HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5,971 of 20,386
I come back after months and this thread is still on the first page.  Feels good, man.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #5,972 of 20,386
Quote:

Well, the LCD-2 and LCD-3 also has good treble with good imaging and details. However, HE-500 has more energy that certain genres need. If you listen to trance, then HE-500's energy in the treble as well as air is quite exciting. HE-500 has good bass as well. Although LCD-2's bass is more controlled and tight. It starts and stops faster. 

No EQ is needed with either. Honestly, either works fine. Each have their own presentation. You just have to get used to it. For example, me going from HE-500 to LCD-2 first time, it felt boring. When I got used to LCD-2 and went back to HE-500, it felt a bit noisy and unnecessary in the treble. Just give a few hours in between and you'll get used to either.

You can get good bass out of HE-500 with most amps. LCD-2 and LCD-3, not so much. Although when you get the LCD-3's going, you'll be able to tell why they have one of the best bass out there.

Soundstage: Audeze is more intimate and 3D. It's more spherical. HE-500 is more wider than LCD-2 and 3. LCD-2 and 3 have more depth and height than HE-500. Instrument separation is better on HE-500. HE-500 does better imaging near the sides, although LCD-2 has better centerstage and imaging. For me personally, HE-500 is more speaker like, and the easiest headphone to which I got used to. Although with my personal combination, I find it lacking in depth. Essentially I find the depth:width:height ratio a bit off on HE-500. It's a bit more holistic on LCD-2/3 for my taste. 

Couldn't agree more. Or maybe I find the LCD2 to be better at intrument seperation on good recorded music. The HE-500 is more forgiving for that.

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #5,973 of 20,386
Well i received my 500's yesterday (excellent service from Justin at Headamp as usual). Unfortunately i have a cold so im in no position to comment on the difference from the HE400 :frowning2:

I honestly thought that all the complains about the stock cable where going to be a little over the top and it would be fine.  How wrong i was, the stock cable is horrible, stiff and incredibly microphonic. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #5,974 of 20,386
Well i received my 500's yesterday (excellent service from Justin at Headamp as usual). Unfortunately i have a cold so im in no position to comment on the difference from the HE400 :frowning2:

I honestly thought that all the complains about the stock cable where going to be a little over the top and it would be fine.  How wrong i was, the stock cable is horrible, stiff and incredibly microphonic. 

There a solution for that..just go toxic :wink: oops :D

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #5,975 of 20,386
Quote:
There a solution for that..just go toxic
wink.gif
oops
biggrin.gif

Maybe, but why should a customer have to buy an aftermarket cable for a $700 headphone just to ensure its usable. ;/

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #5,976 of 20,386
Quote:
Maybe, but why should a customer have to buy an aftermarket cable for a $700 headphone just to ensure its usable. ;/

Yeah it sucks man. Possibly the worst stock cable I've seen on a high end headphone (I wish every stock cable came with something like that on a D2000 - so sexy). It sounds okay though, just irritating and stiff to use. You could always make your own cable with the connectors included and save money.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #5,977 of 20,386
Quote:

Yeah it sucks man. Possibly the worst stock cable I've seen on a high end headphone (I wish every stock cable came with something like that on a D2000 - so sexy). It sounds okay though, just irritating and stiff to use. You could always make your own cable with the connectors included and save money.

Id love to but in all honesty i don't really have the skills nor the time to get a satisfactory result.  I have been looking at Forza Audio Works Colour cable.  Its "only" 99.99% OFC but without starting another cable debate im sceptical of the benefits of 7N cable.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #5,978 of 20,386
Quote:

Id love to but in all honesty i don't really have the skills nor the time to get a satisfactory result.  I have been looking at Forza Audio Works Colour cable.  Its "only" 99.99% OFC but without starting another cable debate im sceptical of the benefits of 7N cable.

I have two of those 7N silver cables from Headphone Lounge and another from Norse Audio. Haven't really found any serious difference in sound quality. However, the lightweight, lack of microphonics, strength of the cable made it much for tolerable and totally worth it for me. I am not noticing any permanent changes in sound over stock cable that I can tell every time. Found this true for HE-500, LCD-2 and so far the LCD-3 as well. Also, I recommend not paying anything over $200. A cable from $100 - $200 should be fine. Get a long one something like 6-8 ft. This is what I've found personally on my current system. Others also share the same opinions as me. However, some others have indicated some difference in sound quality. Whether it's placebo or actual difference, you decide 
wink.gif

Also, find a retailer that has little/no wait time. I forgot if it was Norse or Toxic - some people have waited over 3 months for a cable. I personally can't wait for something like that. I got my cables from Headphone Lounge (Chris_Himself on Head-fi) and it was priced okay. Got them in less than a month, which might seem long, but in the custom cables world, it's actually decently timed. So you can get a 7N custom cable and have it well made for comfort and also the peace of mind that you are getting the best out it. Hope that helps.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #5,979 of 20,386
moon audio and double helix cables make nice cables as well =]

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #5,980 of 20,386
Quote:

I have this cable from Brian Goto

8 Strand SPC Headphone Cable
SKU 00011
Weight  3.00oz
Braid Type: Round
Length: 10 ft
Headphones: Hifiman
Termination: Dual Nickel 3-pin XLR

Quantity: 1
Price (each): $268.00

which works well with my system.  It took about a month to break in but now I prefer it to an alo reference 8 which is considerably more expensive.

Cheers!

Gus

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #5,982 of 20,386
Quote:

I have two of those 7N silver cables from Headphone Lounge and another from Norse Audio. Haven't really found any serious difference in sound quality. However, the lightweight, lack of microphonics, strength of the cable made it much for tolerable and totally worth it for me. I am not noticing any permanent changes in sound over stock cable that I can tell every time. Found this true for HE-500, LCD-2 and so far the LCD-3 as well. Also, I recommend not paying anything over $200. A cable from $100 - $200 should be fine. Get a long one something like 6-8 ft. This is what I've found personally on my current system. Others also share the same opinions as me. However, some others have indicated some difference in sound quality. Whether it's placebo or actual difference, you decide 
wink.gif

I believe but:
1)any diferences are not always easily understood
2)also depends on the rig used
3)i love norseaudio for Q/P but, until today, i warned perceivable diferences(although not large) with moonaudio blu/black dragon that are the same cable, only difference is the size

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5,983 of 20,386
I got a 7N with 1% gold
tongue.gif

Any cheap cable makers out there, aside from toxic?

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #5,984 of 20,386
Quote:
I got a 7N with 1% gold
tongue.gif

Any cheap cable makers out there, aside from toxic?

Define cheap. A price range?

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,985 of 20,386
Quote:
I believe but:
1)any diferences are not always easily understood
2)also depends on the rig used
3)i love norseaudio for Q/P but, until today, i warned perceivable diferences(although not large) with moonaudio blu/black dragon that are the same cable, only difference is the size

1) I notice a better blackground with more clarity and more crisp sound with silver cables. Noticeable but not really anything big. For some it won't be worth it, for me so far it's been worth it, usually more from the comfort aspect.

2) Very well could be in my current case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back