have stock or is that not the case as I notice others seem to have ordered elsewhere?

Hifman cans are known for exceptional instrument separation and tight deep bass, along with a very open sound. They sound very coherent overall of course but you pointed out these two things precisely, so...

I'd order from head-direct but because a dealer had the preorder early, I ordered there.
So next time, I'll probably go head-direct as well :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,215 of 21,175
Hifman cans are known for exceptional instrument separation and tight deep bass, along with a very open sound. They sound very coherent overall of course but you pointed out these two things precisely, so...

I'd order from head-direct but because a dealer had the preorder early, I ordered there.
So next time, I'll probably go head-direct as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I suspect I will be ordering my 560 today, just making up my mind about also keeping the HP50, or selling it. I will keep the HP50 for a time to compare directly as I think such a comparison is needed. Like me, I think there are other users out there with a decent performing mid-tier can who wonder if spending double nets you any significant gain in sound quality (different sound signatures aside as much as possible). I will then post a review of my subjective experience here in this thread. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back