= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #8,207 of 21,174
As promised, I've now gone back to the stock grilles.
I am afraid the difference is really small... In some ways, the headphone sound more raw, in others a bit smoother [!] but definitely more aggressive[though not necessarily harsher]... Certainly less effortless sound, a bit more dynamic if you will.
All in all, I think I am gonna keep the stock grilles on for now. I think I prefer them to open grilles... The difference do is small, regardless of my preference.

The most notable difference lies in imaging but it is not drastic.

Opinion subject to possible change 
biggrin.gif
 This is the current state,

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #8,208 of 21,174
I am wondering if the double layer of cloth mesh over the driver (one on top the driver and one from the earpad) is the cause of high frequency rolloff.  Previous Hifimans only had the mesh fabric as part of the earpad if I'm not mistaken.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #8,209 of 21,174
  I am wondering if the double layer of cloth mesh over the driver (one on top the driver and one from the earpad) is the cause of high frequency rolloff.  Previous Hifimans only had the mesh fabric as part of the earpad if I'm not mistaken.

Could well be, since people who've removed it have reported they're more revealing afterwards... something along those lines.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #8,210 of 21,174
If talking extension alone,
I've run a few sweeps and the 560 extends up to 17 - 18khz [my hearing limit probably ends there] without any significant roll-off and so does the 400i with slightly less energy?

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #8,211 of 21,174
I've also just listened to the 560/400i out of a puny Sansa Clip+ and I am quite surprised just how well both performed [especially the 560]!
Sure the dynamics are a bit less, balance and evenness is a bit off and the top finesse was lost, but the things I was expecting - a complete lack of bass, blended instruments and soundstage collapse certainly did not happen...
I'd say both sounded at about 70% of perfectly driven out of my expensive rig... That's acceptable in a home environment and absolutely sufficient for listening on the go...
Shame they're big, bulky and open... I'd take them for a ride 
biggrin.gif

I've tried similar practices with the HE-6 and the results were nowhere near this flattering. These certainly prove to be that much more easier to drive [though they'll east that power if you feed them
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #8,212 of 21,174

I`d like to blindfold all these people in a comparison test and see what differences are then readily apparent and real. Sometimes your mind ``creates`` differences because you are expecting one, after going through the trouble of making an adjustment.

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #8,213 of 21,174

I`d like to blindfold all these people in a comparison test and see what differences are then readily apparent and real. Sometimes your mind ``creates`` differences because you are expecting one, after going through the trouble of making an adjustment.

Ducks and runs for cover ......
deadhorse.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #8,214 of 21,174
Kinda hard to blindfold on headphones, much easier with speaker as would be interesting.
If you don't have any experience in listening to different cans then maybe, but if you have listen to flagships and former,
I think one could easily tell dynamic bass from planar bass, plus you just remember the comfort and that way should be pretty easy guessing what headphone you are listening to, unless only switches from same brand :wink:

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #8,215 of 21,174
Kinda hard to blindfold on headphones, much easier with speaker as would be interesting.
If you don't have any experience in listening to different cans then maybe, but if you have listen to flagships and former,
I think one could easily tell dynamic bass from planar bass, plus you just remember the comfort and that way should be pretty easy guessing what headphone you are listening to, unless only switches from same brand
wink.gif

I think it was meant just in terms of minor mods for certain headphones not for different headphones in general.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #8,216 of 21,174

Many folks say there's no difference between lossy and lossless. 

I encourage everyone to take a bunch of your HQ music files downconvert to MP3, throw all into a playlist, set it on shuffle, and see if you can tell the difference by the time the song is over. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #8,217 of 21,174
Many folks say there's no difference between lossy and lossless. 

I encourage everyone to take a bunch of your HQ music files downconvert to MP3, throw all into a playlist, set it on shuffle, and see if you can tell the difference by the time the song is over. 

We will be doing something like this at the Nashville Meet this weekend, FLAC/MP3's, waiting for the music list.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #8,218 of 21,174
We will be doing something like this at the Nashville Meet this weekend, FLAC/MP3's, waiting for the music list.

Good deal. I personally discovered two things play a big part: the monumental one is if I'm familiar with the song or not, the second is environment but it's always a factor when listening. It's much harder for me to tell on new music. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #8,219 of 21,174
Good deal. I personally discovered two things play a big part: the monumental one is if I'm familiar with the song or not, the second is environment but it's always a factor when listening. It's much harder for me to tell on new music. 

Agreed, it has too be music I am familiar with and in quieter surroundings than a typical meet, though my Alpha Dogs may be the HP we use.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #8,220 of 21,174
Foobar has an ABX plugin you guys might like to use.

I certainly can't tell the difference, but it might be different on a hp that has highs like the HE-560. Even then, I'd imagine it's pretty minor and only obvious if you really listen for it and know which sections it is more obvious in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back