HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #6,031 of 20,386
The thing I did not like about the stock cable on mine is that it is too stiff and I can hear it banging against itself when I move my head.  I changed to a 'Q' French silk and really like it.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #6,032 of 20,386
Quote:
Everything I read about the poor cable that comes with the HE-500 put me off buying them. I don't like the idea of screwing the locking mechanism into plastic either. I went for the LDC-2 but will probably pick up the HE-500 used at some point in the future. I'm sure they sound just as good.

Indeed, its surprising how much complaining there is about it, and that it hasn't changed yet. This thread seems to advocate buying an expensive aftermarket cable which quickly adds up the cost. If you're handy enough a cable of the same quality as a lot of these aftermarket ones can be made for about $18

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #6,033 of 20,386
Quote:
Still, it shouldn't be a big enough detractor to not get and experience any of the HiFiMan cans...I always like to see peoples impressions between them and the other planars - definitely post your comparison and impressions if you pick a HE-500 up!

Since we are on the cable, I've almost finished my modification of the stock cable.  I'll post some pictures once it's finished either today or tomorrow.

+1  
I can't wait to see what you do with the stock cable. 
size]

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #6,034 of 20,386
Quote:

Indeed, its surprising how much complaining there is about it, and that it hasn't changed yet. This thread seems to advocate buying an expensive aftermarket cable which quickly adds up the cost. If you're handy enough a cable of the same quality as a lot of these aftermarket ones can be made for about $18

I doubt you can get more than OFC and some mediocre connectors for that price.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #6,035 of 20,386
I don't know what everyone else is doing when listening but I've not had anything resembling cable noise. Now my Ety's, sure, but not the HEs.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #6,037 of 20,386
Jerg, didn't u get the magni and modi?

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #6,038 of 20,386
Quote:
I doubt you can get more than OFC and some mediocre connectors for that price.

Sommer Cable Peacock is apparently good enough for Beyer T1. So why not for HE-500?

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #6,040 of 20,386
The cable connection is fine for me. I never even think about it or had any problems with it. It's just a small nut that you need to pinch hard to screw it on tight and they you forget about it.
And the stock cable sounds fine. Upgrades are nice but not necessary.

Edit: On further thought, I have Senn HD800s, and although they sound different, I seem to gravitate more to my HE500s, and for me the musical experience from both is about the same.
So I think the fair comparison of which to buy is between the HE500s and HD800s in terms of overall sound quality. If price is a  consideration, the Hifimans are the clear choice.
The Senn 600 series is for me a generation behind in sonics.

Edit2: On even further reflection, over time, the HE500s have really grown on me even though I have the much more expensive flagships. 
I keep turning to them for the sheer joy of music w/o thinking about audio stuff, even to the point where I am surprised how much I like them so much.
Other phones I liked for a while when new and then grew away from them and sold them or just put them away somewhere.
(And I'm not just a Hifiman fanboy because the HE6s were one of the phones that I sold.)
And that I think is the most honest test of a phone over the long term. 

I mean, I'm just happy with them, really really happy, and there are only a handful of phones at any price that are in that club for me, and I went through a lot of them,
and I just feel compelled to write about them.
I think anyone thinking about the HE500s should just say yes and get them and not worry about anything.

So there.

Haha that's me told then. They sound like really great headphones and I look forward to trying them out one day.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #6,042 of 20,386
Quote:
I see ur not from western/northern europe.
biggrin.gif
. We poor euro basterds pay 25-35 % extra on taxes on top of the price plus postage for products from out of europe if its above 40euros (in the netherlands) .its a disgrace.and customs downright robs us blind...u being in usa are lucky basterds..if i understand it correctly taxes only occur above 2000usd mark..right??wish i was in the states
biggrin.gif

The risk david mentions is very much real..unluckaly...sometimes packaging from asia is not the best because of budget reasons and on top of that..the longer the journey the greater the risk of getting a damaged product...but i state..its not always the case!!! But is a bigger bet then lets saying buying here locally in europe..
And ur right risk is for seller..but did u ever try to communicate with an asian manufacturer of lets say..let me mention darkvoice, they use google translate to reply i understand..and then u have to sent ur product bsck to them..in worst case scenario it will take 3months to have a replacement on ur doorstep..dont get my wrong..u all know i love my darkvoice 337..but i am very careful buying at ebay shops in asia..no matter how small the risk can be..but as u understand..its all imho...i am waiting for a new amp coming from canada...so apart from communication..there is a risk of damaged product during transport...well in this case not..as i understand the insides of the box of transport is actually being used by some as vibration feet under their stuff..so its heavy duty stuff..but normally..buying from far always has a risk...

Oh well... When it comes to taxes, I don't think there is anywhere as bad as Brazil.
I'm thinking of buying a HE-500 but the amount of taxes I might have to pay makes me sad.

Anything that comes from outside the country is taxed by 60%. If you use Courier transportation(Fedex/DHL) add another 18% ON TOP of the 60% earlier, so it come to a total of 88%. Since the customs clearance is so complicated, the company might charge you another fee (10-30 dollars). And on top of all that, when we use a International Credit Card for the purchase (only option) there another tax over the financial operation of 6,38%. 

So buying a 699 USD HE-500, declaring its normal value can cost us almost 1400 USD. Trying to avoid these cost, not using Fedex/DHL, declaring a lower product value, might work, but if you get caught its even worse, and it takes more than a month for the package to be delivered and its risky.

From local shops the only easy to find hifi headphones are the Sennheisers. A HD-650 is retailed at 2600 BRL = 1200 USD

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #6,043 of 20,386
Email Head-direct. They can declare a low value. They can make it something like $20.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #6,044 of 20,386
Quote:
Oh well... When it comes to taxes, I don't think there is anywhere as bad as Brazil.
I'm thinking of buying a HE-500 but the amount of taxes I might have to pay makes me sad.

Anything that comes from outside the country is taxed by 60%. If you use Courier transportation(Fedex/DHL) add another 18% ON TOP of the 60% earlier, so it come to a total of 88%. Since the customs clearance is so complicated, the company might charge you another fee (10-30 dollars). And on top of all that, when we use a International Credit Card for the purchase (only option) there another tax over the financial operation of 6,38%. 

So buying a 699 USD HE-500, declaring its normal value can cost us almost 1400 USD. Trying to avoid these cost, not using Fedex/DHL, declaring a lower product value, might work, but if you get caught its even worse, and it takes more than a month for the package to be delivered and its risky.

From local shops the only easy to find hifi headphones are the Sennheisers. A HD-650 is retailed at 2600 BRL = 1200 USD

If you buy straight from Hifiman (through their internal online retailer Head-direct), they have the ability to declare the headphones at little to no value since they are the manufacturer. You could even contact their customer service beforehand to make sure that your order will be shipped from their factories with a minimal declared value.

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #6,045 of 20,386
Quote:
If you buy straight from Hifiman (through their internal online retailer Head-direct), they have the ability to declare the headphones at little to no value since they are the manufacturer. You could even contact their customer service beforehand to make sure that your order will be shipped from their factories with a minimal declared value.

Quote:
Email Head-direct. They can declare a low value. They can make it something like $20.

Yeah, but i cannot abuse it too much. The HE-500 has a nice case and if my package is opened and the inspector searches for the HE-500 real value I'll be fined by 100% of the tax (120%).

I was thinking of declaring it as a HE-300 or just as HiFi headphone with a value somewhere 99-199 USD, but I have no idea if it is safe to do that using Fedex,
The best way to try to avoid taxes all around is using USPS Priority Mail International, which will take quite a long time to arrive and it's not completely safe specially when declaring a lower value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back