= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 2, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,273 of 21,171
 Having heard these, I'm getting super impatient. Not to mention the throbbing top of my head from my 500's. They are my favorite headphone I've owned (see sig), but I cannot take the pain anymore. Once the 560 hits Amazon... the 500's are gone. Anyone else considering the same/similar switch?

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #3,276 of 21,171

I wonder if they may have reworked them to shave off material to eliminate rubbing on the cups?

They have, the Hifiman rep Eric already confirmed it earlier in this thread.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,278 of 21,171

How need a solder pot to tin it so the enamel burns off and the solder penetrates into the wire, 750 F........

You can probably do that with a nice hot soldering iron before soldering it to the final connection point.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #3,279 of 21,171
  I got back from the Newport show late last night.  It was a pleasure to speak with Eric from HiFiMan's NY office on several occasions on Sunday at the show.  I think Fang must have left for home by then.  

The HE-560 on the left is the reddish finish, the middle phone is the lighter, more natural finish, and the one on the right is my pre-order teak, which actually looks darker and less red and more boring in person than shown in the picture.  These pictures were taken without a flash, but with indoor lighting of course.  I preferred the more natural color to the reddish color.  The reddish color makes a bigger impression initially but I think long term I would be happier with the natural, but I could live with either one.  They will pick only one for production however.  That is smart decision for a small company like them.  The new models definitely look like they have wood veneer trim vs solid wood, which is of course is what they are.  Anyone who has the pre-order versions can keep theirs if they prefer not to get the latest version because of looks.  

I compared the new version with my pre-order set using their EF6 amp, and based on that, I want the new version regardless of looks.  Comparing open headphones in a large busy and fairly noisy room makes hearing small differences hard, but I thought the improvement in the new version was fairly significant.  The overall balance remains about the same, but the new version is much more transparent...like veils were lifted.  This was evident across the frequency range.  I asked Eric how much was due to the change in the cable vs the headphone itself, and he said it was mostly due to the added baffling that the new housing allowed them to add that was not possible with the solid teak housing.  He said the cable change, which was to upgrade the purity of the copper conductors (used along with silver) was more of a minor tuning tweak.  I noticed that the new cable seemed to be a little less stiff, even though it seemed slightly thicker in that it filled the pvc cover better.  By the way this new version still had the old pads, although that will be changed for the production version to one with a large opening.

Here is a picture of another pair that used a WyWires balanced cable on a Schiit amp.  

I also briefly discussed with Eric the upcoming electrostatic headphone and amp.  They will start out with a statement product that will be pretty expensive, and then try to trickle down from there with other models eventually.  They will try to make the headphone compatible with Stax amps but that is secondary to getting the best sound.  They are also working on some ear buds that will have really deep bass for a change.  I hope they can pull that off, as I don't care for IEMs myself.

FYI, you can click on the pictures for a bigger view.

Thanks for getting all the headphones in one photo.  Makes it easier to correct colors so they are comparable...  LOL.  I think I prefer the color on the right (or in the middle) on the first photo, it's more neutral in tone and seems better IMO.  The brown in that works extremely well with the rest of the headphone, I actually prefer the color of that to the full-wood ones pictured.  I do want to say that I did do some slight editing on your photo, a quick cool filter to offset the warm overtone from the indoor lighting.  Some increased contrast and lowered brightness was also done.  I think the colors are a little easier to see though :)
 ​

PS: if you do want me to remove the picture, let me know.  Hopefully the colors are accurate to what you saw at the show :p 

_____

Impressions definitely are promising too!  The midrange on the HE-560 were a little smoother than I prefer, but it seems to be what people seem to like as it's easier to listen to.  Happy to read there will be a bit more transparency :)  Can't wait to get the new model and test it for myself :D 

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #3,280 of 21,171
I sold off my LCD2.1 a few months back to get the HE-560 during its pre-order. Although I like its dark tonality, the LCD2 was simply too heavy and uncomfortable for long sessions of listening. Moreover, the soundstage was simply too narrow for my liking too.

I purchased the HE-560 blindly without auditioning. And TBH, this is something I wouldn't have normally done. Although I have tried and owned a few HiFiMan products, I wasn't impressed by all their headphone range. For instances, I didn't like the HE-500 (too warm and lacked timbre; I much preferred the LCD2) and I didn't like the HE-6 (to be fair, I drove it with a less than capable amp). I had owned the HE-5 previously and I loved many things about it - the wood, the airiness and wide soundstage - despite its flaws and shortcomings. I had also listened to the HE-5LE and HE-4 and they were really nice for their price range.

Fast forward to today, I bought the HE-560 for its comfort and sound that was said to be similar to the HE4-HE5-HE6 range. It certainly helps that the weight was shelved and the comfort improved too. Even though I'm still eagerly waiting for my headphones to arrive, I have since managed to audition the HE-560 (the wood version) at a local store. I have 4 words to say: I am not disappointed. 

So that's all I wanted to say. I can't wait for the improved version to arrive!     

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #3,281 of 21,171
I still think the connector should have been angled
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #3,282 of 21,171
  I still think the connector should have been angled
biggrin.gif

I disagree, angling now would put more stress on the cables leading off the connectors. Repositioning the connectors a few degrees forward (which is what is done on HE560 and HE400i) compared to older Hifimans gives it just a small amount of additional angling and spacing from the shoulders so that the cables run off the cups in an unstressed manner and away from the shoulders. You'll know once you see how it works out now.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3,283 of 21,171
  I disagree, angling now would put more stress on the cables leading off the connectors. Repositioning the connectors a few degrees forward (which is what is done on HE560 and HE400i) compared to older Hifimans gives it just a small amount of additional angling and spacing from the shoulders so that the cables run off the cups in an unstressed manner and away from the shoulders. You'll know once you see how it works out now.

I didn't really notice any improvement on my 560 (which I had to send back after one day) over my other 3 Hifiman headphones. I'll get back to you once I get the new model in a few weeks

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #3,284 of 21,171

I didn't really notice any improvement on my 560 (which I had to send back after one day) over my other 3 Hifiman headphones. I'll get back to you once I get the new model in a few weeks

You didn't notice that the connectors are now positioned about 20 degrees forward instead of perpendicular to the ground?

As opposed to 

I mean, it's pretty damn obvious to me lol.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,285 of 21,171
I know I know. I honestly didn't notice that. I opened up the box when I got home at 8PM and in the morning it was in the mail again, didn't even see it when I put the cable on.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back