HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #6,301 of 20,386
Quote:
All I can say is when I did the listening tests back when I was fooling around with regrilling, the only discernible difference was in the openness / upper treble extremes, I did not detect any significant change to bass or midrange, or low/mid treble for that matter.

No change in bass for me either when removing the grill cloth.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #6,302 of 20,386
Guys..u wont believe this..but there is actually another 339/he500 who says he loves his he500 with the 339... A miracle!!!!! Halleluah :D

Quote:

The base is OTL but the design and components are completely different. I can confirm the 339 can do a lot more headphones than the Crack. The HE-500 in example is horrible with the crack while I love it with the 339.
If you had both like me you would easily find out the crack is only good for high impedance headphones, it's perfect for sennheisers and Beyers though. Terrific sounding, can't compliment it enough. the sound however is completely different from the Lafigaro house sound. the 399 will be very flexible in that it can handle just about any impedence.

in another review, I see that the 339 takes from 25-600 ohm headphones.

I'll leave the techie talk to someone who knows what he's talking about

END QUOTE

Ihave found a fellow 337/339 owner who states he loves it with the he500..... Am not alone in this world anymore :wink:. Am soooooo happy... :p

Okay..was a bit offtopic...but couldnt resist..oopsie :D

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #6,303 of 20,386
@ hifimanrookie, are you that insecure about everything else or just your HP gear ? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #6,304 of 20,386
@ hifimanrookie, are you that insecure about everything else or just your HP gear ?  :D

Am not talking about ur multi 1000 watts of amp of 89usd?and saying its best u ever heard,its like having a small..... And compensating it with a BIG powered cheapish car with loud exhaust.. :D

Am i saying anything when u talk about ur stuff..nope..and if i do its completely ontopic...

I was just sharing info i found on another thread about this amp..so others can actually look around then just the emotiva or o2... Thats all....

and ur again doing it... Being personal...u dont know what job i have right? What car? What wife? Or the rest i have in my life..i dont need to show off..i have all i wanted in life....and maybe more..

I even tried to be funny with my post..did u see my smilies??? It looks like that when others talk about things u dont know about or disagree u try to act like a smartass and try to discredit their words...
Its not first time u do this... And i hope u get the insight that the way u sometimes post which has nothing to do with anything here on headfi can actually be bad for this thread..if u have something to share that we all can learn from..even if u not agree...then do it..if ur only to post personal smartass remarks..keep it to urself..thanks.

And plsss dont start with that we europeans dont understand the american humor way..as what u do is all but funny..in any language...in certain cultures its called herrasment even. And thats a fact.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,305 of 20,386
Quote:
Am not talking about ur multi 1000 watts of amp of 89usd?and saying its best u ever heard,its like having a small..... And compensating it with a BIG powered cheapish car with loud exhaust..
biggrin.gif

Am i saying anything when u talk about ur stuff..nope..and if i do its completely ontopic...

I was just sharing info i found on another thread about this amp..so others can actually look around then just the emotiva or o2... Thats all....

and ur again doing it... Being personal...u dont know what job i have right? What car? What wife? Or the rest i have in my life..i dont need to show off..i have all i wanted in life....and maybe more..

I even tried to be funny with my post..did u see my smilies??? It looks like that when others talk about things u dont know about or disagree u try to act like a smartass and try to discredit their words...
Its not first time u do this... And i hope u get the insight that the way u sometimes post which has nothing to do with anything here on headfi can actually be bad for this thread..if u have something to share that we all can learn from..even if u not agree...then do it..if ur only to post personal smartass remarks..keep it to urself..thanks.

And plsss dont start with that we europeans dont understand the american humor way..as what u do is all but funny..in any language...in certain cultures its called herrasment even. And thats a fact.

Dude...you're doing it again. Don't blow things out of proportion.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #6,307 of 20,386
Quote:
Remind me not to participate in the headphone subreddit anymore, looks like all the ABX / NWAvGuy fanboys flocked to there and now it's just a cesspool of hypocrisy.

I just try to avoid that altogether. Way too many people grinding the same issues over and over. Everyone has an opinion that they are certain of, but on the other hand, they barely have any audio experience. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #6,308 of 20,386
Quote:

Dude...you're doing it again. Don't blow things out of proportion.

+1. 
The man can't seem to take a joke when it comes to his HE500 and 337/339...
Heck, joke on me : I am calling all HE500/Fiio E17 combo owners.  Let me know what you all think.
I am listening to mine right now at work and still enjoy my music tremendously.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #6,309 of 20,386
Quote:
Remind me not to participate in the headphone subreddit anymore, looks like all the ABX / NWAvGuy fanboys flocked to there and now it's just a cesspool of hypocrisy.

Ya I stopped going there as well. Occasionally visit it once in a while and see if anything is new/interesting. I agree with you on that completely.

