HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #6,166 of 20,386
^ I second it too. Although cable-tying the stock cable to my desired length to my amp helps a lot with tangling and inconvenience, the stock cable can be made less cumbersome nonetheless. Fortunately enough my stock cables dun get microphonic, or at least I do not feel it..

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #6,167 of 20,386
Quote:
Quote:
Looking forward to hear what u think about them. 

beerchug.gif

u know me..i only talk about what i hear (with my mind)and personal experience..thats why i have all those debates sometimes with others
biggrin.gif

but ofcourse i will do a honest PERSONAL opinion once i have them...jerg and some others are very enthousiastic about those pads..so i just had to try them! and now i will...
wink.gif
i only hope i wont **** up the plastic thingies behind the cups when placing the new pads..in the past i broke two on my he300..i think hifiman has to improve the pads attachment also!!! damn another improving point for the new he500/600
biggrin.gif

Be gentle with the tabs... And use a credit card.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #6,168 of 20,386
Quote:
How about a better stock cable.

well..with my last headphones i used my aftermarket cable anyway...i only used the standard one (after 50 hours burnin) to compare it to my aftermarket cable and i have a feeling many of us invest in some kind of aftermarket cabling instead of the standard cables the manufacturers include..whether audeze,sennheiser, hifiman or any other premium brand who uses detachable cabling..imho ofcourse..

so i guess hifiman made a budget decision with the cabling...as they know many of their customers do buy other cables anyway..they even offer cables themselves on their site to replace the standard ones i understand
biggrin.gif
..so to keep the headphone affordable they had to make critical desisions...and i think they budgetted the cable a bit or else the phone would be at least 50usd more...but ofcourse i cant prove that...
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #6,169 of 20,386
Quote:
so i guess hifiman made a budget decision with the cabling...as they know many of their customers do buy other cables anyway..they even offer cables themselves on their site to replace the standard ones i understand
biggrin.gif
..so to keep the headphone affordable they had to make critical desisions...and i think they budgetted the cable a bit or else the phone would be at least 50usd more...but ofcourse i cant prove that...
wink.gif

Make sense.
     I change my He500 cable to match the amp that i use.
     I am now ordering new  powercord  in order to get specific sound signature out of  HE500
     I believe in the " snakes" hehe ..

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #6,170 of 20,386
At 699 I'm not expecting a 7n cable but at least have a cable that's sturdy and rigid. Audeze's stock cable is far better than hifiman's stock cable. A lot of people do upgrade, but on the other hand a lot of people don't buy the he-500 due to it's stock cable. Also those connectors are complete piece of trash. It's almost as if they perfected their drivers and gave up on the rest of the design. "**** it, sounds good enough, strap a ****ty headband and whatever cable you have lying around."

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #6,171 of 20,386
Quote:

Make sense.
     I change my He500 cable to match the amp that i use.
     I am now ordering new  powercord  in order to get specific sound signature out of  HE500
     I believe in the " snakes" hehe ..

I don't even.......please tell me this is sarcasm.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #6,172 of 20,386
Where did m-13 go?

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #6,173 of 20,386
Quote:

I don't even.......please tell me this is sarcasm.

I am with you here 100% but then some of us might have super hearing power
eek.gif

Anyway, my personal wish list for the HE500 will be :

• Better cable to address the microphonics.  Sound-wise, I like the stock cable just fine.
  • Different connector to make switching cable easier
  • +1 in the high frequencies to give it just a touch more "air" for my taste but then some might not like it so I guess that's what EQ is for. 

Also, I believe that my HE500 just completed its breaking in stage if there's such a thing cuz the sound quality overall has opened up within the last few days.  But then, it could also be that the Emotiva has given the drivers enough massage to bring out the improvements.  Who knows.  I am just enjoying the HE500+Emotiva too much.  When I am at work listening to the HE500 on my little E17, I now wish that I have the Emotiva at work too.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #6,174 of 20,386
I'd love to see angled drivers on the HE-500. Problem is, the driver is so large that in order to angle it in the earcup it would probably stick out like four inches from the side of your head. 

Better connectors and build quality would also be a huge plus, though I think these things are why Hifiman headphones are so inexpensive and hit higher than their pricerange. However, I would be willing to pay more if these things were improved.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #6,175 of 20,386
Honestly, if they simply just threw a sleeve over that cable it would be fine, or use wire with PE-based insulation... but a big +1 for different cup connectors.  The SMCs are fine and all, and I suspect they used them because they are probably abundant in China, but....I'd pay the slight increase in cost for mini-XLR!  Or anything that plugs and locks really...no twisting.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #6,176 of 20,386
Quote:
Honestly, if they simply just threw a sleeve over that cable it would be fine, or use wire with PE-based insulation... but a big +1 for different cup connectors.  The SMCs are fine and all, and I suspect they used them because they are probably abundant in China, but....I'd pay the slight increase in cost for mini-XLR!  Or anything that plugs and locks really...no twisting.

+1

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,177 of 20,386
By the way,  I contacted Woo Audio about the WA7.  Simon @ WA actually recommended the WA7 for the HE500 over WA6SE (I have no intention to do any tube rolling) because he believes the WA7 drives HE500 better.  WA will be at the Cali audio show in SF in august with these amps.  I can't wait to test them out and knowing myself, possibly pick one up on the spot. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #6,178 of 20,386
:D
At 699 I'm not expecting a 7n cable but at least have a cable that's sturdy and rigid. Audeze's stock cable is far better than hifiman's stock cable. A lot of people do upgrade, but on the other hand a lot of people don't buy the he-500 due to it's stock cable. Also those connectors are complete piece of trash. It's almost as if they perfected their drivers and gave up on the rest of the design. "**** it, sounds good enough, strap a ****ty headband and whatever cable you have lying around."

U know the least expensive audeze is 1299 usd right? :D so i can guess some of that money compared to the 699usd of the he500 went into better cabling :wink:

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #6,179 of 20,386
Quote:
I am with you here 100% but then some of us might have super hearing power
eek.gif

Anyway, my personal wish list for the HE500 will be :

• Better cable to address the microphonics.  Sound-wise, I like the stock cable just fine.
  • Different connector to make switching cable easier
  • +1 in the high frequencies to give it just a touch more "air" for my taste but then some might not like it so I guess that's what EQ is for. 

Also, I believe that my HE500 just completed its breaking in stage if there's such a thing cuz the sound quality overall has opened up within the last few days.  But then, it could also be that the Emotiva has given the drivers enough massage to bring out the improvements.  Who knows.  I am just enjoying the HE500+Emotiva too much.  When I am at work listening to the HE500 on my little E17, I now wish that I have the Emotiva at work too.
biggrin.gif

If they don't change their design, do what I did. Get a good balanced cable and leave it on the HE-500 permanently. If you want to use it with single ended or speaker taps, then simply get the two adapters:

1) 4 pin XLR female to 3.5 mm (with a screw on 1/4")
2) 4 pin XLR female to banana plugs

...in case you already didn't know.

Regardless, I really hope they get rid of those connectors, always got unscrewed after a few days.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #6,180 of 20,386
Quote:
U know the least expensive audeze is 1299 usd right? S: Do i can guess some of that money compared to the 699usd of the he500 went into the cable.
wink.gif

Least expensive Audeze is LCD-2 Bamboo USD here in North America, plus taxes and shipping $995 (with no duty). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back