= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #18,406 of 21,171
While you are here DavidA, i still haven't purchased the he560. I think i need something close to the hek v2 to be fully satisfied. But it's so ridiculously expensive. How close is the he-560? There is also the lcd2 classic, but it is probably far from neutral. And the Edition X?
I didn't care for the HE1K ver1 when I heard it but I've yet to hear the ver2 so I don't know if there was enough of a change to sway my ears but I did like the HE560 over the HE1k ver1 since the HE1k was too mellow sounding to me and made some jazz and rock tracks boring but if you listen to mainly well recorded/mastered classical and opera the HE1k is a better choice over the HE560. For me the HD800 and SR009 (traded to a good friend) are the best for classical IMO. The HEX is a great sounding headphone if you want to use it with a DAP or low power phone but for me it was a bit too smooth and a bit boring at times and its why I went with the EL-8 open since its a more exciting/dynamic sound to me but the HEX is the more comfortable of the two.

Your choice would depend on what you are looking for, if you want a more neutral/reference sound then the HE1K would probably be the better choice over the HE560, LCD-2C and HEX. The main issue I have with most LCD series is the weight, if its not a problem for you then they might be a good option for you. I also have a LCD-2f and while I like it a lot the weight is just too much for me to enjoy them of any length of time.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #18,409 of 21,171
@FredA
How is it that you know what you will be satisfied with before you explore the options? Of course, if your mind is fully made up, just save your money until you can buy the HEK V2. You will save money in the long run.
Once your mind is made up, it is pretty certain you will not be happy, or "fully satisfied" with anything other than... "it".
The 560 is really not anywhere close to the HEK V2. I am not taking QUALITY of sound (quite relative!), but it has a completely different experience (the HEK). The tonality is way different just to start with.
I can be "fully satisfied" listening to music with the 560. I just relax and listen and appreciate what I have. I also have the HEK V1 (w/V2 pads) that I really like. But I do not listen to them exclusively. Depending on the genre, the downstream equipment and my mood, sometimes I select the 560, or Aeon Flow closed, or any number of other headphones to listen to. I surely do not sit and agonize over the fact that the HEK is not in play when I make that choice. I just listen and enjoy. The 560 is a very nice headphone. If you like it's tonality/timbre, it does so much right. I believe that many can and do consider it "endgame".
OTH, if you have made up your mind you need some other "X", it will never make you happy.. Or you can try to get rid of such constricting expectation biases... and get something to just enjoy. The 560 is a decent candidate... with the appropriate upstream components, of course. (the last is true for the HEK as well... but then will feel the need to spend lots of money on other stuff.. DACS, Amps, Cables..etc... because you will NEVER be fully satisfied!)

Good luck !

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #18,410 of 21,171
@FredA
How is it that you know what you will be satisfied with before you explore the options? Of course, if your mind is fully made up, just save your money until you can buy the HEK V2. You will save money in the long run.
Once your mind is made up, it is pretty certain you will not be happy, or "fully satisfied" with anything other than... "it".
The 560 is really not anywhere close to the HEK V2. I am not taking QUALITY of sound (quite relative!), but it has a completely different experience (the HEK). The tonality is way different just to start with.
I can be "fully satisfied" listening to music with the 560. I just relax and listen and appreciate what I have. I also have the HEK V1 (w/V2 pads) that I really like. But I do not listen to them exclusively. Depending on the genre, the downstream equipment and my mood, sometimes I select the 560, or Aeon Flow closed, or any number of other headphones to listen to. I surely do not sit and agonize over the fact that the HEK is not in play when I make that choice. I just listen and enjoy. The 560 is a very nice headphone. If you like it's tonality/timbre, it does so much right. I believe that many can and do consider it "
OTH, if you have made up your mind you need some other "X", it will never make you happy.. Or you can try to get rid of such constricting expectation biases... and get something to just enjoy. The 560 is a decent candidate... with the appropriate upstream components, of course. (the last is true for the HEK as well... but then will feel the need to spend lots of money on other stuff.. DACS, Amps, Cables..etc... because you will NEVER be fully satisfied!)

Good luck !
Thanks.

My best heaphone set right now, and i mean by this, the most neutral, is the mdr-7506. I have a set of loudspeakers (gallo 3.1) with a complete lack of coloration and almost dead neutral. I am looking for the same in a hp set. I don't want it to have a sound, i just want it to play music and reproduce sound as accurately as possible. With boring music, i want it to sound accordingly. Secondly, i want no fatigue induced by the hp set itself. I accept normal fatigue caused by very dynamic recordings however.

I dislike any emphasis. As for soundstaging, If the headset can simulate a nice soundstage, it's a plus but i don't have much expectations with that regard.

