HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 22, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #7,246 of 20,386
Quote:

I always wanted to try the SEX. Most people have high praise for the beta 22 if you're a DIY pro. It's a pretty complex build I hear.

Expensive too, especially if you go crazy with every options. Budget 2ch b22 can usually be found in the classifieds though.

Gainclone sounds pretty nice for the price - and cheap/tidy too (I think you can build one under 200, mounted on a wooden block of course). One can also DIY a budget clone of First Watt amp, or any famous speaker amp designs. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #7,248 of 20,386
Quote:
I just took delivery of a set of HE-500s and was expecting a male 4-pin XLR connector with a single ended adapter. Now I'm waiting for a nice Neutrik XLR connector from ebay so I can modify the cable to work with the Mjolnir. The HE-500s do sound good with the Aune T1 though.

Be sure to leave some impressions. I'm waiting my xlr cables to arrive too in order to use my Mjolnir. Must be here in 2 days at most.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #7,249 of 20,386
Has anyone tried the cheap Lepai amps from Parts Express as a speaker amp for these? I already have an audio-gd dac/amp, but I'd like to try to use it as a bedroom amp for my nexus>hifimediy dac>lepai>HE-500. It can easily push 5W RMS per channel without too much distortion, and can be modded somewhat easily inside.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #7,250 of 20,386
Quote:
Hi,
may I know how what DIY amps that can drive HE500? Or maybe somebody here have amps such as "The Wire" or "EHHA rev. A"

thanks
Nicko

The Bottlehead S.E.X. is probably the best kit-based tube amp option, something I was looking into before working with a friend on one of his designs.  For a more cost effective hybrid amp, I would suggest the Project Ember from Garage 1217:  http://www.garage1217.com/graphic_design_004.htm  It's fairly new, but they have a decent reputation with their other amps, and I'd be curious if anyone else has used their HE-500 with one yet.  The [size=small]β22 seems to be the better choice in the way of solid state designs, so unless you want to explore valve/tube designs you may have one of the best pairs already. [/size]
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #7,251 of 20,386
You guys are great.  Keeping things very constructive even when we disagree and accidentally say things we don't completely mean. 
biggrin.gif

I personally appreciate this kind of honesty from u all.  Great discussion.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #7,252 of 20,386
Quote:
The Bottlehead S.E.X. is probably the best kit-based tube amp option, something I was looking into before working with a friend on one of his designs.  For a more cost effective hybrid amp, I would suggest the Project Ember from Garage 1217:  http://www.garage1217.com/graphic_design_004.htm  It's fairly new, but they have a decent reputation with their other amps, and I'd be curious if anyone else has used their HE-500 with one yet.  The [size=small]β22 seems to be the better choice in the way of solid state designs, so unless you want to explore valve/tube designs you may have one of the best pairs already. [/size]
tongue.gif

+1 for the Project Ember. I've had mine for a few weeks now and have been using my HE-500's with it almost exclusively. Currently using some Telefunken 12AU7 tubes on the Ember (rolling tubes on this thing is super easy by the way) and I have to say I prefer it over my Lyr (using stock tubes so not really a fair comparison I guess).

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #7,253 of 20,386
Quote:
 +1 for the Project Ember. I've had mine for a few weeks now and have been using my HE-500's with it almost exclusively. Currently using some Telefunken 12AU7 tubes on the Ember (rolling tubes on this thing is super easy by the way) and I have to say I prefer it over my Lyr (using stock tubes so not really a fair comparison I guess).

I really like the look of the Ember. Prettyyyy...

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #7,254 of 20,386
The Project Ember should be a very nice amp for the HE-500, though I thought the Emotiva mini-X was better than the Project Sunrise 2, but might just be a SS vs tube preference on my side. I've seen little comparisons between the PS2 and the Ember, so its difficult to compare how they would stack up. One thing I don't like about the Garage1217 designs is that they pick up lots of interference because of the open chassis. While it definitely looks nice, I couldn't keep my cellphone anywhere near it. I also got hiss on my IEMs, but the Ember looks to be designed for a wider range of headphones so perhaps its quieter by design.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #7,255 of 20,386
Quote:
tongue.gif

Here's another killer option thats easy for first time DIYers that was developed by Nelson Pass. The Amp Camp Amp monoblocks for $269, everything included.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #7,256 of 20,386
i have the utmost respect for u guys able to assemble such a DIY kit...i mean it...i take my hat off for u!! funny thing is that building a high end pc is peanuts for me..but somehow seeing all those resistors and having to solder switches some of my braincells off
eek.gif

i wouldnt be able to assemble even the simplest diy amp.(i even killed two pairs of pads while trying the jerg mod!..so i bought the excellent modular pads in the end! 
biggrin.gif
)..but luckily for me (and others like me) there are extremely capable people all over the world who can make amps for u and with the exact same specs u want it to be..and some can go very extreme for u(powered by car batteries/solar power/battery packs/external PSU's or built in lady pumps/pc housings on sand bases etc etc etc!). as long u wanna pay for it....  lucky for us people with two left hands those people exist!
gs1000.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,257 of 20,386
Is it a bad thing the project ember is exose like that? Just looking T it make me nervous, it be pretty cool if they have an option for a close casing for it.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #7,259 of 20,386
Last time I tried to assemble a PC, I destroyed my mobo and my processor almost went as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back