Dude, I just read your thread. You were getting raped there. *Internet Hug* That subreddit is useless now, so don't waste your time there anymore, only going to waste your energy. I am speaking from experience with the flock of idiots always discrediting anyone that comes with any opinions. In my case I was telling this guy about LCD-2 with O2 and how it's bass light in comparison to other amps, I even told the guy that I had a SPL meter, psychometric curves, and held other environmental and experimental conditions....his reply....ur probably not wearing the pads right *herp derp* sigh

Head-fi is in a similar state as well. Summit-fi is still okay, but rest of the threads on the normal headphone thread are quite similar to that subreddit.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #6,310 of 20,386
Quote:

I just try to avoid that altogether. Way too many people grinding the same issues over and over. Everyone has an opinion that they are certain of, but on the other hand, they barely have any audio experience. 

+1

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #6,311 of 20,386
Quote:
+1. 
The man can't seem to take a joke when it comes to his HE500 and 337/339...
Heck, joke on me : I am calling all HE500/Fiio E17 combo owners.  Let me know what you all think.
I am listening to mine right now at work and still enjoy my music tremendously.

How do you find the E17? I might consider picking one up in the future. I used the E10 with HE-500 for two months and it was still good. I might get a HE-400 later on for portable use around the house, so the E17 seems interesting.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #6,312 of 20,386
Quote:

How do you find the E17? I might consider picking one up in the future. I used the E10 with HE-500 for two months and it was still good. I might get a HE-400 later on for portable use around the house, so the E17 seems interesting.

The fact that E17 is DAC/amp combo.  I find it perfect to use on the go.  For my Q701, I run it on +6 gain, +2 or +4 bass depending on music genre.  E17 adds a touch of warmth to the overall sound so it helps the Q701 to be a bit less dry/analytical.  With the HE500, I have to run it on +12 gain, no EQ, volume about 50% (30-32/60).  On well recorded music, I personally believe that the E17 is a great little on the go dac/amp.  Of course, powerwise, it can't compare with the E9K/Emotiva at home or other better amps but I think it's far from being "inadequate", "crap","intolerable" like some people here suggest.  Maybe, I am not as picky and my ears are not well trained as some but I think i do know when I hear decent/good sound from my experience/background in music/recording/home theater.  Playing multi instruments since 6 until now (daily) starting with violin, then guitar(acoustic/electric), bass, piano, drum and sax, I can say my ears are not too shabby(or maybe, they are already shot
wink.gif
).  and Yes, I have all these instruments at home.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #6,313 of 20,386
Quote:
The fact that E17 is DAC/amp combo.  I find it perfect to use on the go.  For my Q701, I run it on +6 gain, +2 or +4 bass depending on music genre.  E17 adds a touch of warmth to the overall sound so it helps the Q701 to be a bit less dry/analytical.  With the HE500, I have to run it on +12 gain, no EQ, volume about 50% (30-32/60).  On well recorded music, I personally believe that the E17 is a great little on the go dac/amp.  Of course, powerwise, it can't compare with the E9K/Emotiva at home or other better amps but I think it's far from being "inadequate", "crap","intolerable" like some people here suggest.  Maybe, I am not as picky and my ears are not well trained as some but I think i do know when I hear decent/good sound from my experience/background in music/recording/home theater.  Playing multi instruments since 6 until now (daily) starting with violin, then guitar(acoustic/electric), bass, piano, drum and sax, I can say my ears are not too shabby(or maybe, they are already shot
wink.gif
).  and Yes, I have all these instruments at home.

Thanks a bunch. If I get a E17, the rig will be tailored around casual listening/watching shows and movies. I'm not expecting Emotiva style full on bass, just something decent enough that I can enjoy :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #6,314 of 20,386
and if you all think that this hobby is biased and subjective, my other hobby, japanese koi, is even worse.  My kois are always pretty in my eyes.
biggrin.gif
  And yes, ever since I started this new hobby with HPs, I have thought of letting some of my beloved pets go.  1 koi = HD800 + WA7.
deadhorse.gif
but it's too hard to choose which one to let go.  I love them all.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #6,315 of 20,386
Quote:
and if you all think that this hobby is biased and subjective, my other hobby, japanese koi, is even worse.  My kois are always pretty in my eyes.
biggrin.gif
  And yes, ever since I started this new hobby with HPs, I have thought of letting some of my beloved pets go.  1 koi = HD800 + WA7.
deadhorse.gif
but it's too hard to choose which one to let go.  I love them all.

I had no clue what you were talking about so I had to look it up. Ran into this: http://www.koi.jpn.com/index.php/koi-for-sale/all-koi

Please tell me there is something wrong with those prices. 
eek.gif

EDIT: nvm. Just read up on them. Seems like they can go anywhere from $30 to couple of thousands depending on the patterns produced. The costly ones are quite rare in terms of genetics. TIL. I was thinking of getting an aquarium in the future, so good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back