= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 21, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #18,991 of 21,171
Set #3 is on its way to me from HiFiMan. Both of the first two were victims of Inexplicable Driver Death. Ordinarily I would have given up on a company with such god awful QA but the sound on these is too incredible not to give them one more try. Or two. But what a massive pain.

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #18,992 of 21,171
Set #3 is on its way to me from HiFiMan. Both of the first two were victims of Inexplicable Driver Death. Ordinarily I would have given up on a company with such god awful QA but the sound on these is too incredible not to give them one more try. Or two. But what a massive pain.
Perhaps third time's the charm? I sure hope so because they do sound very good.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #18,993 of 21,171
No, what's that?
Posted this image a way back:
Attenuation Rings.jpg
Made of card stock, hanging file folders or any thick paper, you will need to try and play with the shape and if you want 1 or 2. I've usually only used 1 with the HE560 shaped about what you see in the picture but have used 2 in my HE400i. This idea came from the TH-X00 thread IIRC. Nice thing for me is it only affects the bass and not the mids or highs. For those that want to tame/reduce the highs then someone noted that felt on the inside walls of the ear pads seem to help.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #18,994 of 21,171
Well, I received my new headband from Hifiman/ U.S. based & so far so good. I was somewhat nervous while assembling the whole headphone back together anticipating the plastic part on the headband to give/ break but it held & still does. Finally a listening period to evaluate these properly appears to be ahead. Listening to them right now, so far so good sound wise. They appear to reach back pretty far in the soundstage but the mids seem to get a bit muddled when several instruments play at the same time. We'll see ... Just glad to have what appears to be a good headband.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #18,997 of 21,171

Another pair of HE-560s from the Adorama sale bites the dust.

Got them on Monday, February 5. Enjoyed the sound a lot (upgraded from Fidelio X1s) and was extremely careful with them after seeing many posts of broken headbands here and on other forums. Went to take mine off this afternoon and the left cup completely broke off from the headband.

On the fence about getting a replacement headband (and potentially having the replacement break) vs. just returning them to Adorama for a refund. Really liked the sound once I got used to them and don't think I will find better for under $350 anytime soon.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #19,001 of 21,171
This is insane! I've never seen a product fail so consistently before. And it looks like it's pretty much breaking at the same spot for a lot of people or one of the channels is going out. I was browsing Amazon yesterday and people are complaining there too about the same issues, so maybe it's not just the ones from Adorama, but the more recent batches of this model. Hifiman should look at this and figure out what is going on. Something ain't right.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #19,002 of 21,171
I'm not sure the driver failures/rattle represent a huge increase over previous experience -- at least some of the recently reported failures were on (at least somewhat) older sets. But the breaking yokes seems like a recent epidemic. The parts are probably sourced from somewhere else. Perhaps they switched to a bad supplier, or perhaps it's just a bad batch. Whatever the story, Hifiman really should step up here. I don't care how good they sound, or how great a bargain they are at $350, this many immediate failures is...well, words fail me.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #19,003 of 21,171
USPS tells me set #3 was delivered so I know how I'll be spending my evening. What will go wrong with this set?

A. Left driver failure
B. Right driver failure
C. Cracked/broken yokes
D. Rattle
E. Spontaneous combustion
F. All of the above

Prizes to be announced tomorrow after they fail.
Well, the contest will have to be postponed.
The geniuses at HiFiMan Customer Service who said they were sending me a replacement headphone only sent me a replacement headband. That doesn't help my dead driver. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back