HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #6,931 of 20,374
Also, when coming off from HE-500 to LCD-2, you'll notice a difference in treble. However, when you get used to it, you'll notice that the detail retrieval is actually right up there, just not elevated. Although the air aspect still goes to HE-500.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #6,932 of 20,374
Zoom25, do you have the LCD3 yet?  or is it on the way still?  If you already have it, please give me a short honest comparison to the HE500. 5 sentences :)

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #6,934 of 20,374
Quote:
Obviously, less than an hour into the cans, some serious burn-in needs to happen. However, one thing I am noticing, is that unlike my DT990s, or even AH-D7000, I am beginning to hear a difference between MP3 V2 and FLAC, where I haven;t really been able to hear before. I am not ABXing, merely letting my playlist run through, but it has been about 10 songs now, and I've been able to tell if it is MP3 less than VBR V2 (like CBR128) or not (FLAC, CBR320, etc.). Interesting.....I should really try again with the Denon's but I'm too lazy/enjoying the music.

With only a few hours in, I prefer the velour to the pleather at this point. I did have to bend the headband to have it lay flat on my head, but even so, the pleather sounded "muffled" in the mid zone. Now that may be b/c the cans need to open up with burn in, but the velour sounds crisper now without any noticeable sacrifice in the bass (using Porcupine Tree "Russia on Ice" as an ad hoc comparison).

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #6,935 of 20,374
Quote:
Zoom25, do you have the LCD3 yet?  or is it on the way still?  If you already have it, please give me a short honest comparison to the HE500. 5 sentences :)

Yup. Have had the LCD-3 for nearly 2 months now. LCD-2 for about 5 months when I sold them alongside with HE-500 at the same time, which I had for a year. Just to give you a timeline. Also, see my signature.

Now LCD-3 vs HE-500. Hmmm okay.

Engaging - Let's start with LCD-2 actually. For some LCD-2 has good mids and bass coherency, but it starts falling at upper mids/treble. Take your pick. I personally got used to it over months and loved it. It was the least fatiguing and yet exciting combo I had.

HE-500 is more balanced, although still has some faults across the FR. For example, the bass is loose compared to Audeze. LCD-3 is the most coherent across the board and more engaging. It flows from one end to the other. You tend to lose sight of that horrid "bass, mids and treble" approach. 

Checklist of things LCD-3 does better over HE-500:
- Vocals all around, no exceptions!
- Bass extension
- Bass quantity/control
- Sub bass rumble, quantity and extension (very similar to my D2000 surprisingly)
- More 3D
- All around better FR coherency
- Comfort (softer and larger ear pads)
- Depth (soundstage)
- Tonality
- Transients
- Blackground
- Speed
- Detachable cable
- Stock cable is far superior on the LCD-2/3
- Smoother(est) FR
-

Checklist of things HE-500 does better over LCD-3:
- somewhat speaker like presentation
- Airy sound
- Treble extension
- Instrument separation (amp dependent, although LCD-3 is quite good)

Overall recommendation: LCD-3. Highly recommended.

Disclaimer: Also, I try to keep the price out of the equation as much possible, within reasonable limits of course. I value my stuff like D2000 and SE215 quite highly despite their low prices and sometimes prefer them over the planars. Also, I don't buy the whole cost to performance to enjoyment ratio. LCD-3 costs double that of LCD-2. Does the LCD-3 offer "double" the performance of LCD-2? Umm for different people on different setups this will differ and that is fine. I usually hear 20% better on LCD-3's performance. My problem is when performance, say of 20% is equated to a 20% increase in happiness. It's full on bullship IMO. For me with some genres, that extra 20% or whatever the difference is, equates to a FAR more than 20% increase in happiness.

