Hifiman HE-500 or Sennheiser HD 650
Jan 5, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #106 of 127
Interesting comments about the HE-500 being bright as I find the treble somewhat recessed and some coloration in probably what is the lower mids or upper bass registers. Never bright. Running it off a DACmini is a dream! Highly recommended and can't wait to try an audeze vegan pad on the cans to see how that goes. Perhaps a silver cable may yield a bit more detail on the top end but not particularly bright. Nevertheless, an enjoyable can that is natural but not what most consider neutral.

If your budget is $600 then a bit more can also supply you with a very good headphone amp/dac package in the DACmini. And if you so wish you can get a more powerful amp at a later stage to suit your needs. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #107 of 127
I currently own both HD650 and HE500. And in my opinion there is no contest the HE500 win hands down. I am new to this community so can't really tell you in the exact terminology but i would say that a piano sounds like a real piano on HE500. There is more air and depth to the music. The vocals are excellent on HE 500 . Just overall you get a better experience with HE 500. But the HD 650 give them a fair fight. I think if you have the budget go for the HE 500 they are really a very good pair of headphone. But give them atleast min 30hrs of burn in.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #108 of 127
The HD650 are fairly dark and warm sounding, a laid back signature, some people call it a veil (which is technically a wrong term me thinks), it's just it's sound sig. The HD650's scale very well with certain high-end amp's though or a few OTL tube amps (Crack as example).

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #109 of 127
With velours HE500s do sound slightly problematic at times (a little too much 10kHz peak, and too little mid~upper midrange body) and with pleathers they also are a little wonky (treble sounds too dim and rolled-off, while midrange has a lot of glare and ringing issues), however with my Jergpad earpad mod the balance becomes exemplary in the upper half of the frequency response.

The tough thing is you have to mutilate your pleather pads to do this mod, so once you start attempting the mod, there is no going back.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #111 of 127
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #112 of 127
So...
Long due....
And probably also in the wrong forum but since I posted here before....

I have now had the Hifiman HE-500s for over two month, I thought I'd chime in on some thoughts.

First, I want to let everyone know where I'm coming from.

I'm not the usual head-fi-expert. In fact, I dont really have much experience with head-phones at all at a serious level.

I have had about 10 different, self-bought cans on my own - and the most expensive of them, except from the Hifiman He-500 is the in-ear Ultimate Ears Triple fi's 10 pro.

Althou I like them (the Ultimate Ears) to some extent, they didn't cut it for me (a different topic)...

This is in contrast to big, floorstanding speakers, where my passion really lies!

I have had the usual floor speaker to Eltax Camargue floor speaker to Hales System One Sig to Audio Physic Scorpio 2 to Audio Physic Avanti 3 to QRS Neptunus etc.

These are all very capable speakers!
But I kept on changing them becuase I felt something was missing...

The last pairs of speakers at a high end I owned were the QRS and although I felt they were very satisfying, I decided to move on to headphones because of my family situation. I have two kids and I had a hard time finding time to listen to them.

Enter headphones (and no regrets)!

I have always loved the intimate sound of headphones.
They tend to create the sound "in your head" as oppose to speakers that create the sound "out of your head". To each his own.

It is not nessecarily bad to have a sound created in your head - this is merely a preference of sound.

And here are my thoughts on Hifiman HE-500.

Let e begin with saying - WOW!

The most important thing in musical reproduction for me is involvment, dynamics, clearity, neutrality and coherancy.

He-500 meet these demands very well!

Out of these criterias, dynamics stand out the most.

This will show at any level - play any very well familiar song with them and you will notice the emotion of the artist as intended (imo).

The bass in particular is very good, almost at the level of QRS Neptunus. 
I however feel that the Hifimans have an edge with coherancy over the QRS's.

The detail of Audio Physic Avanti is hard to overcome. HE-500 are almost there and they have the bass impact the Avanti lack!

The midrange of Hales speakers is probably famous in USA. However, in Europe (where im from), Hales are unknown. 
HE-500 are'nt in the league of Hales midrange (imo), maybe due to the fact the most Hales configurations are closed (fast) and all Hifimans are open (slower) but the HE-500 are scaringly real and vivid when it comes to voices. You feel the emotion wether it is intended to feel as front row or 15th row - doesn't matter.

