HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #7,396 of 20,386
Quote:
The weight is why I want to sell mine. 

I find them pretty bad if you are sitting at a desk in an upright position for too long. My only issue is, where do i go for a lighter but, similar sounding headphone without spending too much? and that is why I still have them :/

That's exactly why I sold them. I sit at a desk in a comfortable chair much of my day. The weight caused me neck and back pain. Sure I like the sound but at what price. I bought Beyer T1's and relax with them all day long. If I could find an ortho under 375 grams I would buy it. None exist that I know of. There is some discussion about if it is really safe to wear over 500 grams of weight on your head for prolonged periods. Long term neck and spine injury is no joke.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #7,397 of 20,386
Quote:
i wanna say the same thing to u, get th-900 lol
wink.gif

I've been working on modding/improving my LSD-3's for about a month. It's much, much better than what I started with. Started at a bit better than LCD-2  with the softer pads, now currently almost at a Denon like comfortability, minus the weight. I've managed to beat the typical trade off less clamping force in exchange for a weird pressure at the top, and vice versa. Even though the soundstage hasn't changed by a lot, for some reason it feels much more open. Gotta make sure it's not me just hallucinating from all that LSD, but been doing good for 2 weeks now. Digging the sound and a comfort a lot more now.

LOL also I keep loving my D2000 more and more. The TH-900 will happen, just don't know when. There's also SR-007 which I might get to audition sometime soon in the future.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #7,399 of 20,386
The weight was bad about the first day or two then my body/head got used to it very fast.  Keep in mind I listen to music a minimum of 10 hours.  at least 15+ hours on my off days sitting on the computer at home and taking little breaks to eat, pee, poop, etc.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #7,400 of 20,386
Quote:
Haha, HD650?  I know they don't touch the planars in the bass department, but everything else about them is pretty great.  I finally heard a Denon D5000 today and thought it sounded quite good, so maybe either that or one of the newer Fostex,

Actually a great idea. I know I can still go and back forth between the planars and my D2000, so a DX000 model or a TH-X000 could work just as well and still keep the bass.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #7,401 of 20,386
I had the HD 650's and initially liked them, then found them too boring, on the plus side they are amazingly comfortable. 

Zoom. I have a Corda Classic as an amp, im actually looking at the T1's or T90's. 

I also think 500-600g on your head is too much, especially if your posture is not 100% correct, Yep there gone, its a shame, they sound quite amazing, and I thought they were end game.....

back for sale and the search continues haha. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #7,402 of 20,386

I've been working on modding/improving my LSD-3's for about a month. It's much, much better than what I started with. Started at a bit better than LCD-2  with the softer pads, now currently almost at a Denon like comfortability, minus the weight. I've managed to beat the typical trade off less clamping force in exchange for a weird pressure at the top, and vice versa. Even though the soundstage hasn't changed by a lot, for some reason it feels much more open. Gotta make sure it's not me just hallucinating from all that LSD, but been doing good for 2 weeks now. Digging the sound and a comfort a lot more now.

LOL also I keep loving my D2000 more and more. The TH-900 will happen, just don't know when. There's also SR-007 which I might get to audition sometime soon in the future.

facepalm

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #7,403 of 20,386
Quote:
I had the HD 650's and initially liked them, then found them too boring, on the plus side they are amazingly comfortable. 

Zoom. I have a Corda Classic as an amp, im actually looking at the T1's or T90's. 

Going the Beyer route eh....well, I hear Staxes are pretty light as well
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #7,404 of 20,386
Sep 1, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #7,405 of 20,386
Let's keep in mind the subjective nature of what we are talking about - weight included:

My HE-500s weigh in at: 513g with pads and additional headband strap and don't really care much for weight difference when I compared to a friends AD700 sitting next to me (~280g). To each his/her own but I don't mind the weight. They call me Arnie of the headphone world. Whoever was asking the question about weight should consider if this is indeed going to be a problem. Other phone weights mentioned:

LCD-2: 550g (from the net and not sure which of numerous revisions)
Beyer T1: 350g (from Amazon)

Apparently, the HD-650s have been likened to the LCD-2 if cost saving is also playing a role in decision and (I apologise) for whoever wrote the question in the first place. These are cans which have been compared to HE-500s quite a number of times.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #7,406 of 20,386
I initially had some issues with the headphone weight in the beginning, but my neck muscles soon adapted and now I can wear them for extended periods without any discomfort. The pads also don't bug me at all, even when wearing glasses. Comfort is definitely a subjective thing, I came from the Grado RS1i, which I had difficulty wearing even for 1 hour and they caused serious discomfort with glasses, so in comparison with the Grado's the HE-500s are bliss. The Sennheiser HD580 were fantastically comfortable and lightweight with a little bit more clamp, but I also find them a little bit too neutral and boring to really warm up to them.

