HiFiMAN HE-500 = Waste of Money (and general discussion)
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #256 of 280
Yes, use a tube amp with a planar. Push a massive amount of voltage into a low impedance headphone. Don't roll tubes, either. Be sure to use the stock, new-production tubes. Then, make sure you complain a lot about bass rolloff and anemic lows, and go straight back to your glorious ATH-M50s.

Such is the way of the master race.

The Lyr 2, according to published material, has a tube VAS, a Mofset output stage (hence drive current does not come from tubes), and it is rated ~5W at ~40 Ohms. Which is plenty of power to drive the HE500.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #257 of 280

Yes, use a tube amp with a planar. Push a massive amount of voltage into a low impedance headphone. Don't roll tubes, either. Be sure to use the stock, new-production tubes. Then, make sure you complain a lot about bass rolloff and anemic lows, and go straight back to your glorious ATH-M50s.

Such is the way of the master race.

The Lyr 2, according to published material, has a tube VAS, a Mofset output stage (hence drive current does not come from tubes), and it is rated ~5W at ~40 Ohms. Which is plenty of power to drive the HE500.

It's still a tube amp that's being used with new production tubes. The stock Lyr is a bright amp. The HE-500 is borderline bright. And the Lyr's output impedance is still a mystery. Bad combination.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #262 of 280
Anything for around $400.00 or less? Sorry forgot to mention I can grab a used Lyr1 for around $270.00 and Modi 2 uber for $130.00 - was going to use this combo for HE-500.

Gustard H10? It's a V200 clone at fraction of the cost

Sent from my Oneplus Two via Tapatalk

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #263 of 280
Do you have any recommendation to use with HE-500 a40 under same price range.

Gustard H10. Does far better with planars than Lyr (2) at $100 less.

I'd also go for an LH Labs Geek Out 450 over the Modi 2 as far as DACs go. The GO450 pushes quite a bit more resolution and can improve if used from a Wyrd. There's also the new Geek Out v2 to consider, though I haven't heard it yet myself.

I haven't personally heard the Oppo equipment either, but that's because I've been consistently advised to stay away from it.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #264 of 280
OK I am definatlly picking up the Gustard H10 - How about DAC? I would need both toslink and usb inputs. Does lh labs have anything that has those inputs or any other dacs I should consider?

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #265 of 280
OK I am definatlly picking up the Gustard H10 - How about DAC? I would need both toslink and usb inputs. Does lh labs have anything that has those inputs or any other dacs I should consider?

Hmmmm, both USB and TOSLINK is a tough one.

There's the Modi 2 Uber, but that's not quite up to snuff with the Geek Out as far as performance/resolution goes. Not sure if Wyrd will do anything for it either.

Does your other source have both Coaxial and TOSLINK? If it does, and if (and that's only IF) you can find one for cheap, a Sonic Frontiers TransDAC and a Gustard U12 (USB to SPDIF converter) would be good. The U12 is necessary because the TransDAC only has a coax jack; no USB. Don't even pay any mind to the people trying to sell it for $500+ as it stops being worth it at around the $300 mark (especially if you want to use it with a PC).

There are other options that will perform as well or better than the Geek Out, but as far as I know none of them are under $500 and most are over $1k, so you're kind of stuck.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #266 of 280
As far as I know, the Assemblage DAC-1 is the same thing as the TransDac right? There's one going for $189 here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Assemblage-Digital-Processor-DAC-1-Made-In-Usa-/141759395566

I was going to get it before an offer for a Theta came up.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #267 of 280
As far as I know, the Assemblage DAC-1 is the same thing as the TransDac right? There's one going for $189 here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Assemblage-Digital-Processor-DAC-1-Made-In-Usa-/141759395566

I was going to get it before an offer for a Theta came up.

No idea. Never heard of Assemblage. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #268 of 280
I liked the Burson Soloist SL with the HE-500, it should not be that expensive and worth consideration.

Back to replying to the original topic, upgrading from the Shure SRH940 to the HE-500 with the soloist in the first day don't really give me any wow factor, kinda like "that's it?" kind of feeling, but after half a year my HE-500 have a rubber O-ring cracked on the hinges, which I send back to HiFiman and there's a week or so I don't have the HE-500 with me. During that period I picked out my dusted SRH940 and feels like "what the... where's the clarity and engaging feel I got with the HE-500?"

Personally I think for the high end neutral sounding headphones (HE-500, HE560, HEK from Hifiman, Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Stax SR009 etc.), most people won't notice an immediate wow factor upgrading from entry audiophile-ish phones, they don't have the massive jump in both detail and the very noticeable bass which can't be reproduced by crappy ear buds from a phone bundle. But the ****ty part is that when you didn't immediately sell your new great neutral sounding headphone and get used to it, going back to say the ATH-M50 will be quite a pain, which will be sad for your wallet

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #269 of 280

I use a gustard X12 with my Gustard H10 which is a great pairing. I originally had a bifrost uber which worked too, but I like the gustard X12 pairing alot more then i ever did the bifrost uber(non usb). The Gustard X12 has usb,I2s,Coaxial,Optical and AES/EBU inputs. Gustard X12 range from 450-519 and if you lucky there might be a drop going for it on massdrop, I know amazon carries the Gustard X12 for the same price range some times.

May 8, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #270 of 280
Hi !

Couldn't agree more ! It is as if I wrote your review myself.

I am in quite the same situation, moving from $150-$300 range to the HE-500 expecting to be blown away as many reviewers said.

It is such an underwhelming experience that I fell so bummed spending $500 on them + Schiit Mangi 2 + Modi 2 Uber stack.

I also got to the conclusion that mids, especially women vocals are very good, but besides that all the rest is quite mediocre.

Thinking maybe I got a defective pair, now after reading your honest review I understand that it is what it is..

I have bad hearing but still can tell the difference. I will most definitely try to sell them on ebay but keep the Schiit stack.

Before that I will try to follow some suggestions here and replace the Pleather pads with Focus-A and listen for more hours.

My conclusion so far is that hearing and personal preferences are far more important than brand or glowing reviews. Sadly, I didn't have the time to listen to them for more than few minutes before buying -huge mistake on my side.

I guess jumping to the Audiophile pool is not for everyone. Beyond the $300 mark, headphones improvement is non-linear.  I will try others that might suit my taste better , maybe more V shaped warm tone ones like V-Mode M100, AKG entry level or even M50

Lesson learned the hard way

AG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back