= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #18,226 of 21,171
the rega brio - the leatest one has a revamped headphone amp and it drives the 560 just fine , ill run it speaker taps when i get my balanced cable and compare

@screwdriver Great, why did you ask about amps then??

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #18,228 of 21,171
@screwdriver Great, why did you ask about amps then??

curious - i didnt have the 560 yet when i asked the question ,im still not certain as i know it sounds good to me but theres always that question compared to others similarly priced

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #18,229 of 21,171
I have both the 560 and the HEK v2, used the 560 mostly before I got the HEK (have many other headphones around), with some time going to the Koss ESP 950. Since I got the HEK, the others are just around for comparison in reviews. (not going to get into cost/performance, you definitely spend a lot to get small improvements at some point (diminishing returns is a bitch).

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #18,230 of 21,171
I have both the 560 and the HEK v2, used the 560 mostly before I got the HEK (have many other headphones around), with some time going to the Koss ESP 950. Since I got the HEK, the others are just around for comparison in reviews. (not going to get into cost/performance, you definitely spend a lot to get small improvements at some point (diminishing returns is a bitch).

I own the HEK V2 and love them, but I’ve never heard the 560. If you don’t mind, I’d love to hear a comparison between the two. Differences, similarities, soundstage, bass, treble, etc.
It would be much appreciated!!!

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #18,231 of 21,171
(at a concert tonight-Tom Paxton, Steve Earle, Tom Chapin, others), tomorrow's a "school day", checking out a house my college girl wants to rent with friends tomorrow, I'll try to get to it, take me a few days...

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #18,233 of 21,171
:saxophone:(concert was fun-late night out on a school night, pretty beat today...)

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #18,234 of 21,171
I own the HEK V2 and love them, but I’ve never heard the 560. If you don’t mind, I’d love to hear a comparison between the two. Differences, similarities, soundstage, bass, treble, etc.
It would be much appreciated!!!

I haven't listened to my 560s much since my HEKv2 showed up. I did a very brief comparison last night and found:

- Surprisingly small differences
- More detail in HEK
- HEK handles very complex music better ('Zombie', end of 'White Bird')
- HEK soundstage more precise (but not larger)
- 560s more V-shaped which made voices seem slight distant in the mix vs. more forward with HEK
- No more bass w/ HEK, but cleaner and maybe slightly more impactful, although I didn't really listen to bass-heavy tracks

Again, surprisingly small differences given the price differential -- 560 is a tremendous bargain to my ears.

Note, both are un-modded (FocusA pads on 560), listening to:

Plenue 2 portable rig, and
Local network flac files ==> Sonica DAC ==> Violectric V281 desktop rig

both rigs fully balanced.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #18,235 of 21,171
I haven't listened to my 560s much since my HEKv2 showed up. I did a very brief comparison last night and found:

- Surprisingly small differences
- More detail in HEK
- HEK handles very complex music better ('Zombie', end of 'White Bird')
- HEK soundstage more precise (but not larger)
- 560s more V-shaped which made voices seem slight distant in the mix vs. more forward with HEK
- No more bass w/ HEK, but cleaner and maybe slightly more impactful, although I didn't really listen to bass-heavy tracks

Again, surprisingly small differences given the price differential -- 560 is a tremendous bargain to my ears.

Note, both are un-modded (FocusA pads on 560), listening to:

Plenue 2 portable rig, and
Local network flac files ==> Sonica DAC ==> Violectric V281 desktop rig

both rigs fully balanced.

Thank you for that. The HEK V2 is my favorite headphone of all time. So if the 560 is that close to it, then those are great cans. For $499, that’s a steal. I’ve heard others say that the 560 treble is peaky and not nearly as refined as the HEK. You didn’t notice that though?

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #18,236 of 21,171
Thank you for that. The HEK V2 is my favorite headphone of all time. So if the 560 is that close to it, then those are great cans. For $499, that’s a steal. I’ve heard others say that the 560 treble is peaky and not nearly as refined as the HEK. You didn’t notice that though?

560 peaky? Some on the rise from bottom of V (upper mids). HEK more refined? Yes. But to me, 'more refined' is a bit nebulous. I take it to mean more detailed, more linear, better able to handle complex passages, more lifelike/natural/realistic. Hard to avoid being qualitative and vague.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #18,237 of 21,171
I just did a quick comparison of my 560 and my HEK v2 (driven by MicroZOTL2 modded by Mojo Audio, with a Mojo Illuminati LPS; digital from Geek Out Special Edition SE/Revive from my PC). Played a 16/48 hi rez track, Suite for 20G, from James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James". The 560 does indeed sound nice, good imaging, bit of depth, engaging sound (do hear a bit of tizziness, rough on the high end, which I've always noted-mitigated by some amps). Put on the HEK; man, there is no comparison. More Air, images have more body, smoother while being more cohesive and "grabbing you by the bottom". Again, I'm not going to address the "six times more expensive issue-you can live happily ever after with the 560 (I did for a long time). Did the same with a 24/88 track of Neil Young's Walk On ("On The Beach"). Same thing-bass has more depth and tightness, texture, there's more width and depth and air between the instruments, despite the increased width the instruments are more "in sync" Neil is a body in space, not just a disimbodied voice. And there is a slight edge to the 560 again...

This was actually a good exercise...when you listen to one set of headphones all the time, it becomes the default sound in your head, and I think you stop appreciating it (think much "upgraditis" is due to this acclamating to the sound and losing that surprise of the improvements noted when a purchase was new). And, I never regretted the 560 at the $900 purchase price. But, do I think I would take the money difference and go back to the 560? Nope! These things are a level up...

My $0.02, ymmv, hakuna matada, and all the other disclaimers.
Peace/=.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #18,238 of 21,171
I just did a quick comparison of my 560 and my HEK v2 (driven by MicroZOTL2 modded by Mojo Audio, with a Mojo Illuminati LPS; digital from Geek Out Special Edition SE/Revive from my PC). Played a 16/48 hi rez track, Suite for 20G, from James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James". The 560 does indeed sound nice, good imaging, bit of depth, engaging sound (do hear a bit of tizziness, rough on the high end, which I've always noted-mitigated by some amps). Put on the HEK; man, there is no comparison. More Air, images have more body, smoother while being more cohesive and "grabbing you by the bottom". Again, I'm not going to address the "six times more expensive issue-you can live happily ever after with the 560 (I did for a long time). Did the same with a 24/88 track of Neil Young's Walk On ("On The Beach"). Same thing-bass has more depth and tightness, texture, there's more width and depth and air between the instruments, despite the increased width the instruments are more "in sync" Neil is a body in space, not just a disimbodied voice. And there is a slight edge to the 560 again...

This was actually a good exercise...when you listen to one set of headphones all the time, it becomes the default sound in your head, and I think you stop appreciating it (think much "upgraditis" is due to this acclamating to the sound and losing that surprise of the improvements noted when a purchase was new). And, I never regretted the 560 at the $900 purchase price. But, do I think I would take the money difference and go back to the 560? Nope! These things are a level up...

My $0.02, ymmv, hakuna matada, and all the other disclaimers.
Peace/=.

Just awesome commentary here. Thanks for that. The HEK V2 is the best headphone I’ve ever heard. But this hobby always makes you want to try more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back