Head-fiers who are looking for a more exciting sound with good quality bass (better than the HE-500) I could definitely point to the Sennheiser HD700. I demo'ed them for a couple of minutes at our local hifi store and they had excellent bass and an exciting sound sig, but there are some slightly weird things about the sound (mids sound a bit weird and has a peak in the lower treble), but it could be that that particular headphone hasn't had any extended burn in time. They are supremely comfortable though and look pretty good. Their RRP is a bit over the top, but if you can find them at a discount, could be an interesting option to look at.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #7,407 of 20,386
I've never had trouble with weight of any headphone really, and I get in 6-7 hour sessions most of the time. My mother when she visits my home can listen to the LCD-2 for over an hour, and she is 4'11 and <50kg. Depends a lot on posture. If you slump forward and have your head outside of the line of your body, you probably will feel that weight bearing down as your neck is trying to keep your head upright. Try getting a pillow to put behind your head if your chair is tall enough.

Quote:
I initially had some issues with the headphone weight in the beginning, but my neck muscles soon adapted and now I can wear them for extended periods without any discomfort. The pads also don't bug me at all, even when wearing glasses. Comfort is definitely a subjective thing, I came from the Grado RS1i, which I had difficulty wearing even for 1 hour and they caused serious discomfort with glasses, so in comparison with the Grado's the HE-500s are bliss. The Sennheiser HD580 were fantastically comfortable and lightweight with a little bit more clamp, but I also find them a little bit too neutral and boring to really warm up to them.

Head-fiers who are looking for a more exciting sound with good quality bass (better than the HE-500) I could definitely point to the Sennheiser HD700. I demo'ed them for a couple of minutes at our local hifi store and they had excellent bass and an exciting sound sig, but there are some slightly weird things about the sound (mids sound a bit weird and has a peak in the lower treble), but it could be that that particular headphone hasn't had any extended burn in time. They are supremely comfortable though and look pretty good. Their RRP is a bit over the top, but if you can find them at a discount, could be an interesting option to look at.

I've heard the HD700 for about an hour (store demo, guy said perhaps 10-15 hours at most on them), and agree with exactly what a lot of the waterfall plots and FR graphs show. It has a very unusual and untamed treble with 2 peaks I heard (3 on graph). Anyone considering these need to be careful whether they are listening to music that will cause you headaches with the treble spikes or if they listen loudly. I wasn't a fan, but they did have a nice warm lower end. Sub Bass still below the HE-500, mid bass YMMV. With EQ (I know some of you just cringed) maybe you could relax the treble a fair bit.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #7,408 of 20,386
That's exactly why I sold them. I sit at a desk in a comfortable chair much of my day. The weight caused me neck and back pain. Sure I like the sound but at what price. I bought Beyer T1's and relax with them all day long. If I could find an ortho under 375 grams I would buy it. None exist that I know of. There is some discussion about if it is really safe to wear over 500 grams of weight on your head for prolonged periods. Long term neck and spine injury is no joke.

It may be uncomfortalbe for some people but I don't really think there is much cause for concern over injuries from these headphones. 550 grams is barely more than a pound. Most motorcycle helmets weigh 1500+ grams and I've never heard of any injuries due to the weight of a helmet, even though some people may wear them for hours a day. A headphone's weight is more noticable because you are wearing it while in a relaxed state so any discomfort is immediately apparent. Just my $0.02.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #7,409 of 20,386
Let's keep in mind guys with these weight comments that in the end the weights that we may be comfortable living with or take as a compromise may not be what the questioner (Smoke Signals - yes I got the username) is willing to accept. We need to hear from Smoke Signals...can anyone think of way to contact him/her..????

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #7,410 of 20,386
Quote:
New HE-500 owner joining the club. I have about 8-10 hours on them. I bought them from the original owner off Craigslist. So far, definitely a step up from the AKG Q701s.

You may experience some bass slam that may shock you. Always keen to hear more impressions if you are willing comparing to the AKG Q701s (if you still have it). 

EDIT: Oh and welcome to head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back