= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,881 of 21,179
  Just got a pair of 560s yesterday.  Been A/Bing them incessantly with my Sennheiser HD-600.  I fancy myself a junior audiophile, but I don't master much of the lingo.  That being said, I think my impressions would seem to be in line with what is known about these two:

- I find them both to be quite neutral headphones, but the HE-560 is a fair bit ahead in terms of bass and treble.  I wouldn't say this makes their sound colored or V-shaped.  It's just I'd never noticed the lack of treble energy in the Senns before because I had little to compare them with.  As well, I'd never noticed how the bass on the Senns is not as precise as the HE-560, it sounds a bit muddled.  You can make out distinct notes much more of the time on the 560, and it was a bit more bass impact as well.  Not that that makes the 560 Beats-sounding or particularly impactful.  It's just that bass on the Sens is okay/good, and on the 560 it's great;

- The mids are great on both, though I've now found out that the Senns are very mid-forward;

- I'm going back and forth on soundstage width, but they're similar enough, maybe a slight nod to the 560;

- For clarity and detail retrieval, the 560 wins hands down.  Upon A/Bing, I do distinctly hear things in most recordings with the HE-560 that I don't when using the HD-600;

- The 560 are fairly harder to drive from my Centrance HiFi-M8.  It drives the HD-600 with relative ease, you can even use the middle gain setting, while the HE-560 clearly require the high gain setting, as well as at least "2 o'clock" volume most of the time, if not 3 or 4 o'clock;

- Comfort-wise, I've found that the HD-600 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, and the HE-560 is only slightly behind;

So 560s better?  Yes.  A planar for HD-600 fans?  For sure.  I'm just not quite sold on them yet due to the, oh, $500 (Cdn) price difference I could get for either on the market...that I'm thinking about it is a testament to the HD-600.  Though the HE-560 is unreservedly better, I just don't find myself wanting a whole lot more when I'm listening to my HD-600...that and the fact that my amp is working at 75-90% capacity most of the time with the HE-560 is giving me pause.  Yes, I could scale up my amp eventually, but that's likely not in the cards for a couple of years... (and no, I can't keep both) :)

Thank you for sharing your impressions.  I'm quite surprised the HiFi-M8 requires a 2-4 o'clock volume position to drive the HE-560.  In anycase, my HE-560 arrive tomorrow and I hope my iFi Micro-iDSD is up to the task.  

By the way, before you make your final decision on which headphone to keep, I've read that HiFiMAN recommends at least 150 hours burn-in on the HE-560.  Those who have at least this number of hours on their HE-560s, correct me if I am misled. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #11,882 of 21,179
  Yep-only Sonic Defender is funny!

Well, looking back to when Wildcatsare1 was on pain killers and posting he was pretty damn funny rambling away. There was some pretty funny stuff coming from his drug addled mind!

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #11,883 of 21,179

Well, looking back to when Wildcatsare1 was on pain killers and posting he was pretty damn funny rambling away. There was some pretty funny stuff coming from his drug addled mind!

True! There is some funny stuff in this thread. Helped me decided to go with the HE-560! The positive reviews about space between instruments, details, etc helped a little too! :)

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #11,884 of 21,179
Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be a busy weekend of going back and forth...the Senns have a bit of an advantage of having a Cardas balanced cable from Charleston Cable Co.  I'll surely get one for the 560s if I keep it, but considering I think you'll get pennies from the dollar reselling a cable (I may be about to find out if I sell my HD-600 with the cable), I'll have to stick to evaluating the 560s with the stock one...

Norne Audio sells a cable adapter, so that could be a slightly cheaper option to use your Charleston cable.

On the other hand, the Senn 6xx scales up well with better amps, so it's definitely worth considering that route.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #11,885 of 21,179

Hahaha, very good, touché:astonished:

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #11,886 of 21,179
  True! There is some funny stuff in this thread. Helped me decided to go with the HE-560! The positive reviews about space between instruments, details, etc helped a little too! :)

Pretty hard not to think the560 is one of the better choices around right now in terms of true sound quality and bang for the dollar. Very accomplished sound to my ears. Detail is presented very well, but the music is united and not simply disassembled into a bunch of stark individual elements. I actually find it hard to try and simply analyze the sound quality as the music is just so immersive and engaging which to me is a hallmark of a great headphone.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #11,887 of 21,179
Pretty hard not to think the560 is one of the better choices around right now in terms of true sound quality and bang for the dollar. Very accomplished sound to my ears. Detail is presented very well, but the music is united and not simply disassembled into a bunch of stark individual elements. I actually find it hard to try and simply analyze the sound quality as the music is just so immersive and engaging which to me is a hallmark of a great headphone.

