HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #7,636 of 20,376
  I'm quite shocked that someone such as yourself who clearly has some very nice kit has got sucked in by the power = volume camp. Power required to achieve volume is an almost worthless calculation. HIFIMAN recommend a MINIMUM OF 1 Watt for the HE500 and that is straight from Fang himself.  Running the HE500 on 343mV ( probably closer to 450-550 with an impedance of 38ish) is criminal, its like having a Porsche with a Lada engine in it.  

Most specifications are next to meaningless to as the designers can use clever mechanisms to lower a certain published specification while butchering non-public specs.  My example being using large amounts of negative feedback to reduce THD but degrade the sound quality, which was the rage in the 1980’s. 

Fair point about the two box solution being more flexible upgrade wise, completely fair point.  

Either way, it honestly makes very little difference to me as im very happy with my set-up.  I would just hate to see someone who has read so much good about the HE500 to end up being disappointed.

Without going too much further off topic, it's well known that HifiMan is consistently off on their specs, so please refrain from telling me i'm "getting sucked in". Second, that table i posted is based on actual measurements, not specs. I do agree that amp/DAC specs do lack how they came upon their conclusion, it's too bad manufacturers don't provide more detail.

You're also right that it does make little difference as long as you're happy, I never bashed the Compass 2 but i did state objectively as i could about components used and specs that were missing. I doubt he would be disappointed with either setup.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #7,637 of 20,376
(brunk + DanPluck)/2 = The golden middle way

Go for an amplifier that can actually drive the HE-500, preferably over 1 watt to be sure... It is noted by many that more power generally does make a difference, though there are always exceptions...

Don't compare specs across products, unless we are talking output power cuz it is quite important to know if an amp can power your headphones properly.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #7,638 of 20,376
  (brunk + DanPluck)/2 = The golden middle way

Go for an amplifier that can actually drive the HE-500, preferably over 1 watt to be sure... It is noted by many that more power generally does make a difference, though there are always exceptions...

Don't compare specs across products, unless we are talking output power cuz it is quite important to know if an amp can power your headphones properly.

That's true about comparing specs, but it's the best information we have available without actually being able to demo the product. Power output is definitely very important for the load you want to drive, but if both can power the HE-500 adequately then we are able to move on and compare other objective/subjective things. :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #7,639 of 20,376
Would be quite neat to get one of those lepai amps and sell my x-can. Are they obtainable in eu?

Ebay and lots of places have a ton of them. Lepai 2020a+

I love it when I find contentment with less priced gear that leaves a smile on my face, that's all that matters :)

Absolutely.

My favorite thing about the Lepai amp with the HE-500 is choosing between direct (low noise, direct signal), or tone control (higher noise). Cranking up the bass knob on it gives the HE-500 some serious bass without compromising the mids and highs, unlike a software EQ like in foobar would. I could never get that to sound right or give me the bass I wanted with the Audio-GD via PC. This can. The compromise is that you hear some hiss when there is no audio playing, unless you use direct mode without the bass boost. Still, for $20 the effect is outstanding, and the amp costs less than the cable used to hook up to the speaker amp itself from the HE-500.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #7,640 of 20,376

Without going too much further off topic, it's well known that HifiMan is consistently off on their specs, so please refrain from telling me i'm "getting sucked in". Second, that table i posted is based on actual measurements, not specs. I do agree that amp/DAC specs do lack how they came upon their conclusion, it's too bad manufacturers don't provide more detail.

You're also right that it does make little difference as long as you're happy, I never bashed the Compass 2 but i did state objectively as i could about components used and specs that were missing. I doubt he would be disappointed with either setup.

Manufacturers specifications are a dangerous game as there are near infinite variables which can influence the outcome.  I came from a Matrix M-Stage which puts out similar power into the HE500 when compared with the A100 and the additional power the Compass 2 outputs made a huge difference.  Separation opened out, bass firmed up etc etc.

I have also used a number of vintage receivers with the HE500 and they are without doubt the biggest bargain in audio.  The low wattage (10-50w) receivers from the 70's do an impressive job of driving orthodynamics and can be had for peanuts (<£50).  I currently have a Marantz 2010 (10w) and a Sony STR-6036 (18w) and they both sound wonderful with the HE500.  Its a shame the wife doesn't think the same, otherwise id keep them both!

