= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 11, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #20,386 of 21,175
Seems like the Lyr 2 is a popular pairing with the HE560, which is cool to see. I'm really enjoying my v3 paired with 1970s Czech Roznov tubes in the Lyr 2, which are known for their bass impact. Like the others above, I have EQ'd them to add a bit of low-end bass, a small bump up at 500hz, and a larger bump up at 2Khz. Highly recommended.

To me, they sound just about perfect for my taste in this configuration. I wouldn't say "end game", but they'll hold me for a good long while :)

In Foobar, I also run my source through an upmixer that then passes a surround mix to a Dolby Headphone wrapper before outputting the remixed stereo signal to the DAC, which really lets me play around with the sound stage, but I realize this isn't for everyone. It does often sound very, very cool, though and is neat to toy with.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #20,387 of 21,175
I am running my HE560 v1.5 (wood veneer, 2.5mm connectors) from Audio-gd R2R11 and is very nice match.
In Magni3 or Mjolnir2 (both from Gungnir Multibit) in low gain settings, they are too thin and bright. In high gain settings, they gets fuller and significantly better than low gain, but still too bright for my taste.
They sure are amp picky headphones.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #20,388 of 21,175
Is it really 112 kHz? Maybe 112 Hz?
Thanks!
Your right is supposed to be hz, that was a typo!

I agree with everyone that the 560 is very good for classical music, with the 3.5mm V2 I have I would say that is the only genre I liked them with (without my EQ)

I have heard a lot of people sayt the original has a very different sound, likely due to the backplate, its a bit odd that they changed it without just making a new model. The preorders apparently included the Focus PAd-A which would certainly alter the sound considerably.

Would love to get some different earpads for these, think the V2 would benefit from something like the Dekoni sheepskins to increase the bass, though I would worry that it would come at the cost of the treble which is find to be excellent stock.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #20,389 of 21,175
Agree that the HE560 is not an efficient headphone and the Magni3 would not be my choice for an amp to pair with them from the few times I've tried my HE560 on a friends Magni3 but its not due to a lack of power IMO. To me the Magni3 is slightly on the bright side of neutral and this doesn't make a good pairing with the HE560 (mine are V1-SMC with back plate, attenuation rings, original Focus pads and a grill mod).

Lyr2 + HE560 = my usual pairing (glass of wine is optional but highly recommended)

You should also check to see if you are not over driving the inputs to the Magni3 since there were a few that had issues with this as it might be the cause of some distortion.

With my Ember I can change the output resistance and this has quite a notice effect on the sound of the HE560, at the low setting (0.1ohm) the treble is a bit harsh at times but the sound is quite dynamic/fun, at the med setting (35ohms) the highs are a smooth and never harsh and the bass is a touch fuller over the low setting, and at the high setting (120ohms) the highs are too rolled off and the bass is not as detailed and more one-note-ish. This doesn't even take into consideration that different tubes will also alter the sound a bit but its not quite as noticeable as changing the output resistance/impedance.

I'd say the HE560 is a bit picky on which amp it will pair well with and along with all the different versions (3 at this time) its a bit difficult to make any generalized comments on how they sound and what tweaks (grill mod, different ear pads, different amps, etc), will work for each individual.

Its possible the Magni 3 is doing some strange attention when used with a digital preamp, though I dont know why it would be doing that. I have it paired with the Modi 3 so in theory it should be fine, though who knows? I am not a huge fan of it to be honest, I downgraded to it from my Burson Fun as I want to sell the Fun and pick up one of the THX amps, which I think will be amazing with the 560. The Fun was clearly better to me in terms of power and sound

Its definitely got enough power before I use my EQ to get painfully loud but once that preamp goes on it seems to struggle.

I hope someone with a nice measuring rig gets a chance to measure these new Adorama camera versions as I think there may indeed be significant sonic differences.

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #20,390 of 21,175
Has Hifiman ever chimed in on what differences there are besides the cup shell and the headband? I measured the headband change from old to new style and nothing different (and wouldnt expect it to change). The housing should be really subtle too, unless they changed materials within the cups, or just slapped sundara drivers in there instead of the HE560s but that seems weird.

