= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #11,401 of 21,179
I'm so anxious to try out my Geek Pulse Xfi with the HE-560 and compare it to my Titanium HD and O2 amp. Also curious to finally hear my RE-272 iem on a balanced amp and dac.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #11,403 of 21,179
  Luckily I was able to pick them up today. I forgot how much the cable sucked in terms of function. The first thing I will be doing is buying a better cable. At this price it should come with a nicer cable like what the HE-6 came with. This is a similar cable to the one the HE-300 or HE-400 came with. I can't remember which one but both of them are very low in their range of headphones. The comfort on the other hand is by far the best I've had in a Hifiman headphone.

Which store in NYC carries Hifiman?

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #11,407 of 21,179

Yup..

I also like to add power = enhanced dynamics at lower volume levels.  Or the ability to produce very clear micro dynamics = subtle details in low passages or the ability to resolve small voltage swings.  

And being able to stay clear / clean when the volume is turned way up and not distorting or beginning to sound muddied = I guess you can call this macro dynamics.

Power does not = how loud an amp can get. 

Power certainly does not determine resolution or micro dynamics... maybe how fast it is ..slew rate may give a clue, but power, up to the point clipping peaks, will not change that in and of itself..
Historically in the Stereo arena some of the highest rated amps for resolution...detail (micro Dynamics in headfi speak) have been 30 or 40 watt rated.

The 560 will produce ear damaging levels at about half a watt. Sane people who want to continue to hear well would not even run them at an average level of half that. In theory a one watt amp with 2 to 3 DB of headroom should work just fine.

Too bad none of the manufacturers publish the kind of data that would allow us to tell anything but MAX power and distortion levels about them.

Of course the proof is in the listening, If you are hearing distortion or that typical sound compression caused by an amp running out of power. Get something with more juice!
 I just think that after you have figured out the minimum power that you require for an application, you should look at lots of others things before you worry about that power spec again.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #11,408 of 21,179
  Power certainly does not determine resolution or micro dynamics... maybe how fast it is ..slew rate may give a clue, but power, up to the point clipping peaks, will not change that in and of itself..
Historically in the Stereo arena some of the highest rated amps for resolution...detail (micro Dynamics in headfi speak) have been 30 or 40 watt rated.

The 560 will produce ear damaging levels at about half a watt. Sane people who want to continue to hear well would not even run them at an average level of half that. In theory a one watt amp with 2 to 3 DB of headroom should work just fine.

Too bad none of the manufacturers publish the kind of data that would allow us to tell anything but MAX power and distortion levels about them.

Of course the proof is in the listening, If you are hearing distortion or that typical sound compression caused by an amp running out of power. Get something with more juice!  I just think that after you have figured out the minimum power that you require for an application, you should look at lots of others things before you worry about that power spec again.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous & borderline unethical that most manufacturers do not have a full set of specs on their amplifiers!!! Imagine buying a car without knowing the horsepower or fuel economy. One of the reasons that this hobby is so full of snake oil & subjective speculation.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #11,409 of 21,179

Another thing to consider when you read that a trusted person claims that the 560 "needs" 4 watts... to sound good..
Did the person say that because the 4 watt amp that they used happened to just be a better amp than the lower powered ones? Did they say it because the amp had better "synergy" than the others?

Saying something just because you read it somewhere and are convinced based on the source... well it can be misleading... if not completely inaccurate.

Just my thoughts on the power issue..
Now wouldn't it be nice if someone out there actually did supply meaningful specs...and maybe square wave response graphs  for headphone amps...

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #11,411 of 21,179
Amplifier's gain and dource output voltage plays a major role too.
The lower the two, the more you'll have to crank your amp up, regardless of power :D

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #11,412 of 21,179
I think it is absolutely ridiculous & borderline unethical that most manufacturers do not have a full set of specs on their amplifiers!!! Imagine buying a car without knowing the horsepower or fuel economy. One of the reasons that this hobby is so full of snake oil & subjective speculation.

+1 Well said sir, this hobby has too much snake oil which fuels subjective speculation. I wish all the manufacturers gave out a full set of specs on a given product, that way I could be educated consumer, who would be less likely ran over by a hype train express, shuttling the "emperor's clothes" about the Audophilia realm. Just give me the pertinent facts and I will decide if the product will fulfills the functions, I need it too.

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #11,414 of 21,179

Another thing to consider when you read that a trusted person claims that the 560 "needs" 4 watts... to sound good..
Did the person say that because the 4 watt amp that they used happened to just be a better amp than the lower powered ones? Did they say it because the amp had better "synergy" than the others?

Saying something just because you read it somewhere and are convinced based on the source... well it can be misleading... if not completely inaccurate.

Just my thoughts on the power issue..
Now wouldn't it be nice if someone out there actually did supply meaningful specs...and maybe square wave response graphs  for headphone amps...

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure many might supply the information if we asked them. I'm guessing the lack of information might not be deliberate in most cases. Frankly I'm sure most consumers with the exception of advanced hobbyists really wouldn't know how to interpret the information anyway so the value of that information is limited in many respects. Still, I get it, and yes in general more information is always better. And your other points are valid as well, but I still feel that most experienced posters do a good job trying to reduce hype and disclose as much information about their subjective impressions as they can. It is hard discussing the subjective, and I very much respect those who work hard and try to do it well.  

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #11,415 of 21,179
I don't think their warranty comes from China. My replacement went to IL and came back from there as well. 

Additionally, does anyone else find the treble a bit glaring on certain material? I was pairing it with the RX MK3B amp and found the treble a bit harsh, but the amp simply may not be a good match. I also found the Burson Soloist and Matrix Xsabre to not cooperate well with the 560s either, so I opted to sell the matrix and ordered an HA1, hopefully that will aid the 560s in sounding their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back