= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #7,786 of 21,175
Love that album. Okay, if you don't already have it, run don't walk, and get Two Against Nature by Steely Dan. Trust me, there are very few albums that I have ever experienced that combine incredible quality of recording/mastering with equally incredible music. It is easily a reference album for me as. Start off with the song Negative Girl, you'll be hooked. And thanks, I feel bad when I don't do a good job qualifying what I mean so I like to get things cleared up quickly and in a way that doesn't lead to a pissing match. Not that an ex linebacker like you ever got into a pissing match right brother?:wink_face:

I do attempt to be diplomatic, but yes my Linebacker temper does come into play on occasion :triumph:, however; I realize that even at my age, I have a lot to learn. One of the reasons I love Head Fi, overall it's a fairly egalitarian place, comprised of those who enjoy great music reproduction.

I have "Two Against Nature" on vinyl, need to spin it again tonight!

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #7,787 of 21,175
Trust me... it does as much as replacing the grills with good breathing grills, such as the ones Matt Poe made for me. Removing the pads' cloth curtain really opens up the sound and you hear everything this headphone has to offer... which is quite a lot!

Hey, if you don't like it, you can buy new pads cheap. But, I can't imagine anyone not liking the result. But... there's some who don't like peanut butter / jelly sandwiches. But, try both... you might like 'em!

I don't have to trust you... :)My he560s were sent with one Focus pad and one Focus-A pad. I was sent a set of the Focus pads as replacements and I bought the FocusAs. So... Having an extra pad of each I cut the fabric out of the FocusA pad and replaced one side on the phones. Then I tried the other side just to compare.
It's a significant difference!!! It even sounds like a boost in volume and you get a completely different sound sig out of the two sides.
I am thinking that this might be the perfect pad. Leading edge of notes are crisper, depth is better, ... Well basically everything is clearer and hence more lifelike.

When I get home I am going to cut out the fabric on the other ear.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7,788 of 21,175

You'll notice that I said " There are times where you will read that member x just ...." The key thing to notice is the wording there are times, meaning not all of the time. Regardless, I would still say that in the context of the situation I was discussing if you go to a profile and it says nothing about the members experience, if you are trying to make an educated decision about what gear to buy, best to treat a blank profile as meaning little experience. That is just common sense to evaluate opinions based on as much information as you can gather; and most certainly experience with gear counts for quite a bit. Again, I am speaking very specifically about making a buying decision based on the opinions of somebody else, at least partially. Would you really like to make a decision to buy something or avoid something based on the opinion of somebody who had very little experience from which to have a frame of reference? I know I wouldn't.

I think you over extrapolated with what I was saying and took it to mean that in my view only experienced members opinions count and therefore only experienced members should express their views. Not at all what I meant. I was deliberately using that example as it does happen from time-to-time and should be consider. Now when I first started here on head-fi, my experience with headphones really wasting particularly extensive, and as such I would not at all be offended if people took what I had to say into account, but went to more experienced users for the real scoop. Nothing wrong with that, and that is what I am suggesting everybody on this site should do. Listen to everybody by all means, even somebody who is very new to the hobby can have an excellent ear and be equally as adept at expressing what they hear to others. However; you really can't know that as easily so you should still really get as much information from the most experienced sources, and then look for a consensus opinion. I think that does not amount to ignoring seemingly less experienced members opinions, I think it is about weighting the opinions based on the best evidence at hand that you have about how reliable that information likely is. Like it or not, experience counts. I know if I'm under the knife of a surgical resident I am just that much less confident than if it is the surgical instructor with 12 years experience slicing into me. Just sayin.

Just noticed that you said no need to bristle, brother, I'm married, I can assure you some discussion on head-fi won't get me bristling, my skin is a little thicker than that. Anyway, cheers brother.

I will not argue.. hopefully point made... and point taken!
:)

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #7,789 of 21,175

But, having the Lyr 2 with the right tubes in my system with the Oppo 105, it really adds to the dynamics.

I drove my ex-HE500's with the Schiit Vali with excellent results. But, I don't have the Vali now, so I can't tell you first hand how it drives the 560... but, I bet it does a pretty good job.

I've had the Vali and Lyr 2 (Ediswan and Philips Miniwatt) tubes side by side with HE-560 for about a week now,
and the Vali is indeed "good" with HE-560 but not remarkable.

the liveliness, clarity, bass and soundstage all took a major leap when connecting HE-560 to the Lyr 2.
so glad with the move back to this amp family (had Lyr 1 before) and not looking back or forward for anything to replace the Lyr 2 now.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #7,790 of 21,175
I do attempt to be diplomatic, but yes my Linebacker temper does come into play on occasion :triumph:, however; I realize that even at my age, I have a lot to learn. One of the reasons I love Head Fi, overall it's a fairly egalitarian place, comprised of those who enjoy great music reproduction.

