= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,181 of 21,171
HE-6 is plastic and costs 1299$.
I think a veneer for 899$ is fair, especially since it sounds close to headphones that are more expensive.
Doesn't matter anymore I guess since they couldn't do it for various reasons.

Bottom line, I don't think veneer warrants lowering the price cause SQ is top notch, but it'd be nice ;D

HE-6 is priced by weight........maybe 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #3,182 of 21,171
  I just decided to drive down to the Newport show, and take my pre-order 560's with me.  If anyone wants to meet up with me on Sunday to do a comparison with the new version, send me a PM.

If doing a direct comparison to the new version consider the cable on the new version is different than the preorder pair.  Would be nice to swap cables and listen as well!

May 31, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,183 of 21,171
HE-6 is plastic and costs 1299$.
I think a veneer for 899$ is fair, especially since it sounds close to headphones that are more expensive.
Doesn't matter anymore I guess since they couldn't do it for various reasons.

Bottom line, I don't think veneer warrants lowering the price cause SQ is top notch, but it'd be nice ;D

Indeed it is, but I hope they still offer the wood as an option and I mean full wood, THAT OR I get to save up for a PreProduction unit and hope some one is willing to sell me one 

May 31, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,186 of 21,171
Just got back from the show, and got a chance to listen to the 560.  Compared to the LCD2.2 that I have the 560 seem clearer, probaly due to the higher treble, my LCD still a bit smoother in the midrnage, but that could be due to the amp, I have the WA22 driving the LCD where as the 560 is heard from the EF6.  Overall nice clear sounding with impact on the low end, if HD800 is too bright, and LCD are too dark for you, 560 is just right.  I will definitely get one. 

As far as the veneer goes, I prefer the lighter more natural color instead of the darker less natural cherry/reddish color.  I included a picture of each for your evaluation.  Talking to Dr. Fang, he mentioned that he's debating between those two finishes, and it seem the reaction so far has been 50/50, making it that much harder.  He said that he's targeting Mid June for release, definitely won't be July he said.  So hang in there guy, it's coming.

Photos are below, note white balance is a bit off, so go by my description.

Reddish cherry finish:

More natural finish:

May 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,188 of 21,171
  Just got back from the show, and got a chance to listen to the 560.  Compared to the LCD2.2 that I have the 560 seem clearer, probaly due to the higher treble, my LCD still a bit smoother in the midrnage, but that could be due to the amp, I have the WA22 driving the LCD where as the 560 is heard from the EF6.  Overall nice clear sounding with impact on the low end, if HD800 is too bright, and LCD are too dark for you, 560 is just right.  I will definitely get one. 

As far as the veneer goes, I prefer the lighter more natural color instead of the darker less natural cherry/reddish color.  I included a picture of each for your evaluation.  Talking to Dr. Fang, he mentioned that he's debating between those two finishes, and it seem the reaction so far has been 50/50, making it that much harder.  He said that he's targeting Mid June for release, definitely won't be July he said.  So hang in there guy, it's coming.

Reddish cherry finish:

More natural finish:

That looks good! I like that at least the veneer covers any and all plastic. I might get a pair and forget that there is any plastic under neath it >.> 

May 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3,189 of 21,171

Reddish cherry finish:

More natural finish:

FYI, those photos aren't entirely comparable...  The exposure on both photos is different, the white balance is as well.  The second picture has a warmer tilt to it than the first.  The first picture is more exposed... 

May 31, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,190 of 21,171
  That looks good! I like that at least the veneer covers any and all plastic. I might get a pair and forget that there is any plastic under neath it >.> 

The rims around the grill still have exposed plastic FYI.  It's not a bad look though.  Adds a bit of a hard line to the design, a bit of complexity.  Makes the headphones look more mechanical IMO. 

May 31, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,191 of 21,171

Indeed.  That is one awesome looking headphone.  I personally don't care about the finish/color/veneer stuff.  I have never, not once, listened to a finish.

Then again, I'm a big Grado fan, so I have no problem with a bit of ugly
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3,192 of 21,171

Indeed.  That is one awesome looking headphone.  I personally don't care about the finish/color/veneer stuff.  I have never, not once, listened to a finish.

Then again, I'm a big Grado fan, so I have no problem with a bit of ugly
biggrin.gif

I don't care about looks, but all of my Current headphones are mostly Wood and Metal, including my HE 4 [MODDED] so... I'd like to keep my next open headphone in that relam 

May 31, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3,193 of 21,171
So definitely ebony veneer. The closer to natural wood the look is the better. So without looking at the actual finish I too would prefer the 'more natural finish.' Thanks for the pics ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back