Can't wait to give them a try with my music collection this weekend. Can you suggest any songs or albums that show off the HE-560s strengths?

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #11,889 of 21,179
I was just listening to The Flaming Lips (all albums before The Soft Bulletin) on shuffle with the HE-560s + Stack o' Schiit (Telefunken ECC88s in the Lyr), and it was awesome.  Songs from In A Priest Driven Ambulance (With Silver Sunshine Stares) had fantastic bass, nice and tight with plenty of impact.  Acoustic stuff sounded sweet, and all the distorted guitars and drums and odd sounds they like to mix in were presented just perfectly.

So yeah, listen to The Flaming Lips,  Careful what you ask for 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #11,890 of 21,179
I was just listening to The Flaming Lips (all albums before The Soft Bulletin) on shuffle with the HE-560s + Stack o' Schiit (Telefunken ECC88s in the Lyr), and it was awesome.  Songs from In A Priest Driven Ambulance (With Silver Sunshine Stares) had fantastic bass, nice and tight with plenty of impact.  Acoustic stuff sounded sweet, and all the distorted guitars and drums and odd sounds they like to mix in were presented just perfectly.

So yeah, listen to The Flaming Lips,  Careful what you ask for :D

Dude, you and I are about to become blood brothers!
"The sun scrapes away the first layers of the day... Nothing is meant, this is a beautiful accident."

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #11,891 of 21,179
Dude, you and I are about to become blood brothers!
"The sun scrapes away the first layers of the day... Nothing is meant, this is a beautiful accident."

Right on 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Though I was a little bummed that song (and not many from that album) came up in the mix.  Still, nature of the beast with that many albums on shuffle.

Hmmmm, wife is reading... back to it!

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #11,892 of 21,179
Right on :)   Though I was a little bummed that song (and not many from that album) came up in the mix.  Still, nature of the beast with that many albums on shuffle.

Hmmmm, wife is reading... back to it!

Wow, mine also. Going to switch from Eternal Tapestry to Flaming Lips "My Own Planet".
Lyr 2 with Philips E188CC Miniwatt 2 star SQ in this week....
Rock. On.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #11,893 of 21,179
Can't wait to give them a try with my music collection this weekend. Can you suggest any songs or albums that show off the HE-560s strengths?

Steely Dan - Negative Girl from Two Against Nature
Phutureprimitive - All of the album Subconscious (lossless downloads from Bandcamp $10 very well spent)
Holy Cole - One Trick Pony from Romantically Helpless
Pearl Jam - Daughter from Vrs
Dead Can Dance - all of album Spiritchaser (seriously must get album)
Thievery Corporation -Is it Over? from Culture of Fear
Dire Straits - Ride Across the River from Brother in Arms
Fleetwood Mac - Big Love from their Greatest Hits
Yo Yo Ma - Distant Green Valley - Silk Road Ensemble (forget full album title)
Tool - Wings For Marie Part 1 and 2 from 10 000 Days
Tears for Fears - Mister Pessimister from Elemental
Chemical Brothers - Close Your Eyes from Push The Button
The Eagles - Hotel California (live) from Hell Freezes Over
Deadmau5 - Alone With You from Random Album Title (serious but good bass and tempo display)

There's a few suggestions

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #11,894 of 21,179
Wow, mine also. Going to switch from Eternal Tapestry to Flaming Lips "My Own Planet".
Lyr 2 with Philips E188CC Miniwatt 2 star SQ in this week....
Rock. On.

"If love was money and it was cheap, everybody could get some sleep"

It's amazing the details the HE-560s bring out.  I must have heard this album 100 times, but never like this.  Beautiful melodic raw madness.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #11,895 of 21,179
Edited away silly post - too much humour isn't funny, especially when it isn't funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back