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #20,391 of 21,175
Has Hifiman ever chimed in on what differences there are besides the cup shell and the headband? I measured the headband change from old to new style and nothing different (and wouldnt expect it to change). The housing should be really subtle too, unless they changed materials within the cups, or just slapped sundara drivers in there instead of the HE560s but that seems weird.

We've seen confirmation from independent teardowns as well as directly from HiFiMan that the drivers themselves are identical to the HE560 v1/v1.5, so if anything any differences would be down to the cups or the (removed) backplate. Honestly, until we see measurements directly comparing the v1/v1.5 to the v2/v3, I remain extremely skeptical of any significant deviation in sound signature.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #20,392 of 21,175
I think that V3 has the same quality level of he-500, which has higher technical level than he-400.
Having listening to music, I feel the same technical level of speed and the ability of expression of overtones without effort like putting so naturally the overtones on the fundamental tones.
That expressiveness of overtones on he-400i is absent.
Overall V3 inherits the quality of Hifiman's house sound which are shared with he-6 /500/400 except 400i, which is in the level of budget dynamic headphones.
When you listen to he-560 v3, you can listen to the design intent which puts the nature of sound in the middle between he-500 and 6.
I think V3 has the same driver.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #20,393 of 21,175
Some added values on he-560 in comparison to he-500, might be more dynamic and more extension to the sub-bass area.
Of course, there is more extension to highs too.
The most important things are weigh reduction and comfortableness, which are enough to give justification to the ownership.
You are having 97 % of sonic quality of he-6 without formidable amplifier requirement to achieve the sub-bass quantity and quality of he-6 that might break your bank.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #20,394 of 21,175
I think that V3 has the same quality level of he-500, which has higher technical level than he-400.
Having listening to music, I feel the same technical level of speed and the ability of expression of overtones without effort like putting so naturally the overtones on the fundamental tones.
That expressiveness of overtones on he-400i is absent.
Overall V3 inherits the quality of Hifiman's house sound which are shared with he-6 /500/400 except 400i, which is in the level of budget dynamic headphones.
When you listen to he-560 v3, you can listen to the design intent which puts the nature of sound in the middle between he-500 and 6.
I think V3 has the same driver.
I have to disagree with your statement that the HE560 shares the same house sound as the HE6, HE500 and HE400 while the HE400i does not since these sound quite different to me, more different than that of the Senn HD6 series which I feel "share" the same house sound. While I haven't heard a HE6 in a long time I have borrowed a friends HE500 a few times and its so different from my HE560, HE400i and HE400 that I'd never consider them to share a house sound, this is just my opinion but I think a few others who have heard them all might agree.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #20,395 of 21,175
Back
Some added values on he-560 in comparison to he-500, might be more dynamic and more extension to the sub-bass area.
Of course, there is more extension to highs too.
The most important things are weigh reduction and comfortableness, which are enough to give justification to the ownership.
You are having 97 % of sonic quality of he-6 without formidable amplifier requirement to achieve the sub-bass quantity and quality of he-6 that might break your bank.

My experience says the 500 is lush/analog sounding and the 560 is flatter/accurate sounding. I haven't spent as much time with he 560 as the 500, but I haven't heard the 560 having more bass extension than the 500.

I don't think either one matches the HE-6, but the 500 is closer - quite close in the mids - captures the richness and excitement that the HE-6 exults in, closer than the 560.

The 560 was released late to an eager audience, and lots of people at that time said it was better than the 500. However over time the opinion has changed to: over priced (initial list), peak in the treble, and overall a can that is described as: fast, accurate, transparent, but fatiguing at times.

Physical mods and/or EQ could turn it into a budget masterpiece - it is cheaper to buy a new/used one than a 500 which could be 8-9 years old.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #20,396 of 21,175
I have to disagree with your statement that the HE560 shares the same house sound as the HE6, HE500 and HE400 while the HE400i does not since these sound quite different to me, more different than that of the Senn HD6 series which I feel "share" the same house sound. While I haven't heard a HE6 in a long time I have borrowed a friends HE500 a few times and its so different from my HE560, HE400i and HE400 that I'd never consider them to share a house sound, this is just my opinion but I think a few others who have heard them all might agree.

