= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 9, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #8,056 of 21,171

I'm working on it.  Think "mood ring," only a strip that changes swirly patterns depending on the music being played... 
eek.gif

challenge accepted 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #8,057 of 21,171
  challenge accepted 
evil_smiley.gif

OK, if you come up with it, just drop my name 
wink.gif

and then we can have some comparisons of the swirl factor when it's applied to various HFM cans.  I wanna see some swirly graphs!

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #8,058 of 21,171
  Did somebody say grill mod???  
biggrin.gif

Looks better in person, but you get the idea.  Sounds fandamntasic, but no change from the previous hex grill mod.

Holy...you really did it this time!

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #8,061 of 21,171
Nice!!! Ok spill the beans, what size do I need? I may be able salvage some old ones...laying around

I think he ordered the 80mm, you can find a wide assortment on EBay...you may want to PM Thurston to confirm.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #8,062 of 21,171

Holy...you really did it this time!

Oh yeah.  No big deal really, just some imagination, a few bucks and patience.

Nice!!! Ok spill the beans, what size do I need? I may be able salvage some old ones...laying around

Turns out the 80mm grills work very well, IF you're willing to hack off the mounting nubs, then file them down carefully.  Too much filing and they'll fall right in, or require some carpet tape or something suitably sticky, yet impermanent, to keep them in place.  File, test, file, test, etc., until you get 'em just right.  Mine slot right in.  The only other things to consider are their delicate nature (I've already reordered to make perfect pairs, due to snapping the acrylic here and there), and the fact that extra care must be taken if you wish to preserve the stock high gloss (fingerprint magnet) finish.  If you're planning to spray paint them, sand them with medium paper, then finish with something finer.  They'll turn grey, and you want them to be relatively smooth.  The flat black I used took perfectly with two coats about 15 minutes apart.

HTH.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #8,063 of 21,171
Just recieved my HE560 from razordogaudio.
A bit disappointed that there is some scratches on the plastic protecting the metal and slight scratches still visible after removing the plastic.
The wood on the headphone cup is not perfect, can see some slight "lines" and mark here and there upon close inspection. ( is this normal ?)

So I sold my HD700 at a loss of 200SGD for these,
First impression after 10mins of listening,
The sound is much much better than the HD700!
Gone are the bad treble peaks that makes listening unbearable sometimes.
HE560 is more detailed, more engaging, more emotional ( perhaps due to the smaller soundstage ), I no longer feel distant from the music.
Vocals are a lot better too.
HD700 is renowned for their comfort, HE560 is almost as comfortable too :)

Happy so far, just wished that cosmetics are perfect though! 

Using Wa7/Tp ---> HE560 btw

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8,064 of 21,171
The build imperfections are a common thing but as I said multiple times, with HiFiMAN you pay for the sound more than anything. Coupled with a reasonable pricing model [for now] I think it is a small sacrifice. The build quality is also bound to improve overtime as well, as slight build quality and QC issues are ironed. HFM is still a new company so they have a lot ahead of them - as per say, 'innovating the art of sound'.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #8,065 of 21,171
  The build imperfections are a common thing but as I said multiple times, with HiFiMAN you pay for the sound more than anything. Coupled with a reasonable pricing model [for now] I think it is a small sacrifice. The build quality is also bound to improve overtime as well, as slight build quality and QC issues are ironed. HFM is still a new company so they have a lot ahead of them - as per say, 'innovating the art of sound'.

Small sacrifice for some, inexcusable sacrifice for some others. A lot of people see complaints about build quality in reviews and go "nope" right away. I do think that if Hifiman wants to be a magnitude more successful in this industry, they need to jack up build quality tolerances a heck of a lot more.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #8,066 of 21,171
i just got my lyr 2 amp to pair with the he-560 and it is pretty interesting.

not sure if it's the tubes or the extra power, but yea, seems pretty different than from my bravo v3. the bass presence is a lot more there. treble & mids do seem a bit different. just started listening so hard to say right now. but for sure, if you feel like you are missing bass with the he-560, I think the extra juice or maybe different tubes really brings it out. definitely don't feel like they lack any bass for my preferences with this set-up. will need to do some abx direct comparisons & comparisons w/ my he-400, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing :)

yay! :):) finalllyyyyyy

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #8,068 of 21,171
hey how long do you think it takes for the stock tubes to settle down? slash will there be any changes in sound quality for the tubes over time?

noticed a few things with the sound that was a bit unfortunate. will give it more time before i judge too harshly though.

edit: and also which gain setting is recommended for the he-560??? low or high :S hahaah

man it's soooo fun to get a new toy to play withhh heh!

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #8,070 of 21,171
  Small sacrifice for some, inexcusable sacrifice for some others. A lot of people see complaints about build quality in reviews and go "nope" right away. I do think that if Hifiman wants to be a magnitude more successful in this industry, they need to jack up build quality tolerances a heck of a lot more.

No arguments here. I will say that I wouldn't want to see any cuts to the sound quality in favour of better fit and finish at the same retail pricing. I still feel better paying more for sound quality with some skimping on looks if necessary to achieve this. For instance, give me a cheap ass Grado box, I don't care. Much rather know a few extra dollars went into the sonics than on appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back