Imagine being an olympic runner of a 100 meter sprint. You're currently the second fastest man in the world. The top sprinter has a time of 9.59 and you are currently at 9.64. You train and train for four years and finally are able to beat that man and also get a record of 9.55. Not a big difference in raw values and performance, but the joy you get when you're able to extend your performance a little bit and get the last bit out of it that you dearly wanted. That's priceless. 

That's my HONEST opinion. I seriously hope that analogy made some damn sense. Writing this crap as I go along at 2 am here in Canada.

Umm...did you say 5 sentences? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #6,936 of 20,374
Quote:
thanks zoom.....its seems like if I ever really want to upgrade I might be looking at LCD3, HD800 and T1 territory?  

Oh definitely the LCD-3. For both rock and electronic music together, I can easily recommend the LCD-3 over HE-500 and LCD-2. With LCD-3, you'll get a very high satisfaction for both genres.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #6,937 of 20,374
Quote:
i found similar things with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3.

i finally sold my LCD-2 now that i have LCD-3 since the LCD-3 is a much better headphone. though i do really like the LCD-2 bass presentation, its a little more neutral and tight with a more forward sound, it has more slam and mid-bass punch and impact.

Yup.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #6,938 of 20,374
lol Zoom25, that was 5^2 at least.  Thx for the short write up.  I will definitely search out some LCD3 at the meet this Saturday.  I have a really bad habit.  When i know for sure I like something, it tends to show ups at the office a few days after 
size]
  Next stop for me will be either HD800 or LCD3.  I got my DAC already taken care of.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #6,939 of 20,374
Quote:
lol Zoom25, that was 5^2 at least.  Thx for the short write up.  I will definitely search out some LCD3 at the meet this Saturday.  I have a really bad habit.  When i know for sure I like something, it tends to show ups at the office a few days after 
size]
  Next stop for me will be either HD800 or LCD3.  I got my DAC already taken care of.

LOL I have that same tendency. As I mention to others, remember to give it some time, especially those coming off HE-500 which is more energetic in treble.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #6,941 of 20,374
Quote:

Ultimately these things are why I sold off my LCD-2 way back when, and have never found the LCD-3 an appealing choice. I always have found hifimans to excel in these things

last night i had a dream about lcd-2 and he500 which i was showing to someone... i clearly preffered the he500 when i was trying to showoff some binaural recordings to him... strange that i could remember their prices but i couldn't remember the dr. Chesky's binaural album name(Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show)

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #6,942 of 20,374
You know you've been on head-fi too long when.....

Quote:

last night i had a dream about lcd-2 and he500 which i was showing to someone... i clearly preffered the he500 when i was trying to showoff some binaural recordings to him... strange that i could remember their prices but i couldn't remember the dr. Chesky's binaural album name(Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show)

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #6,943 of 20,374
Thanks for your thoughts Zoom.

Looks like HE-500's are probably end game for me then as I previously thought, as spending alot of extra cash is only going to result in minor improvements, (not night and day differences) and some hit or miss differences that I may or may not like. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #6,944 of 20,374
Quote:
You know you've been on head-fi too long when.....

Look who is talking:D:D... seriously, i don't dream about these things unless i am on the verge of buying something and i am losing patience... but i think this article is the culprit as i read it saw the video within before going to sleep last night...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/05/john-vanderslice/

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #6,945 of 20,374
For me, I find I'm comfortable with the HE-500 as my end-game full sized headphone.  I'd only ever consider picking up an LCD-3 if funds permit down the road to go along side of it, but right now I don't feel like I'm missing out or left wanting at this time.  While my demo of the LCD-3 was brief, I think I can agree with most of Zoom's points in comparing my experience from memory, and it truly is an impressive headphone.  It does do many things well, slightly better in some instances from the HE-500 and they are different enough that I could justify both.  All his positives on the HE-500 though are, as I've found, very enjoyable attributes of these headphones and would warrant me always having a pair of HiFiMans in my setup first and foremost.

That said, I think I'd prefer to get a good pair of near field monitors going in my setup before I looked into another pair of headphones. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back