The 4** is in its own class, enough said. The new "4**" is the Sundara. However I wouldn't buy either right now. The 560 is very cheap now, the HE-5se is cheap list, the 500 isn't bad used and crushes the 4** or the Sundara (and more depending on your taste). I'd shop those - not the 4**.

The HE-6 is the first crowning achievment of HFM. The 500 is a shot at a cheaper SE-6 that didn't need a power station to run it.

The 560 IMO is the first step to the Susavara. Lighter membrane, attempting a more accurate voicing - HEX, HEK, Ananda, etc. They don't sound like the HE-6/500. That's what the HE6se is for, folks that like that voicing.

Someday soon MD is going to put out a 500, which will be fascinating given the price of the XX. Or will they do a release under the HFM brand and price it higher or lower vs the HE-5se?

If you like your HFM sound, hang on for the MD XX to be shipped + 2 months, and there will be a pile of used cans to pick from - at very nice prices.

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #20,397 of 21,175
The 4** is in its own class, enough said. The new "4**" is the Sundara. However I wouldn't buy either right now. The 560 is very cheap now, the HE-5se is cheap list, the 500 isn't bad used and crushes the 4** or the Sundara (and more depending on your taste). I'd shop those - not the 4**.

The HE-6 is the first crowning achievment of HFM. The 500 is a shot at a cheaper SE-6 that didn't need a power station to run it.

The 560 IMO is the first step to the Susavara. Lighter membrane, attempting a more accurate voicing - HEX, HEK, Ananda, etc. They don't sound like the HE-6/500. That's what the HE6se is for, folks that like that voicing.

Someday soon MD is going to put out a 500, which will be fascinating given the price of the XX. Or will they do a release under the HFM brand and price it higher or lower vs the HE-5se?

If you like your HFM sound, hang on for the MD XX to be shipped + 2 months, and there will be a pile of used cans to pick from - at very nice prices.
If they put out HE500 and price it well, it will sell like hotcakes!

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #20,398 of 21,175
Physical mods and/or EQ could turn it into a budget masterpiece - it is cheaper to buy a new/used one than a 500 which could be 8-9 years old.
With small change of audio chain, he-560 v3 responds and this indicates he-560 can scale up.
It might be worthy of matching audio chain to get improved.
When paired with Yulong A-18 amplifier, it surpasses the quantities and quality of bass of he-500 with Gustard a20h.
I sens good deal of potential in he-560 v3.
It might be exciting to grow with he-560 with matching audio chain.

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #20,399 of 21,175
I got a new cooper cable for my 560 (Western Electric, beginning 20th century, mono conductor) and after 50 hours burn in I can say that headphones don't like a silver. The default crystalline also need to change because he "eats a lot of sound". For example suffer sub-bass, a volume of virtual scene and there is detachment just like you behind the hall. Now I have a three different cables - crystalline, custom silver (75-80%) and WE cooper cable. Custom silver have a bit more volume of scene, clarity and bass but have more bright and cold sound. WE is very musical and airly. Vocal very impressing on live concerts (atmosphere of hall also loud and clear). Sub-bas is tight and structured.
For total burn in I need a more time and I will do it.
For testing I was used a different music like Chris Jones, Dir en Gray (live), Jacintha, Schandmaul (live), High and Mighty Color (live), Jesse Cook, Wagakki Band and Maximum the Hormone (clips and live).

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #20,400 of 21,175
We've seen confirmation from independent teardowns as well as directly from HiFiMan that the drivers themselves are identical to the HE560 v1/v1.5, so if anything any differences would be down to the cups or the (removed) backplate. Honestly, until we see measurements directly comparing the v1/v1.5 to the v2/v3, I remain extremely skeptical of any significant deviation in sound signature.
I doubt the sound signature between these models are drastically different, they have the same drivers after all. But subtle differences that can be felt may exist, since the construction inside the cup is different.
The v2 looks so tempting, i think i might grab one pair when i travel to Australia next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back