= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 12, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,326 of 21,174
these impressions are for preorders/potential orders of the he-560 considering the switch to oppo pm-1s instead.

i've spent similiar time with each now, with 30 hours or so of burn in on the he-560 and 15-20 on the oppos.
there are many who feel more burn in time may be necessary to get the "full" sound of each but i think the signature of each can has gotten a decent chance to show, i don't think my opinion will change in terms of strict comparisons.

this is not a complete review of either headphone, more of a strict comparison to each other. i am no expert in how something should sound, only how it sounds to me.
i used a lot of various music and don't feel like listing them here.

build: so there is a lot of hype around the pm-1s high quality construction and concern over the he-560s. everything about the pm-1 is very nice, uniform and well manufactured. the cable provided is excellent. the metal pieces holding the cups are my favorite.
my he-560 overall seems solid. no issues with the headband. my wood cups are mostly smooth and uniform outside of some nicks on the inner part. no grill glue issues. wish the pads were uniform. if you can afford it i'd recommend a nicer/flexible cable replacement. i can feel the cables hitting my chest when i sit up straight.

pm-1 exceeds the he-560 in quality but i don't think either would have any issues with wear and tear.

comfort: i don't know how big my head is compared to everyone but i wear a loose 7 5/8" hat.  headband wise i think the he-560 clearly wins due to more distrubtion area. the leather strap is very large and covers a good chunk of my head. the oppo created a slight hotspot but it just light enough to not cause much head pain.

the earpads are gonna be very subjective. the oppos are very snug while the he-560 were very spacious for me. i only used the leather pads with the pm-1 because i didn't like the velour as much. the leathers felt cooler and seemed to breathe well. with the he-560 i felt less like i was wearing headphones cause my ears were free. only disadvantage is that there may be more adjusting to get your ears in a good spot. the oppos will always be positioned the same since theres only one spot for your ears.

although a simliar weight, for me the he-560 are slightly better in comfort but the pm-1s are easily second in terms of planars.

sound: im gonna try to be straightforward since i don't like using all the fancy audiophile words to describe something. all listening was made out of my wa7 with eh tubes. i did listen thru magni a couple times (which i was using to burn in). i was not able to a-b because i don't have anything to measure volume and they were drastically different for the volume knob position.

the pm-1 have more of a weighted sound while the he-560 has more of an extended sound.
pm-1: bass more bloated, overall less detailed,  very smooth from top to bottom, favorite trait is how it handled female vocals.
he-560: tighter bass but less quantity. a good bit more detailed (most noticable with string instruments), provides a more high resolution/neutral sound. favorite trait is either listening to anything string/piano related or the ability to keep detail/bass with lower listening volumes.

i felt the he-560 scaled a lot more from the magni to wa7 than the pm-1 did. both fed thru wa7 dac.

one thing that was interesting is the pm-1 does not get affected by putting your hands near the cups. the he-560 sound collapses in the same situation. leakage is also much less with the former so keep that in mind if it affects you.

i feel the pm-1 suits those who enjoy a relaxed sound and are wearing them while doing other activites or laying in bed. it does not get in your way presents music quite unoffensively. works well with lower quality/modern music but the jump to high quality flacs wasn't as noticeable. likely great for someone who only wants a low costing amp.

the he-560 in comparison feels much more dynamic/exciting. they extract more detail and the difference in treble energy is easily discernable. those who are active listeners and want to hear everything their music can provide would be happy with these though bad recordings/clipping is more noticeable. the treble can be a bit much for those who normally only listen to warm cans but when listening to the pm-1s i kept craving that top end i was missing.

overall they're both great headphones but they're going to appeal to different crowds. build wise the pm-1 is stellar but i think the sound falls short of the price. its the exact opposite for the he-560 which needs a little more polish to feel more "high end".

i would keep both if it was reasonable because my moods change but it's a bit goofy to have $2k+ in headphones when there are bills to pay.
i plan to keep the he-560 due to them having a sound that will suit me better in the long run and are slightly better comfort wise. with the price difference you can buy yourself a pair of cables or put that money into your amp/dac setup.

tl:dr - neither headphone "destroys" the other, its really down to preference like most other higher end cans. the treble is the determining factor imo.

May 12, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #2,327 of 21,174
  Will the  AK 240 drive the new  560's with excellent SQ?

I don't think the AK240 got enough power to drive these. I've tried w/ my AK120 which is certainly lack of juice to make these even to good sounding level, not to say excellent. AK240 isn't much powerful than the AK120 from the few times I tried in shops. Even 901 w/ minibox card can't drive these to excellent SQ level, the best is listenable w/ those not-very-dynamic musics (songs from Norah Jones, Susan Wang and etc.). 

May 12, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #2,329 of 21,174
Just to let those who don't know. This thread is the third most popular thread right now on Head-Fi 
o2smile.gif

May 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,330 of 21,174
Mine arrived today

For once I found that my unit did not escape the issue that was reported...
 Had been very lucky with my online purchase.
However, I do not find any finger-print on the box.

Minor scratches on the wooden cups did showed up..
Looking closely at the scratches.. and realised that this problem will become worst if it not address.
The yokes that are holding the cup were definitely too close to allow the cups to bend inward and outward...
esp at the area near the swivel points.

I think I will need to sign up for replacement... cables removable is norm for me, I do it every time I switch my headphones.
 And in doing this,  more scratches will appeared till the yokes have sufficient clearance between the cups.