I have "Two Against Nature" on vinyl, need to spin it again tonight!

Yes you do need to spin it up. Enjoy.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #7,791 of 21,175

I will not argue.. hopefully point made... and point taken!
:)

Sure hope we're not arguing, you've certainly not done anything wrong or that upset me, and absolutely point taken. Cheers.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #7,792 of 21,175

I do try to characterize headphones relative to neutral (not that I or anyone else really knows what that means yet), so when I say bright, I mean bright relative to neutral and not relative to my preferences. Bias is no doubt likely to slip in there, however. 

@ Tyll

You think this might tone down over time like the AKG 701?

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #7,793 of 21,175
Wow... just cut out the other fabric liner of the Focus A pad..  amazing!!!  More precise imaging, like crazy precise.. Although I find planars to be a kind of in the head sound, I had that weird disconnect where with my eyes open, the sense of acoustic space seemed to be at odds with my visual sense of space.  It's the Tardis effect where the space in the head is much bigger than my head and that can get weird when spatial cues from the ears have the other senses trying to verify them and failing..
If that makes any sense..  
tongue.gif
  My ears told me I was in a gigantic hall but I was in my small little den...  best to keep the eyes closed.
I haven't heard that so convincingly since the Stax SR007mk1/SRM717... and I'm not sure that these aren't even a little better in some ways.  That for me is saying A LOT!

These are the magic pads!  Everything is clearer..  I even turned the volume down a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #7,794 of 21,175
  @ Tyll

Mine did as I used them.  Not sure what exactly was going on, possibly the pads sealing better with time (expected) or maybe some driver change (probably a mix).  

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #7,795 of 21,175

I do try to characterize headphones relative to neutral (not that I or anyone else really knows what that means yet), so when I say bright, I mean bright relative to neutral and not relative to my preferences. Bias is no doubt likely to slip in there, however. 

@ Tyll

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the conclusions of the break-in tests were not decisive. If I recall correctly, any changes were less than 1 dB apart, which is trivial.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #7,796 of 21,175
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the conclusions of the break-in tests were not decisive. If I recall correctly, any changes were less than 1 dB apart, which is trivial.

They may seem trivial, but sometimes it's not as trivial as it suggests, a small change in sound can make or break a headphone for some people. I believe human hearing is more sensitive than people realize. Then there can be other changes from burn-in that can affect the actual sound in different ways that isn't really measured.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #7,797 of 21,175
Wow... just cut out the other fabric liner of the Focus A pad..  amazing!!!  More precise imaging, like crazy precise.. Although I find planars to be a kind of in the head sound, I had that weird disconnect where with my eyes open, the sense of acoustic space seemed to be at odds with my visual sense of space.  It's the Tardis effect where the space in the head is much bigger than my head and that can get weird when spatial cues from the ears have the other senses trying to verify them and failing..
If that makes any sense..  :p   My ears told me I was in a gigantic hall but I was in my small little den...  best to keep the eyes closed.
I haven't heard that so convincingly since the Stax SR007mk1/SRM717... and I'm not sure that these aren't even a little better in some ways.  That for me is saying A LOT!

These are the magic pads!  Everything is clearer..  I even turned the volume down a little.:)  

You wouldn't be willing to try the same with Focus pads, would you?:D
I'd appreciate it!

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #7,798 of 21,175
Possibly...  I find the Focus pads a little on the brighter side of neutral as it is so I wonder if it wouldn't exaggerate that...   

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,800 of 21,175

They varied anywhere from 1 dB to 5 dB differences throughout the spectrum.  Generally around 1-3 though.  It was called not decisive because one measurement plot didn't match up with the general "pattern" that Tyll saw.  Personally speaking, yes, it's true, one measurement showed the sound going in the opposite direction, but everything else showed the measurements converging towards a single curve (over time).  That one measurement also didn't come close to reaching the original 0-hour plot.  Again, the data is there, the analysis is somewhat subjective.  

Note that 1 dB may seem trivial, but it can be audible if in the right frequency ranges.  Remember, the width/span of the change plays just as an important role as the intensity.  You have have a very intense (say 10 dB) spike that ranges over 1-2 Hz and it'll make little to not difference in contrast to an average 1 dB change over the entire frequency range.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back