= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #19,351 of 21,175
At the end of the day, if you enjoy listening to your he560 at sub .25watts that’s great, I don’t, nor do many others. But that’s whats great about opinions...yours doesn’t matter, and neither does mine.

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #19,352 of 21,175
I can max the volume on high gain on my lyr3 and it’s not even close to unbearably loud...thats over 4 Watts rms

Doing the math, you are either listening to music at 126 db, or your signal is very weak. I suppose the latter is a good reason to have more watts... but a speaker amp that puts out close to 15 W into the 560? Really seems unnecessary.

For what's worth, I doubt I put 10 mW into mine, as I never even approach 100 db loud.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #19,356 of 21,175
The Mojo can drive 560's just fine with much less power too :)

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #19,357 of 21,175
I can max the volume on high gain on my lyr3 and it’s not even close to unbearably loud...thats over 4 Watts rms
Have you measured that. Just because the amp can develop 4 watts does not mean that it does that with the volume wide open. At that point it is completely dependent on the input level and the gain of the amp.

Put a full line level signal of a sine wave into it, and theoretically you will get 4 watts. With music at anything less than the full scale line level standard, you will not see 4 watts.

In PRO and high end audio gear they used to reference the input level required to get rated output.
You don't see that often these days.

The volume control does not act like some kind of absolute power control, it only impacts the ratio between the input and output signals.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #19,358 of 21,175
Have you measured that. Just because the amp can develop 4 watts does not mean that it does that with the volume wide open. At that point it is completely dependent on the input level and the gain of the amp.

Put a full line level signal of a sine wave into it, and theoretically you will get 4 watts. With music at anything less than the full scale line level standard, you will not see 4 watts.

In PRO and high end audio gear they used to reference the input level required to get rated output.
You don't see that often these days.

The volume control does not act like some kind of absolute power control, it only impacts the ratio between the input and output signals.

Wouldn’t it always be the same input signal coming from the built in dac?

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #19,359 of 21,175

Yes, absolutely...except that now you get to the question of 'level' on the input digital signal. If your digital source (say a computer running a music player, or a streaming device playing Tidal or Spotify) is turned down, then you're going to get a low signal from the DAC through the amp to the headphones.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #19,360 of 21,175
Yes, absolutely...except that now you get to the question of 'level' on the input digital signal. If your digital source (say a computer running a music player, or a streaming device playing Tidal or Spotify) is turned down, then you're going to get a low signal from the DAC through the amp to the headphones.

I always leave pc or mobile source at full, it does play quieter on my phone then it does through my pc, but on pc i would guess without measurements it’s around 110 maybe 115 dB when maxed out on high gain with max volume...I work in a 90db factory so I’m quite familiar with that noise level and while it plays louder then that, it’s nowhere near “ouch my ears level”.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #19,361 of 21,175
I always leave pc or mobile source at full, it does play quieter on my phone then it does through my pc, but on pc i would guess without measurements it’s around 110 maybe 115 dB when maxed out on high gain with max volume...I work in a 90db factory so I’m quite familiar with that noise level and while it plays louder then that, it’s nowhere near “ouch my ears level”.
That would be about 0.3 watts (316 mW) into the 560 at 90 DB/mW sensitivity. Way. way less than 4 watts. These are linear relationships. If Hifiman is rating the Headphone sensitivity correctly, that is the power for 115 DB spl.

BTW, 115 DB will not cause physical pain,(typically the threshold of pain is stated to be 130 DB) but with relatively short exposure it will cause irreparable ear damage. NIOSH recommends less than 15 minutes of exposure per day at 100 DB. It reduces that recommendation by half for each additional 3 DB. So basically they say at 119 DB exposure should be around a max of 1 minute per day. But damage is cumulative over time... Think about it.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #19,362 of 21,175
No. The DAC decodes levels based on the digital signal. It changes with the source material for sure.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #19,363 of 21,175
That would be about 0.3 watts (316 mW) into the 560 at 90 DB/mW sensitivity. Way. way less than 4 watts. These are linear relationships. If Hifiman is rating the Headphone sensitivity correctly, that is the power for 115 DB spl.

BTW, 115 DB will not cause physical pain,(typically the threshold of pain is stated to be 130 DB) but with relatively short exposure it will cause irreparable ear damage. NIOSH recommends less than 15 minutes of exposure per day at 100 DB. It reduces that recommendation by half for each additional 3 DB. So basically they say at 119 DB exposure should be around a max of 1 minute per day. But damage is cumulative over time... Think about it.

It’s pretty clear they’re not rating the efficiency correctly, and that shouldn’t surprise anyone seeing as just about every one of their headphones have had wrong impedance and efficiency numbers advertised...my guess is they are measuring in spl/volt which would basically prove what I’m hearing to the T

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #19,364 of 21,175
It’s pretty clear they’re not rating the efficiency correctly, and that shouldn’t surprise anyone seeing as just about every one of their headphones have had wrong impedance and efficiency numbers advertised...my guess is they are measuring in spl/volt which would basically prove what I’m hearing to the T
From Innerfidelity, Tyll's measurements:
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.330 Vrms (versus .220 for Hifiman spec). Impedance @ 1kHz: 43 Ohms. Power Needed for 90d BSPL. 2.53 mW (versus 1.00 for HFM). So they are closer to 86-87 DB/mW on the ones that he measured. Which would mean about 790 mW for 115 DB. A good distance from 4 watts.
Of course I think most will agree that there was a bunch of production variation in these, but this does not really change much in the previous calculations. Makes the "T" more like an "L"...
:ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back