= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 29, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #436 of 21,179
I suppose once you start modding stuff, it's hard to stop as long as something can be improved. How much of an improvement a certain mod provides to one, is obviously up in the air.
Props to those people then. I won't probably ever mod anything but if it benefits some, why the hell no?
Reading the impressions, I am sure many of us will be impressed "just" with the stock form :D
Those who like to play around are gonna be having a bit more fun perhaps :]

If Dr. Fang Bian doesn't plan to change anything, I hope the headphone will be out soon! It's bloody April... I need it :/

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #437 of 21,179

There are no perfect headphones out there.  For those who have to mod them for personal tastes in sound, fine, but does that make them better for every one else? 

B-but sir, who doesn't like more sub-bass extension? 
tongue.gif

At any rate I'll more or less shut up now, I've had my schpeel. Seems like quite a few others have received these so they should take the limelight and share impressions in their own ways.

A change in cables can give you more bottom end, or top end, tube rolling can do the same.  No two setups are exactly the same, it's all about making yourself happy.  Aren't there other headphones out there for more sub-bass extension?  Is this a mistake in manufacturing or intentional?  I would like to hear more impressions about the sound of the HE-560 so I can decide whether to purchase or not.  Like I said no perfect headphones yet....is more sub-bass extension better!  Personal preference I guess!

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #438 of 21,179

A change in cables can give you more bottom end, or top end, tube rolling can do the same.  No two setups are exactly the same, it's all about making yourself happy.  Aren't there other headphones out there for more sub-bass extension?  Is this a mistake in manufacturing or intentional?  I would like to hear more impressions about the sound of the HE-560 so I can decide whether to purchase or not.  Like I said no perfect headphones yet....is more sub-bass extension better!  Personal preference I guess!

Cables can make a difference, only if one believes in it.
I'd have more confidence in Jerg doing an acoustical modification.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #440 of 21,179

It is one thing for a person to want more sub-bass out of their headphones than what is linear, and another thing to want a more linear sub-bass/bass from a can that has a bass roll off. No manufacturer (that I know of) ever intends for any of their products to have a bass roll off; and no headphone user I've come across on head-fi would say they prefer a can with a bass roll off. Sure, there might be at least one person out there who doesn't care for sub-bass at all, and would rather have little to no sub-bass in any of their headphones, but as far as I know, she doesn't exist.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #441 of 21,179
Mods make a difference only if one believes in it!  There are a lot of different schools of thought!

I think we should wait until the designer chimes in.  My point is someone might prefer more of this or more of that, there is no right or wrong.  Nothing wrong with an HE-500 owner to want more of what the HE-500 has to offer, but in the end after all of the mods, what exactly do you call it!

More HE-560 impressions needed please!

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #442 of 21,179
  Mods make a difference only if one believes in it!  There are a lot of different schools of thought!

I said cables not making a difference, not mods. Some mods can be positive others not so much.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #444 of 21,179
+1 for the setup, -1 for the cable [the headphone comes with a good one they said :D]

Regardless, [@jerg] it depends on just how massive the roll-off is, if the sub-bass is slightly rolled that's fine, if the roll-off is huge, it may cause certain parts of certain songs to be hardly audible if at all.
It's a bit of a concern as far as gaming goes.The HE-6 for example - was a great gaming headphone, however, the Dolby Headphone technology seems to boost the bass a bit by default by increasing it a db or few [now we all know the proper way to do it is to decrease other frequencies and leave the bass at 0, but that's not how it's done]

The thing I've noticed with the HE-6 that if you apply this EQ method - especially to bass [increasing one frequency, rather than decreasing others] it starts to distort after a 1-2+ db boost,,,

Could anyone test that and report back [software EQ the bass up by a few db and tell me when it starts distorting]? Maybe it's an issue with most headphones, though I know there are some which don't have troubles with this kind of EQ boosting.

Would be hugely appreciated! Thanks.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #445 of 21,179
  +1 for the setup, -1 for the cable [the headphone comes with a good one they said :D]

Regardless, [@jerg] it depends on just how massive the roll-off is, if the sub-bass is slightly rolled that's fine, if the roll-off is huge, it may cause certain parts of certain songs to be hardly audible if at all.
It's a bit of a concern as far as gaming goes.The HE-6 is a great gaming headphone, however, the Dolby Headphone technology seems to boost the bass a bit by default by increasing it a db or few [now we all know the proper way to do it is to decrease other frequencies and leave the bass at 0, but that's not how it's done]

The thing I've noticed with the HE-6 that if you apply this EQ method - especially to bass [increasing one frequency, rather than decreasing others] it starts to distort after a 1-2+ db boost,,,

Could anyone test that and report back [software EQ the bass up by a few db and tell me when it starts distorting]? Maybe it's an issue with most headphones, though I know there are some which don't have troubles with this kind of EQ boosting.

Wouldn't distortion due to EQ'ing the bass upwards depend on how much the amp is cranked up and how much headroom is available.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #446 of 21,179

It's a bit of a concern as far as gaming goes.The HE-6 for example - was a great gaming headphone, however, the Dolby Headphone technology seems to boost the bass a bit by default by increasing it a db or few [now we all know the proper way to do it is to decrease other frequencies and leave the bass at 0, but that's not how it's done]

Would be hugely appreciated! Thanks.

It's pretty minor, the stock roll-off is less severe than HE400 (which are already very extended).

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #447 of 21,179

That sounds more like an issue with the rest of your system, which doesn't exclude whatever software you might be using (in fact, I think that's what it probably is). 1-2 dB is very little in terms of power increase. I'm able to bump up 20-30db for my system, which includes the HE400, without issue. Of course, it also depends on what you're playing.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #448 of 21,179
  Wouldn't distortion due to EQ'ing the bass upwards depend on how much the amp is cranked up and how much headroom is available.

Yes, you might be right...
I suspect it is the one I cannot skip - the DSS.
The headphones are essentially double amped [1]DSS->2]external amp]
I at first thought it was the headphone as the external amp was always strong enough with plenty headroom...
But now that I think about it, it is the weak, measly DSS...

Well, that is almost certainly the case... That'd mean that every console gamer who uses a harder to drive headphone [i.e. - has to use a secondary amp] must have noticed it - deep explosions cause distortion with harder to drive headphones.

Thanks for helping me realize that :] No solution to that though :/

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #449 of 21,179
  It's pretty minor, the stock roll-off is less severe than HE400 (which are already very extended).

Great thanks. I am content with that I guess :] The only thing now is to hear it.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #450 of 21,179
Are there any units being sent for measurements? Tyll, purrin or anybody else should receive one soon?
Besides the impressions and reviews, which are hugely important, it'd be nice to take a look at some graphs and compare to other HP's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back