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #7,641 of 20,376
I'm quite shocked that someone such as yourself who clearly has some very nice kit has got sucked in by the power = volume camp. Power required to achieve volume is an almost worthless calculation. HIFIMAN recommend a MINIMUM OF 1 Watt for the HE500 and that is straight from Fang himself.  Running the HE500 on 343mV ( probably closer to 450-550 with an impedance of 38ish) is criminal, its like having a Porsche with a Lada engine in it.  

Most specifications are next to meaningless to as the designers can use clever mechanisms to lower a certain published specification while butchering non-public specs.  My example being using large amounts of negative feedback to reduce THD but degrade the sound quality, which was the rage in the 1980’s. 

Fair point about the two box solution being more flexible upgrade wise, completely fair point.  

Either way, it honestly makes very little difference to me as im very happy with my set-up.  I would just hate to see someone who has read so much good about the HE500 to end up being disappointed.

Hi Dan, I know you own the compass 2 sabre and the he 500. Do you like this setup or would you rather have individual components? Would the sabre also sound good with the grado Sr 80i?
Btw I live in the UK so shipping costs do make both the compass 2 and the modi and yulong A100 the same price.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #7,642 of 20,376
Hi Dan, I know you own the compass 2 sabre and the he 500. Do you like this setup or would you rather have individual components? Would the sabre also sound good with the grado Sr 80i?
Btw I live in the UK so shipping costs do make both the compass 2 and the modi and yulong A100 the same price.

Well, im very happy with the set-up as it fits my needs perfectly.  I would imagine the sabre would sound good with anything, I really love the sound signature it gives.  I started off with a Stoner Acoustics UD100 which was my first exposure to the sabre and it was love at first sound.  I do get the point that multiple boxes are more flexible upgrade wise but personally it has done me a favour as it is keeping my upgraditis in check and the wife slightly happier than she has been!

I previously owned the SR125i and the Alessandro MS2i which i used with the UD100/Matrix M-Stage combo and I was very happy.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #7,643 of 20,376
La
Well, im very happy with the set-up as it fits my needs perfectly.  I would imagine the sabre would sound good with anything, I really love the sound signature it gives.  I started off with a Stoner Acoustics UD100 which was my first exposure to the sabre and it was love at first sound.  I do get the point that multiple boxes are more flexible upgrade wise but personally it has done me a favour as it is keeping my upgraditis in check and the wife slightly happier than she has been!

I previously owned the SR125i and the Alessandro MS2i which i used with the UD100/Matrix M-Stage combo and I was very happy.

Lastly, I'm 15 but I have a real passion for music, do you think this is too much money for such a young person?
My desk is pretty small, would the compass 2 9018 be too big or does it come with a long USB cable so I can move it somewhere somewhere else but still have it connected to my laptop?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #7,644 of 20,376
^^ It would fit, but you would lose alot of precious real estate. If you really value your space, the Schiit Modi/Magni stack is about as small as it gets and will look really good on your desk too.

EDIT: Compass 2 dimensions. Measure and see for yourself.
W240 X L320 X H80 (MM, Fully aluminium ) 

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #7,645 of 20,376
I'm 17, guess I have spent north of 2k so far, lol. I'll try to do the math.

EDIT: Got it to a wopping 2750$ going off memory. Oops, forgot the fiio e17, 2930$ then.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #7,646 of 20,376
T
^^ It would fit, but you would lose alot of precious real estate. If you really value your space, the Schiit Modi/Magni stack is about as small as it gets and will look really good on your desk too.

Tbh I don't really care about space, would the cable that comes with the compass 2 be long enough to reach 3 feet to my laptop?

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #7,647 of 20,376
I went from a Burson HA-160 to a Schiit Mjolnir which is way more powerful(8 watts into 32Ohm) and gained very little in terms of performance. Actually I found that the Burson is slightly more refined. That makes me think quality is more important than quantity when driving the HE-500s.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #7,648 of 20,376
  I went from a Burson HA-160 to a Schiit Mjolnir which is way more powerful(8 watts into 32Ohm) and gained very little in terms of performance. Actually I found that the Burson is slightly more refined. That makes me think quality is more important than quantity when driving the HE-500s.

Yep, I have stated before that the HE-500/HE-6 really doesn't play well with the Mjolnir, but the HE-5LE does. I am also a believer of quality over quantity with amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back