Soundstage wise headphones can't compare to speakers.
You can never get the depth of a good set of speakers with headphones.
But sometimes when I want to be real intimate with the music, I still prefer headphones.

Music is all about affection, what triggers your inner movement, and headphones are (imo) better when you want your brain to take part of the process of "subduing" to the music.
Speakers are better if you want to relax to the music.

Clarity-wise, I have nothing to complain about.
I earlie wrote that the HE-500 have the perfect blend of emotion and clarity. I still stand by this claim.
Any more clarity would tend to lean closer to the Audio Physic range of speakers - that in my ear are VERY good speakers but a slight analystic.

There is nothing, information-wise, I miss with HE-500. It's all there, and in perfect blend.

The impact of individual instruments is stunning!
Pianos, with a very broad spectrum of octaves, are handled excellent, as are subtle textures such as pedal stomps (excuse my english).
Guitars feel alive as do anything really, played with the HE-500s.

If there is something to complain about, it would be the soundstage.

I miss the depth of the soundstage a good speaker can produce.
Altho the width and heigh are OK, nothing can compare to real depth of a room.
I have however never heard any headphone come close the to experience of a good speaker in this regard.

Finally, I should say, that these orthodynamics sound natural. With this I mean that no range of frequency sound out of order with these headphone. I thinik they sound very controlled, with a lovely treble that is NEVER bright.

They are somewhat dark and could be perceived as closed-in with the wrong amplifier- however I dont consider them closed-in on my La Figaro 339 (but they sounded terrible on a Burson of undisclosed model).

What I have found is however that the dark sound really appeal to me and that the more time I spend with them, the more I come to appreciate them in contrast to many other headphones where I first enjoy them just to eventually grow bored or exausted by the sound.

I appreciate this. I think they are capable of peeling of many layers of an onion. They feel like a long time investment.

I hope this is of any help to those seeking a really, really good headphone.
If you have any questions - feel free to shoot them at me!

And pardon if I sound distracted, I just wrote this text on impulse.

Br
SgtE

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #113 of 127
If when you go to a concert you take the bleacher seat and put cotton in your ears you will like the HD650s.

If when you go to a concert you like to be at the sbd then you will like the HE-500's.

If you like the sound of your new car's satellite radio don't bother with either.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #114 of 127
Quote:
So...
Long due....
And probably also in the wrong forum but since I posted here before....

I have now had the Hifiman HE-500s for over two month, I thought I'd chime in on some thoughts.

First, I want to let everyone know where I'm coming from.

I'm not the usual head-fi-expert. In fact, I dont really have much experience with head-phones at all at a serious level.

I have had about 10 different, self-bought cans on my own - and the most expensive of them, except from the Hifiman He-500 is the in-ear Ultimate Ears Triple fi's 10 pro.

Althou I like them (the Ultimate Ears) to some extent, they didn't cut it for me (a different topic)...

This is in contrast to big, floorstanding speakers, where my passion really lies!

I have had the usual floor speaker to Eltax Camargue floor speaker to Hales System One Sig to Audio Physic Scorpio 2 to Audio Physic Avanti 3 to QRS Neptunus etc.

These are all very capable speakers!
But I kept on changing them becuase I felt something was missing...

The last pairs of speakers at a high end I owned were the QRS and although I felt they were very satisfying, I decided to move on to headphones because of my family situation. I have two kids and I had a hard time finding time to listen to them.

Enter headphones (and no regrets)!

I have always loved the intimate sound of headphones.
They tend to create the sound "in your head" as oppose to speakers that create the sound "out of your head". To each his own.

It is not nessecarily bad to have a sound created in your head - this is merely a preference of sound.

And here are my thoughts on Hifiman HE-500.

Let e begin with saying - WOW!

The most important thing in musical reproduction for me is involvment, dynamics, clearity, neutrality and coherancy.

He-500 meet these demands very well!

Out of these criterias, dynamics stand out the most.

This will show at any level - play any very well familiar song with them and you will notice the emotion of the artist as intended (imo).

The bass in particular is very good, almost at the level of QRS Neptunus. 
I however feel that the Hifimans have an edge with coherancy over the QRS's.

The detail of Audio Physic Avanti is hard to overcome. HE-500 are almost there and they have the bass impact the Avanti lack!