But once the headphones is on my head...
I can only say beautiful sound flow through it... very happy with slight irritation.
o2smile.gif

May 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,331 of 21,174
I noticed that there is a loud buzzing noise in one of the speakers when low frequency sine wave is played. It's like some hair or piece of paper is resonating inside the driver, but I couldn't find anything when I detached earpad. I hear it only with pure sine wave on high volume (starts buzzing when I set my O2 volume knob past 12' at 2.5x gain), and it doesn't seem to appear in music. Any idea how to fix this before replacement pairs are shipped?

Also regarding the replacements, I have a few questions:
- Will every customer get a replacement, or only those who asked for it explicitly?
- Can we keep old pads (or at least swap it with the new pair), if the new ones are less comfortable?
- Are we going to pay VAT and shipping costs again? I guess we will have to pay for shipping back old pair with our own money, hence the $100 gift card.

May 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #2,332 of 21,174
You might have missed the hair, but I don't know.  I thought only Beyerdynamics could get a rattling in their drivers from hair due to their sticky diaphragms, but I was surprised that one day I found my HE-400 had the same issue on its left side, and I had to take the pad off and carefully pull the hair off of the exposed diaphragm.

May 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #2,333 of 21,174
  I noticed that there is a loud buzzing noise in one of the speakers when low frequency sine wave is played. It's like some hair or piece of paper is resonating inside the driver, but I couldn't find anything when I detached earpad. I hear it only with pure sine wave on high volume (starts buzzing when I set my O2 volume knob past 12' at 2.5x gain), and it doesn't seem to appear in music. Any idea how to fix this before replacement pairs are shipped?

- Will every customer get a replacement, or only those who asked for it explicitly?
- Can we keep old pads (or at least swap it with the new pair), if the new ones are less comfortable?
- Are we going to pay VAT and shipping costs again? I guess we will have to pay for shipping back old pair with our own money, hence the $100 gift card.

You need a good seal with the earpad and the head for the diaphragm to have control over producing low (<50 Hz) frequencies at loud volumes, it seems to be a quirk with single-ended designs.

May 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2,335 of 21,174
  You need a good seal with the earpad and the head for the diaphragm to have control over producing low (<50 Hz) frequencies at loud volumes, it seems to be a quirk with single-ended designs.

I don't have any problem with bass quantity, it's OK for me, but thanks for the tip. I tried playing some bassy music with EQ cuttoff of all frequencies above 100Hz and there was no audible rattle so I think it doesn't affect sound quality much. But I worry it might become apparent with subbass focused songs and on stronger amp. When I repeat the bass shaker test from this site few times, it seems that sometimes the buzz is quieter or louder, or resonating with different frequencies (usually it's loudest at 20-50Hz, suddenly gets quiet and appears again at 60-70Hz). Maybe cables inside are touching drivers? I tried to examine it but I couldn't remove the driver even after unscrewing it, so I gave up.

May 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,336 of 21,174

This is weird. I do not have this problem with a similar test. But I have had a similar problem that was related to my O2\ODAC. Do you have the odac\o2 combo in one box? The one I have from mayflower also does this when the odac inside the case is pulled so it touches the rear panel (the usb cables pulls it back when moving the unit, etc). I put in some isolating tape between the board and case and problem solved.

May 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,337 of 21,174
  I don't think the AK240 got enough power to drive these. I've tried w/ my AK120 which is certainly lack of juice to make these even to good sounding level, not to say excellent. AK240 isn't much powerful than the AK120 from the few times I tried in shops. Even 901 w/ minibox card can't drive these to excellent SQ level, the best is listenable w/ those not-very-dynamic musics (songs from Norah Jones, Susan Wang and etc.). 

If you use the balanced adapter with a balanced cable it will drive them easily. I tried it both way when I had the prototype. 

May 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,338 of 21,174
  I don't have any problem with bass quantity, it's OK for me, but thanks for the tip. I tried playing some bassy music with EQ cuttoff of all frequencies above 100Hz and there was no audible rattle so I think it doesn't affect sound quality much. But I worry it might become apparent with subbass focused songs and on stronger amp. When I repeat the bass shaker test from this site few times, it seems that sometimes the buzz is quieter or louder, or resonating with different frequencies (usually it's loudest at 20-50Hz, suddenly gets quiet and appears again at 60-70Hz). Maybe cables inside are touching drivers? I tried to examine it but I couldn't remove the driver even after unscrewing it, so I gave up.

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I say "control", diaphragm losing control = rattling. The HE560 diaphragm needs a good internal seal (chamber between the driver, the earpads, and your head) to pump 20-50 Hz at loud volumes without the distortion.

Try playing the tones again, but with the headphone worn on your head and adjusted correctly so both earpads are sealed well.

May 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,339 of 21,174
I don't get any rattling on deep bass at higher volumes with a poor seal. Is it variable in units maybe? 

Jerg, thanks for you work on the ear pad connection on the 560's. I like the original 560's but the newest version has better integration, IMO. 

May 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,340 of 21,174
  I don't get any rattling on deep bass at higher volumes with a poor seal. Is it variable in units maybe? 

Jerg, thanks for you work on the ear pad connection on the 560's. I like the original 560's but the newest version has better integration, IMO. 

Not in music, but with a very mechanical test (e.g. playing a 25 Hz sinewave tone at a very loud volume). Even the lowest bass in music do not get as loud / as frequency-focused as pure tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back