HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #8,026 of 20,374
  All I know is my HE500 sounded like poop out of FiiO E17, back before I got a real amp.

Lol.  Don't be too harsh on the E17.  I think it's a little wonder for the price though it can't compare with your real amp. 
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #8,027 of 20,374
  Lol.  Don't be too harsh on the E17.  I think it's a little wonder for the price though it can't compare with your real amp. 
tongue.gif

Everything else sounded decent out of it, just not HE500.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #8,029 of 20,374
Do you guys think the Lyr and Bifrost is sufficient with my HE500? I was using the JDSLabs 02/ODAC combo before this and it sounded very neutral and boring just like the 02 is meant to deliver. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #8,030 of 20,374
  Do you guys think the Lyr and Bifrost is sufficient with my HE500? I was using the JDSLabs 02/ODAC combo before this and it sounded very neutral and boring just like the 02 is meant to deliver. 

Lyr and Bifrost combo would be a great starting point for HE500 if you want tube.  For SS, IMO, there's cheaper and better choice as far as amp is concerned.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #8,031 of 20,374
Lyr and Bifrost combo would be a great starting point for HE500 if you want tube.  For SS, IMO, there's cheaper and better choice as far as amp is concerned.

U mean the emo..kuch..kuch..? :D

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #8,034 of 20,374
U mean the emo..kuch..kuch..?
biggrin.gif

Nope, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I was referring to 337.  Wait, nvm.  That's a tube amp.  
size]

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #8,036 of 20,374
Does that outperform the Lyr? 

EDIT: whats the difference between tube and SS?

I cannot answer that one never heard the emo.

Its a speaker amp though you should know and its solid state. It is supposed to be very very good with orthos mind you the lyr is great with them as well.

I'd answer the second question as well but I'm posting this on the train. off to the football - preliminary final. Go hawks.

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #8,037 of 20,374
I cannot answer that one never heard the emo.

Its a speaker amp though you should know and its solid state. It is supposed to be very very good with orthos mind you the lyr is great with them as well.

I'd answer the second question as well but I'm posting this on the train. off to the football - preliminary final. Go hawks.

Oh. May you please explain the differences between a tube amp and solid state? I hear people say stuff like "I prefer a "tubey" sound" I just dont quite understand... 
confused.gif

BTW, who is in your display picture Leliana?

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #8,039 of 20,374
Does that outperform the Lyr? 

EDIT: whats the difference between tube and SS?

Tip...google for : differences between tube and solid state amps

And u cant just say all SS amps are cold sounding...as u have different kind of SS amps..example: opamp based amps tend to sound warmer then a discrete built amp...

and about tube amps... U have full tube amps (like the wonderfull 337 i had or woo audio amps) and hybrids (like the lyr) and every single tube amp sound different...some sound warmer then others..

last year i had sylvania powertubes in the 337 and people said it sounded like a bit warm sounding SS amp..one woo audio owner even said he hated the sound as it didnt sound like a tube amp at all with those tubes.

My advice before u start reading and get lost in all contradiction: go to a meeting or a higher quality audio shop.. D listen two both kind of amps...advice..try to compare a more expensive tube amp..as the cheaper ones tend to sound bad compared to a regular SS amp as its more expensive to built a tube amp then a SS amp in general..

JUST listen to both ways of amping.. u have many in between as i just explained...

Ps.planars generally dont go well with FULL tube amps..there are a few who do..being the WA7 and the 337/339 and few others..

Some things about tube amps:u can change the sound to ur likings by tube rolling(=changing tubes and emptying ur wallet in a big way..lolz)..
tubes need to be replaced after a while..
tube amps are less economic with electricity!.a SS amp has lower running costs..until it breaks down..then ur f...cked..as its much harder to repair a SS amp compared to a regular tube amp...
my 337 had one positive..on colder winter days i didnt need to warm up the room..as the heat my 337 generated when on was enough to keep me warm when i was closeby while listening!! :wink:
And tube amps tend to look more sexy and romantic at night..there is nothing sexier then 4tubes glowing in the dark when they are warm
Tubeamps need to warm up before they are on their best (15-30min)
And the 337 i owned had some particular ways..like u couldnt switch it on or off while the headphones were connected..and had to wait 15sec before u did..and wen switching on or off u had to put volume on zero..u couldnt switch it on immediately after switching off..u had to wait at least 5min...and some other thingies..first weeks i used a paper with those things written on it when i bought it :D

Hope u now have an idea..as i siad..u can find this also on google..good luck with it.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #8,040 of 20,374
Colder Solid State amps if you live in a warmer climate like I do, and wamer Tube amps if you live in a cold environment! 
biggrin.gif
 Google is your friend and wants to help you!

A lot of the differences in sound between the two are related to how harmonics, distortion etc. are handled. It is impossible to generalise though, there are SS sounding valve amps and tubey sounding SS amps, in the end both are tools to obtain the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back