= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 21, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #11,806 of 21,171
Different strokes, as they say,, I love the sound sig, but, hey,I'm easy, like many different sound sigs. But, that's why there are many other sigs to chose from :)

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #11,807 of 21,171
. Sure. If you like your ice cream with a blanket thrown over it. Go lcd.

I'm fortunate enough to enjoy both 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #11,808 of 21,171
. Sure. If you like your ice cream with a blanket thrown over it. Go lcd.

That kind of description would be something I would use for the hd 650s, and even then its sound is enjoyable in its own right. 

The he 560s on the other hand while not emphasized significantly anywhere, is also not veiled in the slightest. It sits happily between veiled and aggressive sound.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #11,810 of 21,171
A
That kind of description would be something I would use for the hd 650s, and even then its sound is enjoyable in its own right. 

The he 560s on the other hand while not emphasized significantly anywhere, is also not veiled in the slightest. It sits happily between veiled and aggressive sound.
I agree

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #11,812 of 21,171
and think of those sticky ears!!!!! :)

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #11,813 of 21,171
and think of those sticky ears!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

why are you guys putting the ice cream on your headphones?!??! everyone knows that you are supposed to apply it to your cables!!! it's really just a diy way to get cyrogenically-treated cables that definitely makes the sound oh so much sweeter. i've found that vanilla works the best, but cookies & cream is just as good. I would stay away from mint chocolate chip though, found it made the sound too crispy & minty.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #11,815 of 21,171
But, can't the ice cream make them alittle "cold" sounding, but also "sweet" and "creamy" at the same time? :p
Lol.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #11,816 of 21,171
I think the HE-560 biggest "issue", per se, is the lack of textures/fine details extraction that some higher-end headphones can happily dish out. That's really what sets it apart from the top-end crowd.

And I'm almost inclined to think that this "lack" is intentional so as to help the HE-560 sound smooth and silky. It is certainly less peaky and aggressive than the HE-6 this way. Hence... I'd describe the HE-560 as a cleaner, better HD600. Its tonal balance is just right, and the way it sounds is also just right. If I have to nitpick, stock HE-560 can lack a bit of extra "air" and "clarity" on top, making it a bit too intimate/warm. That and low bass can do with a bit more "force".

(trying hard not to make comparisons to the modded LCD-2, since I know that's unfair)

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #11,817 of 21,171
I think the 560 straddles the divide between too much detail and just right very well. I don't know that much of the library of recorded music could bear deeper scrutiny. It is hard enough to listen now and hear the warts and blemishes so perceptible, I don't think I would enjoy music with much more detail. How much is enough, and when is it too much?

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #11,818 of 21,171
It's all up to your tastes I guess. Some people prefer overly detailed sound while others prefer it to be more forgiving. IMO the 560s is more than detailed enough, i could probably squeeze a bit more with a better amp and dac.

If I have to nitpick, stock HE-560 can lack a bit of extra "air" and "clarity" on top, making it a bit too intimate/warm. That and low bass can do with a bit more "force".

(trying hard not to make comparisons to the modded LCD-2, since I know that's unfair)

Does your modded 560s fix those issues? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #11,819 of 21,171
  I think the HE-560 biggest "issue", per se, is the lack of textures/fine details extraction that some higher-end headphones can happily dish out. That's really what sets it apart from the top-end crowd.

And I'm almost inclined to think that this "lack" is intentional so as to help the HE-560 sound smooth and silky. It is certainly less peaky and aggressive than the HE-6 this way. Hence... I'd describe the HE-560 as a cleaner, better HD600. Its tonal balance is just right, and the way it sounds is also just right. If I have to nitpick, stock HE-560 can lack a bit of extra "air" and "clarity" on top, making it a bit too intimate/warm. That and low bass can do with a bit more "force".

Beg to differ. To my ears HE560s have plenty of texture in its detail, yet isn't the smoothest compared to say HD800. Quite a few people have noted some treble abrasiveness with stock HE560s, and I've experienced it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back