= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,116 of 21,171

Try placing the pads (or rotating them) the way Jerg describes...  This might make them fit a little better. 

Glad you mentioned this. I found my pads were not locked in to the correct position; they were easy to rotate, so I removed them and installed them with the thinner side toward the front and also locked in place. Now they don't rotate. I am assuming this is how they are supposed to be oriented - with the thick side at the rear of the head.

Something else curious - my HE-500 is slightly more sensitive for a given volume setting. I had to turn up the volume on my (very modified) HEED Canamp ever so slightly for the HE-560. I wonder if this is because they need time to break in. They have the same flatness of soundstage dimension and lack of dynamics that my HE-500 had when new. This is all relative since in general the sound is wonderful. I fully expect they will change after the requisite break in period.

And yes, they are comfortable headphones! (If it weren't for my right ear touching the driver I'd be quite happy!)

May 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,117 of 21,171
DHL finally arrived today! I didn't notice the same cosmetic problems that others have mentioned.

When I try to rotate the ear pads, they only move about 30° before coming to a stop. Before I try to force anything, I want to ask if this is normally the case. Do you need to remove the ear pads and then rotate them to the desired position and push them back into position??

I really like what I hear so far!! I do notice some rubbing around the very tops of my over-sized ears. Need to wait and see how much of an issue this becomes. I might/might not get used to it.

May 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,118 of 21,171
  Funnily enough it is my right ear that's causing me trouble too. Both my ears are big [6.6 cm x 3.5 cm] but that's not the issue, they compress well enough in most pads [some sweating at worst with pleather], but a pad's depth is where the trouble is with 90% of my headphones. My right ear protrudes significantly more than my left year [1,5 vs 2 cm] and if that part touch something, it causes irritation... So I need the pads to retain at least that 2 cm after decompression [putting them on], which is not easy... Angled pads help with this a lot in most cases. still the pad must either be just deep enough and not decompress much [HFM pleathers w/ foam rings and old HFM velours] or the more comfy variant - soft but deep enough to retain the required space [AKG K7XX angled pads, Philips X1 velour and hopefully the new HFMs as well]... That part of ear touching any surface = broken long term comfort...

A pic to illustrate the part of the right ear that is most protrusive:

+1 all the way. Exactly where I have this same issue on my right ear. We were separated at birth. I draw the same conclusion regarding long term livability.

Most frustrating experience (waaay back when) was trying to enjoy my Stax SR80 phones. I had to sell them.

May 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,120 of 21,171

Glad you mentioned this. I found my pads were not locked in to the correct position; they were easy to rotate, so I removed them and installed them with the thinner side toward the front and also locked in place. Now they don't rotate. I am assuming this is how they are supposed to be oriented - with the thick side at the rear of the head.

Something else curious - my HE-500 is slightly more sensitive for a given volume setting. I had to turn up the volume on my (very modified) HEED Canamp ever so slightly for the HE-560. I wonder if this is because they need time to break in. They have the same flatness of soundstage dimension and lack of dynamics that my HE-500 had when new. This is all relative since in general the sound is wonderful. I fully expect they will change after the requisite break in period.

And yes, they are comfortable headphones! (If it weren't for my right ear touching the driver I'd be quite happy!)

I've got my thinner side pointing down right now (down and forward slightly actually) which is what Jerg recommended (thinner side between the cheek and jaw).  I do suggest you give it a try, it should help create more space for your ear because it'll conform better to the way your ear is shaped :p 

May 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2,121 of 21,171
  How are you guys getting 560s in the mail? I thought they were still in pre-order? 

I just want to get the new pads for my HE-400 :p 

Some people's pre-orders have gotten out.  Mine is a review pair. 

May 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,122 of 21,171
  DHL finally arrived today! I didn't notice the same cosmetic problems that others have mentioned.

When I try to rotate the ear pads, they only move about 30° before coming to a stop. Before I try to force anything, I want to ask if this is normally the case. Do you need to remove the ear pads and then rotate them to the desired position and push them back into position??

I really like what I hear so far!! I do notice some rubbing around the very tops of my over-sized ears. Need to wait and see how much of an issue this becomes. I might/might not get used to it.

The reason why the earpad doesn't really rotate all the way is probably because one of the mounting ring tabs is jamming into one of the baffle screws. Just take the earpad off and reinstall it with the correct orientation.

Edit: the correct orientation is the same as all other angled pads, in this case the reference point should be in the middle between the cable connectors and the frontal yoke swivel joint, that's where you want the thinnest part of the angled earpad to orientate. Consequently it'll line up with your lower cheek area.

May 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,123 of 21,171

I've got my thinner side pointing down right now (down and forward slightly actually) which is what Jerg recommended (thinner side between the cheek and jaw).  I do suggest you give it a try, it should help create more space for your ear because it'll conform better to the way your ear is shaped :p 

Thanks! I missed this.

May 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,124 of 21,171
Hey Jerg, thanks for the quick feedback!!!

btw - your review was one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on these puppies. So far, your analysis has been spot-on. Aside from a minor pad discomfort, great pair of cans! Hope I can adjust to it...

May 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #2,125 of 21,171

this is normal. what Jerg said above is exactly right. The new ear pads are designed specifically to be slightly higher on one side to fit better on one's ear. The thicker side should be facing the back while the thinner side should be facing front. We changed the plastic ring to stop the ear pads from turning 360 degrees, so people don't have to keep twisting the pads.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,126 of 21,171

this is normal. what Jerg said above is exactly right. The new ear pads are designed specifically to be slightly higher on one side to fit better on one's ear. The thicker side should be facing the back while the thinner side should be facing front. We changed the plastic ring to stop the ear pads from turning 360 degrees, so people don't have to keep twisting the pads.

So, one person is saying the thin part is aiming at your lower jaw (rotated toward the ground slightly) and the manufacturer is saying it needs to aim straight forward, towards your eyes.

The first method allows spinning the pad, the second method locks the pad from spinning.

???

May 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,127 of 21,171
Everyone's head shape is a bit different, having the narrowest part point forward and slightly down is the best fit for my head. For others it might need to rotate a bit more upward or further downward for optimal fit.

May 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2,128 of 21,171

Ah... that's why! Thanks for the info. It's great indeed.

May 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,129 of 21,171

So, one person is saying the thin part is aiming at your lower jaw (rotated toward the ground slightly) and the manufacturer is saying it needs to aim straight forward, towards your eyes.

The first method allows spinning the pad, the second method locks the pad from spinning.

???

The second method is correct [the one that locks it] but the earth won't shatter if you prefer them a different way :]
PS - Please keep me posted about the ears :] Thanks :D

May 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,130 of 21,171

???

tested both ways and I seem to like the thin part forward better. basically rotating the pad down til it stops. my head felt odd in the locked pad position but I didn't really understand why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back