= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #4,846 of 21,179
There is a remarkable shift towards more treble extension and less sub bass. I know, strange right. I should have the 560 this afternoon for auditioning. 

Eww... I know I'd definitely prefer the pre-fazor then.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #4,848 of 21,179
Even the Latest LCD2.2 I heard prior to the Fazor change had less overall bass than my HE-400.  Now I know Audeze has consistency issues and my white-driver'd HE-400 might be overall slightly warmer than later iterations, but take that as it is.

The LCD-X and HE-400 is a bit closer, with both having roughly the same amount of bass, but HE-400 has a little bit more of a suckout in the upper midrange to bring its bass slightly more forward compared to the LCD-X.

Seems as though Audeze makes their LCD-2/3 more trebly and less bassy with each new iteration, while the LCD-X is their new bassy and u-shaped headphone.  Tyll mentions this in his article as well, saying the LCD-X has harder hitting bass down low.

In short HE-400 is the bassiest planar magnetic I've listened to, and if you're expecting some other planar magnetic to give as much or more bass than it then you'll probably be disappointed (unless it's an earlier LCD2 I guess.)

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #4,849 of 21,179
The HE400 was close, but my LCD2 was definitely the bassiest planar I had. Enough for me to not miss the D7000.

I wish the 400i had the 400's bass, but I expect a little less.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #4,850 of 21,179
There's been sooo many contradictions regarding the 560s...
Soft vs neutral vs hard hitting bass
Recessed vs neutral vs bright mids
Smooth vs extended vs edgy highs
Geez, just shows how subjective this all is :D

And tomorrow I'll find out :wink:

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4,852 of 21,179
It also goes to show how everyones perception of thing like "hard hitting bass" "bright highs" are. Most importantly it usually manifests when comparing the sound you have grown accustomed to. If I exclusively listen to the Signature DJ for months and go over to a T1 then it will sound light/bassless, airy and overly bright. I could then grow used to the T1 within dozens of hours and the DJ will sound bloated/sucked out and the process can loop from listening to the DJ long enough. I always take every statement about the sound signature of a phone with a massive grain of salt - unless a person has extensively listened to it and grown properly    accustomed to it, as impressions often vary wildly.

Quote:
  Even the Latest LCD2.2 I heard prior to the Fazor change had less overall bass than my HE-400.  Now I know Audeze has consistency issues and my white-driver'd HE-400 might be overall slightly warmer than later iterations, but take that as it is.

The LCD-X and HE-400 is a bit closer, with both having roughly the same amount of bass, but HE-400 has a little bit more of a suckout in the upper midrange to bring its bass slightly more forward compared to the LCD-X.

Seems as though Audeze makes their LCD-2/3 more trebly and less bassy with each new iteration, while the LCD-X is their new bassy and u-shaped headphone.  Tyll mentions this in his article as well, saying the LCD-X has harder hitting bass down low.

In short HE-400 is the bassiest planar magnetic I've listened to, and if you're expecting some other planar magnetic to give as much or more bass than it then you'll probably be disappointed (unless it's an earlier LCD2 I guess.)

The ZMF x Vibro has ports, which fully opened may hit hard/have more bass than HE400 and LCD2

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #4,853 of 21,179
YeP, a good example of this is that I equalized my Momentum to reduce bass and increase the treble. The more time passes, the more I fall the effect of equalization because I am used to the sound signature.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4,854 of 21,179
Mine will be in in a couple days.... Yes, burn in for a planar is real. Associated gear has much ado about revealing a components potential. If I don't like? It goes back....

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #4,855 of 21,179
There's been sooo many contradictions regarding the 560s...
Soft vs neutral vs hard hitting bass
Recessed vs neutral vs bright mids
Smooth vs extended vs edgy highs
Geez, just shows how subjective this all is
biggrin.gif

And tomorrow I'll find out
wink.gif

I say this is perfectly normal. Everyone's hearing and preference is different. It would be very strange if EVERY person's opinion is exactly the same. 

This also shows that HE-560 is a very balanced headphone. If its sound signature is heavily towards one end, then most of people would come to the same conclusion more or less. For example most of people would agree that HD800 (been driven in normal condition) is a relatively bright and bass shy headphone.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4,856 of 21,179
  Mine will be in in a couple days.... Yes, burn in for a planar is real. Associated gear has much ado about revealing a components potential. If I don't like? It goes back....

Yes, burn in for planar is a must. Every HE-560 driver gets a solid burn-in our factory before being assembled, but we do recommend our customer to allow HE-560 a burn-in period for no less than 100 hours once they receive it.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #4,857 of 21,179
  Yayyy. I'm not the only one here that was thinking that. Now to hear it from someone who actually has the 560, all the more reason for me to get the 400i, as the quote below shows the HE-6 being superior. I was thinking "end-game" with the 560, but if the HE-6 is better (although with more expensive amping) I'd definitely rather hold out.
Woo that EF6 is expensive. Certainly solidifies the HE-6 being their flagship. A lot of sense as in less expensive amping to make it to it's fullest potential coupled with the comfort?

We have a well abused HE-560 in the lab which we listen everyday. The bass is simply fantastic. I think if you give HE-560 a bit more burn-in, the bass will improve significantly. Also as ppl has said before a good headphone amp would also improve the bass response dramatically.  

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #4,858 of 21,179

Yayyy. I'm not the only one here that was thinking that. Now to hear it from someone who actually has the 560, all the more reason for me to get the 400i, as the quote below shows the HE-6 being superior. I was thinking "end-game" with the 560, but if the HE-6 is better (although with more expensive amping) I'd definitely rather hold out.
Woo that EF6 is expensive. Certainly solidifies the HE-6 being their flagship. A lot of sense as in less expensive amping to make it to it's fullest potential coupled with the comfort?

We have a well abused HE-560 in the lab which we listen everyday. The bass is simply fantastic. I think if you give HE-560 a bit more burn-in, the bass will improve significantly. Also as ppl has said before a good headphone amp would also improve the bass response dramatically.  

I have over 250 hours on my HE-560, and I can definitely say that things improve.  Not just the bass, but total sound...and I did not believe in burn in!!  They just seem to settle in, and I have listened to other headphones for a period of time and then come back to the HE-560, and I still feel they have improved!

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #4,859 of 21,179

I have over 250 hours on my HE-560, and I can definitely say that things improve.  Not just the bass, but total sound...and I did not believe in burn in!!  They just seem to settle in, and I have listened to other headphones for a period of time and then come back to the HE-560, and I still feel they have improved!

It's interesting how no one ever talks about burn-in negatively... All the changes that ever happened to anyone in relation to so called burn-in were strictly or even dramatically positive.

I have owned quite a lot of headphones across different driver technologies and price tags... and I have yet to hear any significant changes due to burn-in. I have heard some small hints of it with one or two particular headphones but no - no huge improvements (or degradations) in performance. I can hear differences across various equipment (not only headphones)... But almost no AUDIBLE burn-in detected on my side.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #4,860 of 21,179

This may seem redundant but what is HiFiMan's stance of which headphone ear pads have bigger and better bass? Or more generally, what is HiFiMan's stance as to why they changed the ear pads in the production version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back