The midrange of Hales speakers is probably famous in USA. However, in Europe (where im from), Hales are unknown. 
HE-500 are'nt in the league of Hales midrange (imo), maybe due to the fact the most Hales configurations are closed (fast) and all Hifimans are open (slower) but the HE-500 are scaringly real and vivid when it comes to voices. You feel the emotion wether it is intended to feel as front row or 15th row - doesn't matter.

Soundstage wise headphones can't compare to speakers.
You can never get the depth of a good set of speakers with headphones.
But sometimes when I want to be real intimate with the music, I still prefer headphones.

Music is all about affection, what triggers your inner movement, and headphones are (imo) better when you want your brain to take part of the process of "subduing" to the music.
Speakers are better if you want to relax to the music.

Clarity-wise, I have nothing to complain about.
I earlie wrote that the HE-500 have the perfect blend of emotion and clarity. I still stand by this claim.
Any more clarity would tend to lean closer to the Audio Physic range of speakers - that in my ear are VERY good speakers but a slight analystic.

There is nothing, information-wise, I miss with HE-500. It's all there, and in perfect blend.

The impact of individual instruments is stunning!
Pianos, with a very broad spectrum of octaves, are handled excellent, as are subtle textures such as pedal stomps (excuse my english).
Guitars feel alive as do anything really, played with the HE-500s.

If there is something to complain about, it would be the soundstage.

I miss the depth of the soundstage a good speaker can produce.
Altho the width and heigh are OK, nothing can compare to real depth of a room.
I have however never heard any headphone come close the to experience of a good speaker in this regard.

Finally, I should say, that these orthodynamics sound natural. With this I mean that no range of frequency sound out of order with these headphone. I thinik they sound very controlled, with a lovely treble that is NEVER bright.

They are somewhat dark and could be perceived as closed-in with the wrong amplifier- however I dont consider them closed-in on my La Figaro 339 (but they sounded terrible on a Burson of undisclosed model).

What I have found is however that the dark sound really appeal to me and that the more time I spend with them, the more I come to appreciate them in contrast to many other headphones where I first enjoy them just to eventually grow bored or exausted by the sound.

I appreciate this. I think they are capable of peeling of many layers of an onion. They feel like a long time investment.

I hope this is of any help to those seeking a really, really good headphone.
If you have any questions - feel free to shoot them at me!

And pardon if I sound distracted, I just wrote this text on impulse.

Br
SgtE

What pads u used in the review? Velours or the pleathers? The pleathers tend to make the sound more cupped in..with less soundstage compared to the velours..i have the 337 and soundstage is huge on my he500.. But i do have tungsolls 5998 in my 337..

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #116 of 127
Quote:
@Hifiman

I have so far only used the velour ones.

Idid find out that with the 5998 the sound changed completely..more airy compared to bendix/rca/svetlana tubes..but they are expensive though..butworth the money.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #117 of 127
@Hifiman

Yeah, I'm also using the 5998s, together with rca reds 5693. I almost like Sylvania 7236 as much as the 5998s tho. The 5998 are not "leagues ahead" in my book. If you like airyness, I acctually think you will prefer the 7236. 5998 are more about heft, body and tubiness (whatever that is) imo.
Br SgtE

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #118 of 127
Quote:
@Hifiman

Yeah, I'm also using the 5998s, together with rca reds 5693. I almost like Sylvania 7236 as much as the 5998s tho. The 5998 are not "leagues ahead" in my book. If you like airyness, I acctually think you will prefer the 7236. 5998 are more about heft, body and tubiness (whatever that is) imo.
Br SgtE

I also tried the rca reds 5693 with the 5998.. But i choose the tubg sol sj7gt mesh plates.... I heard chatham is also a good alternative...

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #119 of 127
Quote:
@Hifiman

Br SgtE

+1

i find the tung sol 5998 slightly better than the 7236 (smoother with a bit more transparency,though  the 7236 are very nice tubes as well, with more neutrality and tightness/control, not as warm either).

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #120 of 127
Quote:

+1

i find the tung sol 5998 slightly better than the 7236 (smoother with a bit more transparency,though  the 7236 are very nice tubes as well, with more neutrality and tightness/control, not as warm either).

I have to try those 7236.. Am curious now..i tried svetlana's (cold ss sounding) and the bendix 6080 WB with graphite solid plates ( heavy bass, strong sound, bit less refined then 5998, high gain)..but until now i like the 5998 most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back