HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #6,331 of 20,386
I heard he6 with ef6 and i did not like it. Impresive soundstage and refined sound but no fun for me. Again... Fuller sound with he500 + ef5. Im not missing the sound of 2 times expensive set when i listen mine :wink: He6 are better of course but for me they need heavy sounding tube amp.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #6,332 of 20,386
Quote:
any current HE500 owners here happens to have a mad dog or paradox?  I would like to hear your impression and experience.
I am entertaining the idea of getting a closed ortho pair.  I've been reading other threads but want to hear from people who still own their HE500.

I've got both the HE500 and alpha - Mad Dogs.  If you're looking for an ortho sound that's closed, the Mad Dog is a pretty good bet.  The He500, not surprisingly sounds more open and has a wider sound stage, but the Mad Dog is pretty darn good in that department for a closed headphone.  In terms of sound signature, it always reminds me of HD-650, a bit dark, but if you're specifically looking for something closed, you should definitely give it a try.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #6,333 of 20,386
The HE-500 get most of my head time again. I might switch to the LCD2 soon but I love that smooth sound.
The T1 is still my favorite for most of my playlist but I needed a more laid back / smoother sound with a less aggressive treble.
Paired with the Burson Soloist, they amaze me every day !
The best 600€ i've spent in my life :)

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #6,335 of 20,386
Quote:
Gratz,  like many of us, you will enjoy the HE500 tremendously.  I know I have and will for a long time.  I think Hifiman has hit the perfect perfomance/price balance here and some more.
What amp are you running the HE500 from, btw?

Nah, that ratio is actually stratospheric,  way higher than any phone ever I think.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #6,336 of 20,386
Quote:
Ok I admit tha i'm a little crazy about my setup so i decidet to give it another photo shoot :)

Beautiful shot.  Your other hobby must be photography.  No doubt.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #6,337 of 20,386
Quote:
Nah, that ratio is actually stratospheric,  way higher than any phone ever I think.

Can't argue with you there since HE500 is my 2nd HP purchase, after the Q701.  After hearing a few more, hopefully at the coming up meet, I would be able to reevaluate for sure :)

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #6,339 of 20,386
Quote:
Yeap
wink.gif
Thanks!

@Michbest,  what is your volume knob at on the EF-5 when driving the HE500?  I am looking an amp or possibly dac/amp for the office.  I am waiting to test out the WA7 at the meet next month but the EF5's price is great and still leaves $ for a dedicated DAC ($500)  and it has the look to sit on my desk @ the office.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #6,340 of 20,386
Any chance a Woo Audio WA6 with upgraded tubes can drive these?  Anyone have this combo?

I am using 6SN7 Driver tubes and a USAF-596 Rectifier.

Thanks

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6,341 of 20,386
Volume knobe is on 10 to 12 oclock depends on album loudness. I thought that big steps of knobe gonna give me problems but its ok once the amp is about 150 hours now. It was louder in the begining. Strange i know but the strangest thing is that this amp reacts on change of power cord. I think im going crazy! :wink:

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #6,342 of 20,386
Volume knobe is on 10 to 12 oclock depends on album loudness. I thought that big steps of knobe gonna give me problems but its ok once the amp is about 150 hours now. It was louder in the begining. Strange i know but the strangest thing is that this amp reacts on change of power cord. I think im going crazy! :wink:

10-12? Thats a bit high..but stil good..i never go over 9-10 with mine or else my ears hurt.

And Ur not going crazy..my tube amp (urs is a hybrid..so it should be less sensitive) is also very sensitive to power delivery..and the better the powercable..the better the powerdelivery.(in general..am not saying..more expensive..lolz)..until a certain point ofcourse...but one thing what hit me most was that when i connect the cables direct into the wall socket the sound looks like more open..u really have to concentrate to hear it..but its there..thats why mine is always connected directly in the wall sockets...i understand tube amps are a bit sensitive to powerdelivery..the solid states dont. A woo audio owner i know found out same thing..and now u..but hey..its also possible our brains massively fool us totally :D

hey can u give me some pointers how to make a decent pic from a dark object (amp/headphones)..as no matter how hard i try...i cant make it to work out... :p

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #6,343 of 20,386
Quote:
10-12? Thats a bit high..but stil good..i never go over 9-10 with mine or else my ears hurt.

And Ur not going crazy..my tube amp (urs is a hybrid..so it should be less sensitive) is also very sensitive to power delivery..and the better the powercable..the better the powerdelivery.(in general..am not saying..more expensive..lolz)..until a certain point ofcourse...but one thing what hit me most was that when i connect the cables direct into the wall socket the sound looks like more open..u really have to concentrate to hear it..but its there..thats why mine is always connected directly in the wall sockets...i understand tube amps are a bit sensitive to powerdelivery..the solid states dont. A woo audio owner i know found out same thing..and now u..but hey..its also possible our brains massively fool us totally
biggrin.gif

I don't think that's high at all.  I, by no mean, listen to music at crazy volume but even with running the HE500 off speaker taps from the Emotiva mini-X, volume knob is usually at 10 to 10:30.
Btw, anyone know of a formula to figure out power output in watts at different ohms ?  I know the Emotiva is rated at 50wpc for speakers but would like to calculate the wattage at different HP's loads.  Thx.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,344 of 20,386
Quote:
I don't think that's high at all.  I, by no mean, listen to music at crazy volume but even with running the HE500 off speaker taps from the Emotiva mini-X, volume knob is usually at 10 to 10:30.
Btw, anyone know of a formula to figure out power output in watts at different ohms ?  I know the Emotiva is rated at 50wpc for speakers but would like to calculate the wattage at different HP's loads.  Thx.

thaTS A good question..am wondering that also..as if thats true what u say that u use the powerful 50wpc emotiva on same position as my humble 1.5w mono per channel amp (u can see it on my pic) then i would love to see if there is a calculation or a way to check what an amp does under different ohms output to the HP's.
maybe anyone has an idea?

by the way..yesterday i tried a darkvoice 3322 of a friend of mine...rubbish sound on my he500! we even tried some of my quality tubes i have..and the knob went all the way to 3pm to get a decent volume..dont know what it was..but i just didnt like it...so i guess power IS IMPORTANT to get good sound out of the he500....and tubys are not the best choice for he500...but am glad i found one and ef5 (although its a hybrid..just like the LYR) is another and from what i read the wa7 is also possible a solution..although its on the weak side on power.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #6,345 of 20,386
12 oclock i really loud! I dond go further. Max is about 5 oclock so usual 11 oclock is just fine.
I allways connect amps directly to the wall. Just because i dont have audio surge protector. Protectors for computer and etc. flat out the dynamics and sound overall. But i guess everybody know that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back