I am looking for a real audiophile set at raisonnable price. Neutral. That plays with the best fidelity possible. I own a K701, too lean, a meze 99, bass-heavy, an old Senn HD480 Classic, no much bass but great mids. A friend at the office has an old AKG k240 which i consider very neutral as well. I am just looking for a hp set that will go further in that same direction. More responsive to subtle intonations, more resolving without emphasing the highs, but basically the same otherwise. I mainly listen to jazz.

The he560 seems to fit the bill or almost.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #18,411 of 21,171
I am looking for a real audiophile set at raisonnable price. Neutral. That plays with the best fidelity possible. I own a K701, too lean, a meze 99, bass-heavy, an old Senn HD480 Classic, no much bass but great mids.A friend at the office has an old AKG k240 which i consider very neutral as well. I am just looking for a hp set that will go further in that same direction. More responsive to subtle intonations, more resolving without emphasing the highs, but basically the same otherwise. I mainly listen to jazz.

Have you tried the HD600?

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #18,412 of 21,171
@FredA, I don't think the HE560 is a "neutral" sounding headphone and they really don't sound like any of my speakers (Rauna TYR, KEF 103.3 Reference or Magnepan 1.6). I'd go with @Toad_of_Toad_Hall suggestion of the HD600 which is like a "standard of neutral" to many and you might also want to consider the new HD660S and AR-H1 since these seem to be getting some great reviews as being fairly neutral sounding.

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #18,413 of 21,171
I have tried the hd650 briefly. Not neutral enough. I figure the hd600 could do the job (i haven't had a chance to listen to it). But if the he560 is a better hp with similar neutrality, i would go for the he560. Or the AR-H1, or Aeon, or Amiron, if they fit the description.

The ar-h1 sure looks like a great buy, thanks for mentioning it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #18,414 of 21,171
I have tried the hd650 briefly. Not neutral enough. I figure the hd600 could do the job (i haven't had a chance to listen to it). But if the he560 is a better hp with similar neutrality, i would go for the he560. Or the AR-H1, or Aeon, or Amiron, if they fit the description.

The ar-h1 sure looks like a great buy, thanks for mentioning it.

Thaks.

I think if you paired the 560 with the right amp and pads it could be pretty neutral.

Slight U

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #18,416 of 21,171
Thanks.

My best heaphone set right now, and i mean by this, the most neutral, is the mdr-7506. I have a set of loudspeakers (gallo 3.1) with a complete lack of coloration and almost dead neutral. I am looking for the same in a hp set. I don't want it to have a sound, i just want it to play music and reproduce sound as accurately as possible. With boring music, i want it to sound accordingly. Secondly, i want no fatigue induced by the hp set itself. I accept normal fatigue caused by very dynamic recordings however.

I dislike any emphasis. As for soundstaging, If the headset can simulate a nice soundstage, it's a plus but i don't have much expectations with that regard.

I am looking for a real audiophile set at raisonnable price. Neutral. That plays with the best fidelity possible. I own a K701, too lean, a meze 99, bass-heavy, an old Senn HD480 Classic, no much bass but great mids. A friend at the office has an old AKG k240 which i consider very neutral as well. I am just looking for a hp set that will go further in that same direction. More responsive to subtle intonations, more resolving without emphasing the highs, but basically the same otherwise. I mainly listen to jazz.

I just had HE-560 for a long weekend and compared it to my Audioquest Nighthawk. For me AQ has more realistic and sound, although a bit lacking in air and treble detail. HE560 has more energy at treble but it's a bit colored and doesn't merge well with mids IMO. So if you have a chance, would recommend trying out Nighthawks too. Nighthawks are also one of the most comfortable HPs - Hifimans are far from it.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #18,417 of 21,171
I just had HE-560 for a long weekend and compared it to my Audioquest Nighthawk. For me AQ has more realistic and sound, although a bit lacking in air and treble detail. HE560 has more energy at treble but it's a bit colored and doesn't merge well with mids IMO. So if you have a chance, would recommend trying out Nighthawks too. Nighthawks are also one of the most comfortable HPs - Hifimans are far from it.

Worth trying for sure, but a lot of folks don't agree... it's all about taste, etc.

I'd tend to agree with this review:

https://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/nighthawk/review

But I know a lot of folks swear by their nighthawks...

:)

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #18,418 of 21,171
I bought the AR-h1. It should take a week before i get them.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #18,419 of 21,171
Yeah, the Nighthawk certainly wasn't my cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks.....

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #18,420 of 21,171
I had the Nighthawk for a short period, it was an interesting sounding headphone but not my cup of tea due to the dip in the upper mids / lower treble and a slight peak in the upper treble that made most of the genres that I listen to a little boring but I can see why some that are sensitive to treble might find them great as long as the peaks in the upper treble does not cause them fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back